Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mo Mowlam transferred to hospice

Options
  • 15-08-2005 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Her entering the Maze is what every newspaper fixes on, as if that was the totality of this great woman.

For me it was her endless good humour in the face of personal as well as political difficulties. Next was her total honesty, a trait not obviously present in many politicians. Well she was honest in spades. That combined with being a lady, allowed her to be brutally honest, whereas a man would get in trouble.

Her shafting began near the close of negotiations of the Good Friday Agreement. Big Ian could not stomach being treated as an equal by a whiskey drinking, honest, WOMAN, and ran to TONY in London. Totally incorrectly, tony dealt with ian so bypassing our Mo. It was clear to all that Mo was proving too popular for tony. Worse was when his imminent arrival in Belfast to finalise the Argument was portrayed as the coming of christ and Mo was totally sidelined.

At the recent funeral of another great honest englishman COOK, tony was denounced from the pulpit. Well, I'll denounce him now as a spineless lap dog for his treatment of one of his most loyal and successful cabinet ministers. He later replaced the BEST Northern Secretary EVER with the acknowledged "Prince of Darkness." Good for bile drinking ian and his ilk, but never for the future of peace in the North.

Mo will live on LONG in the affections of the Irish people, long after tony is a foot note on the list of "could have beens".

"aThank you Mo. Here's hoping we will see you again on the Emerald Isle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Even though I believe she was played as a fool in the north I was sad to hear about her being admitted to hospital and later a hospice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 righthand

segaBOY wrote:
    Even though I believe she was played as a fool in the north I was sad to hear about her being admitted to hospital and later a hospice
    "she was played as a fool in the north" by which side. She was no body's fool. She knew what she was doing. The prize was peace and she put that above all. Would that more would!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One of the best anecdotes I heard was at one particularly intransigent moment, she lost the rag with "the lads" and shouting, she whipped off her wig and slammed it one the table.

Its hard to argue with a bald woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

An absolute legend, the greatest woman politican SEEN in Ireland in the past 50 years even though she was only really around for 2 of those and for a few years before as opposition spokesperson.

We never came up with anything of that calibre on either side of the border.

She should have been PM .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

righthand wrote:
    At the recent funeral of another great honest englishman COOK,

Wash your mouth out with soap and water. Try 'great honest Scotsman'.
    (not that his ex-wife would probably agree with you, but whatever)
    righthand wrote:
    "aThank you Mo. Here's hoping we will see you again on the Emerald Isle.

Any female politician who tells a filthy joke on 'So Graham Norton' [what do your birthday, you toilet bowl and your clitoris have in common?] is OK by me and I would share your sentiments. Sadly, there's only one way out of a hospice and it's not a holiday trip.

A good woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

[what do your birthday, you toilet bowl and your clitoris have in common?]
    Tell me .....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor wrote:
    Tell me .....
    I'm going to guess it's something to do with men/husbands always missing them. Or something.

Shame about Mo. Shame Tony Blair's inner circle decided they didn't like her too - plenty of the ordinary plebs did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

sceptre wrote:
    I'm going to guess it's something to do with men/husbands always missing them. Or something.

Exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement