Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like to be gay in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

I think you will see allot more straight couples walking holding hands and kissing that gays.. i think the gay side of all this is still in the Jurassic period

Do you think about evolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cronus333 wrote:
    I found em... not great attitudes when I told my friends. One won't talk to me and another said 'these things can be cured!'. Everyone else were just kinda squeemish.

Hey don't worry about it too much - just keep reminding them you are still the same person you were before

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Hey don't worry about it too much - just keep reminding them you are still the same person you were before

**** them tbh. The squeemish ones will come around if you show them it's no big deal. But the one that thinks it can be cured and the one that won't talk to yea can go to hell. imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tonyinuae

LiouVille wrote:
    **** them tbh. The squeemish ones will come around if you show them it's no big deal. But the one that thinks it can be cured and the one that won't talk to yea can go to hell. imho.

Quite right! Dunno why, but I was a bit surprised that some people still have that kind of reaction in this day and age. They really have no excuse for ignorance/incomprehension anymore, not with the coverage that being gay gets these days.

Talking of which, I clicked on a link on one of the threads yesterday to a site called godhatesfags - I was amazed that such rank hatred could exist - maybe I've been leading a sheltered life, but this blew me away - how sad some people's lives are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

LiouVille wrote:
    It's an irish/catholic thing that most people are at least slightly uneasy about showing public signs of affection to one another. It's not limited to being gay.

I agree with that, i would only occasionally hold my partners hand in the street although we might embrace briefly if larking around in the supermarket or something, we certainly don't have snogathons on the street corner.

As far as being gay in ireland goes, we've never had any serious issues with anybody. We're both totally out to family friends neighbours etc. We come in for a bit of grief from certain gay friends because we're totally non scene though and that tends to piss me off more than anything else, being accused of being too normal :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement