Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points question

Options
  • 15-08-2005 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

hi, i supposedly received 4 penalty points over a year ago, and to this day i still hgavent received any official notice saying that i received them...however i told my insurance company about it in may when i was renewing my insurance...so of course it upped the price a bit....but do you have to declare them before you actually receive a piece of paper saying that you have the points? im guessing that my 3 year 'sentence' wont begin until im issued the points (if that ever happens?) but im already paying for it now....opinions? cos i feel like ringing up my insurance company and demanding my money back!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

damo wrote:
    hi, i supposedly received 4 penalty points over a year ago, and to this day i still hgavent received any official notice saying that i received them...however i told my insurance company about it in may when i was renewing my insurance...so of course it upped the price a bit....but do you have to declare them before you actually receive a piece of paper saying that you have the points? im guessing that my 3 year 'sentence' wont begin until im issued the points (if that ever happens?) but im already paying for it now....opinions? cos i feel like ringing up my insurance company and demanding my money back!

How can you "supposedly" get penalty points, either you get them or not.

The points do not go on your licence until you get notification from the Gardai and you have paid the fine (or contested it in court)

Sounds like your insurance is too high this year!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AFAIK the Dept of Transport tracks these and issues the points. Get onto them to track down the "alleged offence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

i definatley 'got' the points, but i definately havent received anything official about it...im thinking an old run of the mill bit of garda incompetence may have intervened and the points were never issued, anyone ever heard of this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

damo wrote:
    ....bit of garda incompetence .....anyone ever heard of this happening?

Garda Incompetence, nooooo :eek: that could never happen ;)

ok i just rang the dept. of transport, they checked my licence and theres no points on it! definately no points recorded on the licence.....

so do i ring up my insurance company and ask for my money back? surely i shouldent have to pay until the points are issued onto my licence (which i dont think is ever gonna happen at this stage - good old useless guards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

damo wrote:
    so do i ring up my insurance company and ask for my money back?

Hmm, that could be a real interesting conversation. How do you intend to put it?

damo wrote:
    ok i just rang the dept. of transport, they checked my licence and theres no points on it! definately no points recorded on the licence.....

so do i ring up my insurance company and ask for my money back? surely i shouldent have to pay until the points are issued onto my licence (which i dont think is ever gonna happen at this stage - good old useless guards)

Get a letter from Dept confirming this and then get onto Gardai(Dublin Castle if you're in Dublin) . I'd also call insurance company and see the lie of the land. After all you were honest enough to "admit" to it.
    Off topic know someone who has been "done" twice and neither occasion was it their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

cloned plates? Similar car with your plates?

hey bond, now you mention it.....i remember distinctly (in court) the guard reading out my registration number...he read out the wrong number - he got 2 numbers the wrong way round...i didnt think anything of it though, after all the points go on your licence and not the car and i thought he took my licence number...maybe he didnt though! that could be it?

also just to show how incompetent that guard was, when he did me for speeding the insurance disc on my car was out of date, now it happens that i was actually insured i was just waiting for my insurance company to send me a new disc in the post so i would have been ok if he had noticed...but he didnt, useless ****

p.s i rang my insurance company and they will be refunding the extra i paid for the points at the next renewal

• Advertisement

damo wrote:
    p.s i rang my insurance company and they will be refunding the extra i paid for the points at the next renewal

Good news. That's as good as it gets unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

damo wrote:
    You're in very murky water here my friend!

Firstly I got the impression from your posts that the Guard had just nabbed you at the side of the road, issued the points, and went on his merry way.

But you were in court?! Dude! Do you realise that if you are ever in any serious smack that involves a substantial pay-out that the insurance company quite likely will check that you were in court recently? Court records are based on the names and residencies of individuals, not their car reg. numbers!

In such a situation you may find that your insurer will walk away from you and declare your policy null and void.

Now if you were in Court re the points, personally I'd say that that was very much 'official notification' of your penalty points!!!

I'd get this cleared up, as you'll be effectively driving around with an insurance policy not worth the paper that it's written on.

i did tell them i was in court though when i was taking out the policy, so i was truthful about that and now im truthful in saying i dont have any penalty points, cant see that im doing anything wrong

just for the record does anyone know if the guard having my car reg wrong could be the cause for me not receiving those points?

Advertisement