Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Shop in Galway

Options
  • 15-08-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Surprised nobody has posted about this already.

A new head shop has opened just off Middle Street selling magic mushrooms and truffles as well as bongs, skins etc.

They sold out of their entire mushroom stock in two days. I'm just waiting to see if there's any backlash in the local press about it.

Legally selling mushrooms in Galway? Sounds like a money maker to me.

Anyone else been in there yet? Will there be uproar about this place do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm sure a headline will soon be on the front page of the Advertiser. With a completely unrelated picture of children enjoying "Wash The Elderly" day 2005.

Is it wrong of me to always associate the headline and picture? :)

In any case, I approve of said shop, even if I probably will never visit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah - there are two shops like that in Cork atm and no one is making a fuss about it. In fact, there was something in the paper about the shrooms recently and apparently it's legal to sell them and the authorities have no intention of changing the law any time soon.

Wait until some eejit falls off a roof under the influence though and there'll be a national outcry, lynching of headshops and deep thinkage about the children - mark my words!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Surprised nobody has posted about this already.

A new head shop has opened just off Middle Street selling magic mushrooms and truffles as well as bongs, skins etc.

They sold out of their entire mushroom stock in two days. I'm just waiting to see if there's any backlash in the local press about it.

Legally selling mushrooms in Galway? Sounds like a money maker to me.

Anyone else been in there yet? Will there be uproar about this place do you think?
    hmm i was n there on saturday,nice place..
    there is a petition on the desk to legalise mushrooms or somesuch.also lots of skins and bongcleaner like stuff in there.
    i was wondering why i hadn't noticed it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Where exactly is it?

Cause I'd like to see it for myself.... I always find that kind of malarky quite interesting.

if anyone has ever been to Camben Town in London, you will see guys selling shrooms on the street..... as well as big fat Jamaicans rolling coners with one hand.... quite amusing to see!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

First we get a sex shop(located nextdoor to a church!), then a strip club and now this! could galway be finally leaving the middle ages!? im just waiting for an angry mob with flaming torches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Where exactly is it?

Cause I'd like to see it for myself.... I always find that kind of malarky quite interesting.

if anyone has ever been to Camben Town in London, you will see guys selling shrooms on the street..... as well as big fat Jamaicans rolling coners with one hand.... quite amusing to see!

It's on the little street that connects Middle Street to St. Augustine Street. Right beside H-Blox clothing in the premises that used to be the Angel Shop.

You won't see people selling shrooms on the street in London anymore I don't think. Haven't the British government moved them up to a Class A substance and banned the sale of them (fresh or prepared)?
    First we get a sex shop(located nextdoor to a church!), then a strip club and now this!

We've got two sex shops in that area - one just beside Trisha's cafe on Lower Abbeygate Street. Yay! I live in the redlight area of Galway!

You won't see people selling shrooms on the street in London anymore I don't think. Haven't the British government moved them up to a Class A substance and banned the sale of them (fresh or prepared)?

Hmmm... They were there last summer..... i will have to investigate when i go over next!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yay! I live in the redlight area of Galway!
    i was shocked last year when given what i thought would be a charity card thing or somesuch,only to find out it was for the gentlemans club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Great news! Cant wait to pay it a visit and sample some of their finest fungi.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

If abbeygate street is the red light district, then domnick st. must be the pink light district. although it is getting less pink since all the "special" bars moved out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

hes getting a lot of stick from the guards i think
    sound fella that owns it ive been in there 3 times already he even gave me free stuff when i bought a load of stuff n there
    get em while u can.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

hes getting a lot of stick from the guards i think
    sound fella that owns it ive been in there 3 times already he even gave me free stuff when i bought a load of stuff n there
    get em while u can.....

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Because he isn't doing anything illegal the Gardai technically can't do anything but I suppose they can give him loads of hassle.

Also there could be the usual protests from upstanding members of the community. Remember when High Society had to move from Bothar Mor?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can we work out some odds as to which Councillor will initiate the moral outrage on this one?

i recommend the truffles kratom and mexican mushies

Mr_G^_^ wrote:
    i recommend the truffles kratom and mexican mushies

Fancy! Our very own board's connosiure (correct spelling) of shrooms!

I'm going in for a lash tomorrow... See what I can see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Robbo wrote:
    Can we work out some odds as to which Councillor will initiate the moral outrage on this one?

