Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Academic Licenses - Microsoft

• 15-08-2005 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you are legally entitled to continue using Microsoft software purchased using an academic/educational license once you leave college?

Paticularily wondering if, for example, you release something under GPL using Visual Studio Academic version ..can the lawers come after you if they determine it was created by someone not in college anymore?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here's the link
    http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/education/licensing/

in typical microsoft fashion there is a lot of FUD to get you to buy a license but how long it lasts is quite well hidden. tbh I cba looking up their T&C's again - it is just too confusing - I'd nearly consider it entrapment.

If the code was already complete & debugged then it should be compilable on a legit version, and if it's GPL then you are releasing the native code, without compiling it..

Can the lawyers determine if it was compiled on an academic version, no idea, but technically it would be trivial for them to set up that option on their program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

IIRC the license is for as long as you are a student; personally I consider myself a life-long student...

I think so long as you 'educate' yourself with it, and dont use it to profit, MS cant be arsed to bother you. Usually when you sue, you have to clearly show how you have been denied profits and why.

I could double check with a hex editor, but I think somewhere theres a note in the code saying it was done with an academic version. I know they used to put it in free copies with books, and learning editions of VS 6.0, I havent checked with VS 7.0 or greater.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SolarNexus wrote:
    IIRC the license is for as long as you are a student; personally I consider myself a life-long student...
    Problem is, your opinion is irrelevant. It's Microsoft who define what they consider a student to be.

Remember M$ software is not bought or sold, it's only licensed. And once you accept the license you have to follow the terms and conditions. AFAIK You have no rights under the sale of goods and services act for the software, just the media itself.

Advertisement