Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Shop in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

The "some clothes shop" is Anthony Ryans just in case someone is thinking of the wrong turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Me, thinks he was on the buckie aswell......
    very irresponsible, pointless and stupid. I hope the shopowners stress the danger of doing that for their own business' sake

cool shop though...OCB slims rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

OCB slims rule!
    You speak the truth.

I dont understand people who do shrooms at night time out in public, your just asking for trouble, especialy if you have a run in with a Guard or a Doorman. They should be done in a field on a nice sunny day or in doors with mates.

s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

OCB Slim really do rule. but Smoking Master skins are by far the better choice. im quite partial to pot & pan. they give you a nice long slim "rolley".

Anyway that aside. i finally ventured in. while they dont have the same selection as V2 or the Dublin head shop/store ( read : no damned blunts! and i so wanted an apple martini "cigar" ) but still very nice. Very clean premise. well stocked + laid out. Good prices and they have the large roach books :D

So, how long before some poor fool does himself damage. jesus why aint there public outcry when some poor 15 year old gets their stomach pumped because they drank too much?

Again: who do we petition to keep this valuable service in the city? i'm quite sick of all the old biddies doing all the moaning ( the last straw was the bit for a ban on condom advertising on the radio )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

fairies might work behind the counter who knows ^_^
    as for that clown running around talking about eating faces that is the type of thing that will get the guys that own the shop in a lot of trouble.
    I wish people wouldnt ruin a good thing before it even takes off.
    Galway is entitled to a shop like this and i think it adds to the city itself.
    However if a load of muppets go running around screaming about giant yellow spotted chinese penguins then the future of the shop will be short lived.

everyone say hi to smokey when they go in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Mr_G^_^ wrote:
    Galway is entitled to a shop like this and i think it adds to the city itself.
    Cant say im "in love" with the idea of such a shop, but I guess in away it does add to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

it's near one of the sexshops. I havent been down there yet, something about large queues forming outside for particular types of not-for-consumption incense has put me off. I hope they put a stop to that carry on otherwise they'll shoot themselves in the foot.
    Not for consumption incense - are u saying that they are selling 'other' fun things to not to consume just like the mushies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

oh they're for consumption alright like tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

SyxPak wrote:
    Anyone care to post up directions or a website for this shop?

They usually have various ornaments and textiles which I'd be interested in.

And I suppose you're also one of these people who only buys Playboy for the articles? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Neuro wrote:
    And I suppose you're also one of these people who only buys Playboy for the articles? :D

I'm more of a Farm & Country man myself

• Advertisement

jasonh wrote:
    Not for consumption incense - are u saying that they are selling 'other' fun things to not to consume just like the mushies.
    no that's just the way I saw them packaged somewhere before, I think it might have been in the 'dam. Not sure what way it's been done here (but I'm gonna find out soon, heehee)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

SyxPak wrote:
    I'm more of a Farm & Country man myself

TMI! TMI!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

My friends ventured out to Cuba on Monday night after a bit of a session of drinking and "eating" (wink wink nudge nudge)

Bad idea! :eek:

the night ended with one guy, hallucinating that he was being locked in a cupboard by someone..... all along he was standing on the dancefloor, upstairs.

Madness i tell you.....

Apparantly very silly to mix the two!

what with all the midgets sustained from drinking buckies, and all the pink spotted elephants from the other stuff!

I finally plucked up the courage to actually to the guy instore!

He took me through what everything was....etc.

Showed me all the stuff, explaining that it was mostly herbal natural stuff.

Honestly what a legend!

Dude, bit of friendly advice:

Download Irfanview or Paintshop Pro or The GIMP (google for the names) and resize your sig image. Compress it to jpeg at ~20% compression (80% quality).

I finally plucked up the courage to actually to the guy instore!

He took me through what everything was....etc.

Showed me all the stuff, explaining that it was mostly herbal natural stuff.

Honestly what a legend!

yeah they are sound enough in there they don't seem to rip you off (although i have heard one or two stories)

if anyone has any worries or questions about them drop me a pm and i'll try and answer the best i can.

oh yeah and the irfan program can be found here it's a really good program and free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 prguru

bets on its padriag connelly.....the man has a complaint about everything...get a shag mate....

Yeah fookin 50 press releases a week, EVERYTHING HE HATES ABOUT GALWAY

Get a shovel, some seeds and a hammer, plant eyre square yourself and finish the Walter Macken flats ya bollox. End rant, back on topic: drugs drugs the musical fruit...