I say the hippie one... he puts his name to everything... then again, he might enjoy the shop.

Smelly hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Pretty bad timing......... its nearly mushy season, so its an early morning trip out to the race course for some free shrooms, plus I actually prefer the Irish shrooms to the store ones........on the other hand its bloody handy if you have a nice sunny day off though...........

What kinda prices is he charging?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

simu wrote:
    Yeah - there are two shops like that in Cork atm and no one is making a fuss about it. In fact, there was something in the paper about the shrooms recently and apparently it's legal to sell them and the authorities have no intention of changing the law any time soon.
    Legal to pick them and eat them raw. Illegal to prepare // <dry> them.
    My knowledge of the letter of the law isn't 100% on the latter.

I'd be casually interested to know, that sort of stuff makes good idle chat for the taxi ride.
    Wait until some eejit falls off a roof under the influence though and there'll be a national outcry, lynching of headshops and deep thinkage about the children - mark my words!

Until they turn to page 3....

Robbo wrote:
    I'll give you 7/2 on the fat one with the lazy eye

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

SyxPak wrote:
    You're not narrowing it down with that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

I'm wondering if it's possible to petition the city to have this shop open 24/7? surly if a bunch of old biddies can ban condom ads on the radio we can be just as annoying? personally i'd never touch mushies, but I'm not against anyone taking them. and i find it annoying to have civil liberties stomped on by the older generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Pretty bad timing......... its nearly mushy season, so its an early morning trip out to the race course for some free shrooms, plus I actually prefer the Irish shrooms to the store ones........on the other hand its bloody handy if you have a nice sunny day off though...........

What kinda prices is he charging?

S.

20 quid a bag is what i got stung for... although well worth it!

damn right they're well worth it could barely walk down to dunnes the last night after half a pack of truffles and 3 cups of mexican

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sarky wrote:
    I'm sure a headline will soon be on the front page of the Advertiser.

Nope, the City Tribune beat them to it ... it's on page one. They went down and bought some mushies and the cops don't seem to know the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

SyxPak wrote:
    I can never tell those five guys apart. Oh you mean the one who owns a pub but thinks underage drinkers should stick to pints and stay away from 'dangerous alcopops'? Oh it'll definitely be him. And I never took mushies apart from that one time but my feet got to be huge like surfboards and the colour of my skin changed all the time....

'c

sounds good im going down there on monday to get some mushies for my mates b day

tesco value baked trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

is there age restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

COCK wrote:
    is there age restrictions

Yup, you have to be 18 to by the shrooms..

I wonder if the law is the same as with drinking on this one? Ie if it's illegal or not for someone over 18 to buy them and give them to someone underrage (not that anyone cares or anything, I'd just be interested to know..).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Fobia wrote:
    Yup, you have to be 18 to by the shrooms..

I wonder if the law is the same as with drinking on this one? Ie if it's illegal or not for someone over 18 to buy them and give them to someone underrage (not that anyone cares or anything, I'd just be interested to know..).

yeah it's the same as drink foir underage "kids".

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to temporarily lock this thread until I clarify the exact legal situation regarding mushrooms. First person to PM me a link to an authorative Irish site clearly explaining what is and isn't legal with regard mushrooms gets a pat on the head.

Before you cry freedom, let me explain:
    It has been my experience that those who follow a certain lifestyle are often overly näive and ignorant of the damage they are having on their own interests and are the first to complain when steps have to be taken to avoid placing those responsible for the content of sites like Boards.ie in legal jeopardy.

Read: Stop talking about how cabbaged you were the last night you morons. There is no such thing as a right to free speech on any site on the internet. The hostmasters are generally answerable for the content of the sites they administer and as such could face legal difficulty because you are too foolish, lazy or selfish to simply allude to your activities instead of stating them outright. I know Galway has a certain reputation, and I'm proud of that in a way, but don't take the piss.

DO NOT REFER TO THE DRYING, BAKING, HEATING OR DEHYDRATION OF PARTICULAR SPECIES OF FUNGI.

When I'm sure of what is and isn't legal to post, I'll re-open this thread as I want to find out if this store sells any clothes made from hemp - I'm looking for a pair of combats that I can be buried in several decades from now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement