Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Technical Checks - Driving test

Options
  • 15-08-2005 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Can anyone supply correct answers to these? I would be able to guess some of them. but i just want to make sure.
    thanks

Technical Checks.
    You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, (h) steering, (i) brakes, (j) horn.

Access to some of the items listed above will require you to open the bonnet and to close it securely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Technical Checks.
    You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, -They will have a thread depth indicator. Just be sure they are fresh and it will be fine. If they are boarder line get new tyres. Also the Roads agency has a depth checker (piece of card) that you can get for free. Say to get hold of that and measure your depth against the limit.
    (b) lights, -You explain how you sit in the car turning each on in turn to check and get a mate to do the breaks
    (c) reflectors, -Just shine a torch on them to ensure they work as they are supposed to.
    (d) indicators, -Just as per the lights turn them on and walk around the car.
    (e) engine oil, - You should be able to manage that one, or you shouldnt be driving.
    (f) coolant, - Read the car manual and see where it is supposed to be when full and make sure it is.
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, - same as F
    (h) steering, - Not sure how you are supposed to check it (new one on me) assume turning the wheel and ensuring it doesnt catch the arches
    (i) brakes -Im not going to suggest this one too important so will wait for a pro.
    (j) horn. - Press the button!

"Access to some of the items listed above will require you to open the bonnet and to close it securely."

Yup ensure you do a 3 run test. Ie closed to open 3 times with no mistakes. Be sure you can do it quickly and without hesitation and by quickly I mean without taking 10 minutes to do the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

astec123 wrote:
    Technical Checks.
    (a) tyres, -They will have a thread depth indicator. Just be sure they are fresh and it will be fine. If they are boarder line get new tyres. Also the Roads agency has a depth checker (piece of card) that you can get for free. Say to get hold of that and measure your depth against the limit.
    (b) lights, -You explain how you sit in the car turning each on in turn to check and get a mate to do the breaks
    (c) reflectors, -Just shine a torch on them to ensure they work as they are supposed to.
    (d) indicators, -Just as per the lights turn them on and walk around the car.
    (e) engine oil, - You should be able to manage that one, or you shouldnt be driving.
    (f) coolant, - Read the car manual and see where it is supposed to be when full and make sure it is.
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, - same as F
    (h) steering, - Not sure how you are supposed to check it (new one on me) assume turning the wheel and ensuring it doesnt catch the arches
    (i) brakes -Im not going to suggest this one too important so will wait for a pro.
    (j) horn. - Press the button!

"Access to some of the items listed above will require you to open the bonnet and to close it securely."

Yup ensure you do a 3 run test. Ie closed to open 3 times with no mistakes. Be sure you can do it quickly and without hesitation and by quickly I mean without taking 10 minutes to do the whole process.

thanks,

so anyone know what to do to test steering and brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drive and brake....

No seriously - For a steering check, what they want you to do is make sure that you have sufficient power steering fluid in the reservoir. If you don't have power steering, great!

For brakes, same dealy - ensure you have enough brake fluid. Also mention how you would check from inside the car (brake pedal feel/travel) and while driving (shortly after getting into the vehicle, drive slowly at a safe spot, and press the brake progressively to ensure it works as expected)

Advertisement