Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-alcoholic beer

Options
  • 15-08-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I need a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like a beer for an experiment... Any suggestions? From what I can gather, most of them taste like crap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

This is going to be very much a matter of personal taste, but the Beck's non-alcoholic stuff (black ring around label rather than red for with-alcohol) is surprisingly good as far as my palate can detect...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Whats the experiment?
    I've often thought about one where a mad free-beer party was held (say in a college), but dont tell the people its non-alcoholic beers etc...
    I'd be interested to see if a placebo effect would happen where people acted in a drunk fashion the more they drunk and the later it got.
    Maybe you could use some of the current non-alco beers and pass it off as some strong foreign brand the "target" never heard of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

grasshopa wrote:
    I need a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like a beer for an experiment... Any suggestions? From what I can gather, most of them taste like crap...

There is no such thing. Even German alcohol free beers are pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Can't give away details because people from this board know me... but you're on the right track...

Would you recognise that it isn't actually alcoholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Of course ya would...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They've done experiments like this in universities before. They gave one group 6 pints of alcohol-free beer and another 3 pints of normal beer. The boozeless people were more 'pissed' than the ones drinking acohol. Probably some effect of group inhibition-losing.

i dont think so... as I said, pass it off as some foreign muck.
    Probably best you try the most potent smelling / tasting of the lot and use that one.
    You cant tell some foreign beers if they have alcohol, they just taste so damn weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Beck's non-alcoholic ain't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Sleipnir wrote:
    Beck's non-alcoholic ain't bad at all.

I drink Becks N/a all the time and the only thing good about is is that it is better than drinking lots of Coke. It tasts like pis but with ice it ain't bad. The acloholic version is nice though.

There is a poor and inconsistens selection of N/A bears.
    I got N/A Erdinger (in Traffic, i think) nice
    Hoslten N/A in Cassidy's Camden street.
    Aslo some other ones that i can't remember the name of. They.re actually hard to pronounce when you're sober.

Could also try the porterhouse. I think they have a few.

PS
    BECKs NA has .3% alochol. Which is plenty for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

They've done experiments like this in universities before. They gave one group 6 pints of alcohol-free beer and another 3 pints of normal beer. The boozeless people were more 'pissed' than the ones drinking acohol. Probably some effect of group inhibition-losing.

Any chance you can point us to this study please

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    yeah, I'd love to get more info on this.
    Perhaps meself and my mates could use the results and findings to somehow go on the piss ordering nothing but pints of water...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Erdinger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Non-alcoholic beer = non-orgasmic sex. Tastes like piss and only gets you pissed if you're in an experiment! And the placebo effect would be negligible once you're aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Erdinger!
    Is Erdinger non-alcoholic? I quite liked Erdinger when I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Crucifix wrote:
    Is Erdinger non-alcoholic? I quite liked Erdinger when I tried it.

Erdinger do a non-alcoholic version. Blue label and says Alkohol-Frei on it. I read a review of non-alc beers in the Times before and it rated the Erdinger stuff as top notch. Plus Erdinger is a weissbier and not a lager so most people won't be familiar with the taste. Even if they were drinking the proper version they'd think it tasted funky so they're less likely to cop the absence of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Didnt they do this in Freaks and Geeks once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Thanks for the replies. We're running an experiment, I'll give details when it's over. The people won't know about it. We have loads of empty bottles of obscure french beer to put it into. We have 4 in on it, two of us documenting and 2 who will be actually a bit pissed (but acting really pissed).

They'll have shown up earlier than everyone else and will be "drunk" when everyone else arrives. The rest of them will drunk nothing but non-alcoholic beer. There are loads of little complications to sort out. If you know me off this board, shut your mouth and gimme a ring!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

chump wrote:
    I wish I could, or could even remember where I read it (it was a blue paperback book, in about 1994, further details escape me). This was the closest I could find after a quick search.

And yes, there was a similar experiment in an episode of Freaks and Geeks (given the sheer volume of posts referencing that show on boards, we could maybe expect a second series :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

whiskeyman wrote:
    I've often thought about one where a mad free-beer party was held (say in a college), but dont tell the people its non-alcoholic beers etc...

Ha, reminds me of that Freaks and Geeks episode... God that's a funny show! It worked the way they showed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

Oops too late. Damn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My dad drinks Kalibar non alcohol beer or becks now. I dont know the diff in taste between good beer or bad beer so can't help there.

Nah, the freaks and geeks will unfortunately never return to our screens. Stoopid Americans!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Erdinger's non-alcoholic version is pretty good, my brother chose that when he was going thru a phase of not drinking. Non-Alcoholic Beck was also a regular choice when places didn't have the Erdinger option.

I've never touched the stuff tho so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC low alcohols beers are usually made two ways. One is by using an enzyme to break down the ethanol, the other by using vacuum distillation to boil off the ethanol at a lower temperature. The second changes the taste more ?? Anyway they both remove ethanol but leave behind almost all the other nasty things that can cause hangovers. :(

You could try a strange beer - say one of those trays from Lidl or Aldi - so it won't taste normal anyway. If you could soak off the labels and change them or recap the bottles you might have a better chance of getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

To the OP: Report back to us how it goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

IIRC low alcohols beers are usually made two ways. One is by using an enzyme to break down the ethanol, the other by using vacuum distillation to boil off the ethanol at a lower temperature. The second changes the taste more ?? Anyway they both remove ethanol but leave behind almost all the other nasty things that can cause hangovers. :(

QUOTE]

The hangovers aren't great with Becks NA.
    Makes you think that you're still drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭seanin4711

this stuff is great!
    1 It tastes Like beer(most important)
    2 Isotonic (training for dublin city marathon!)
    3 Contains Vitamins
    4 Low fat!

I have a very young family and dont have time for hangovers so this is a refreshing tasting beer and ticks all boxes for me!
    slan
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Drinking non alcoholic beer is like going down on your own sister.......it tastes the same but you know it's just not right:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭seanin4711

markfla wrote: »
    Drinking non alcoholic beer is like going down on your own sister.......it tastes the same but you know it's just not right:D

I wouldnt know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I wouldnt know!
    what part of "it's just not right" do you have a problem with ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Did you entertain the possibility that he doesn't have a sister???

Advertisement