SyxPak wrote:
    Dude, bit of friendly advice:

Download Irfanview or Paintshop Pro or The GIMP (google for the names) and resize your sig image. Compress it to jpeg at ~20% compression (80% quality).

Thanks!

I've been getting quite a bit of hassle about my sig!

I'm in the process of re-sizing it!

prguru wrote:
    bets on its padriag connelly.....the man has a complaint about everything...get a shag mate....

What about the legendary "Concerned Resident, Knocknacara"?
    Belting out regular contributions to the editorial of every Galway Advertiser.

• Advertisement

Honestly!

what's the point complaining...... everything is legal! The cops have nothing on the shop.

Except the fact that once or twice.... under 18's have been caught in there. (Jesus! as if that matters :rolleyes: )

I'm sure there was an uproar, when the sex shop opened.... and look! we have 2 in the centre of Galway city and another few dotted around the outskirts!

Once people accept, that there is nothing they can do. The sooner, they can imagine paper bags climbing up mantlepieces.

People don't accept drugs in the city though. Ah well, better to have people on mushies than on heroin I say!

grasshopa wrote:
    better to have people on mushies than on heroin I say!

Never a truer word spoken!

Heroin, Coke and all those hard drugs are now readily available to be gotten in Galway, with a good bit of effort.

Take away the effort, substitute with softer, natural drugs.... guaranteed, most drug friendly people will go for it!

That's only my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

danniemcq wrote:
    it is legal to grow them, it's only the preparing that'll get you in trouble otherwise like you said half the country would be locked up. AFAIK it's illegal to knowingly germinate the seeds
    Many growkits are illegal here, since many are dried mycelium in substrate (sort of like root in soil). Since it is dry and contains active psilocybin/psilocin it is illegal to sell them. Other growkits are legal.
    It is legal to germinate the spores (mushrooms produce spores, sort of like tiny seeds).

Press release July, 13th 2005

UN sees no reason to ban mushrooms.

On July 18 of this month Psilocybe mushrooms become illegal in the UK. The new law banning Psilocybe mushroom has been formulated to clarify the existing law. The existing law is a direct result of the UK signing the United Nations convention of psychotropic substances of 1971. The U.N. International Narcotics Control Board exists especially for clarification of and promoting compliance to the UN conventions on narcotics. The INCB has a tough policy on drugs and has recently condemned the downgrading of cannabis to class C in the UK and slapped the US for being soft on party
    drugs. Still the International Narcotics Control Board sees no need to ban Psilocybe mushrooms. There is no loophole in the law; magic mushrooms are legal with reason.

In a Dutch court case of Dutch mushroom distributor De Sjamaan, earlier this year Dr.Lousberg, the vice-president of the INCB explained:

Low risks
    In 2000, Coordination point Assessment and Monitoring new drugs(CAM) did a study on the risks of Psilocybe mushrooms. The CAM is part of the EU Early Warning Mechanism. It came to the conclusion that there is no need to ban Magic Mushrooms. The risks towards public health, criminality, public order, addiction and many other concerns are too low. The sales of magic mushrooms prevent people from going into the woods picking mushrooms and misidentification of magic mushrooms with toxic wild mushrooms. Dr. Lousberg was one of the experts working on the study.

Since then there has been no new data to conclude otherwise. In fact new research and data only confirmed the outcome of the study. Mushrooms are 100% legal.

The delegates of the United Nations did not find it necessary to put psilocin containing mushrooms on the list of controlled substances. Only substances placed on the list of controlled substances are controlled. For this reason, not only cocaine, but also coca leaves are listed. Psilocybin and Psilocin are listed, but not the mushrooms themselves. This has been done on purpose. Many naturally occurring plants contain controlled substances. If that would be a reason to ban mushrooms or plants, a large part of nature should be prohibited. Another reason not to ban naturally occurring plants, is that the UN
    delegates concluded that banning naturally occurring plants is legally not feasible.

The concentration of psilocybin and psilocin in magic mushrooms is of course much lower than the pure substances. As the concentration goes down, so does the risk. The concentration of psilocybin and psilocin is too low, to pose enough risk to justify a ban. Since magic mushrooms are not controlled, neither are preparations of magic mushrooms. Only if one would separate the controlled substances from the mushrooms, an illegal preparation would be produced.

After consulting the United Nations on Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the
    International Narcotics Control Board has made it clear in various letters that Magic mushrooms do not fall under international control.

International Narcotics Control Board meeting on Psilocybe mushrooms:

In the light of the testimonial of Dr. Lousberg in the court case and after recurrent questions on the legal status of Psilocybe mushrooms, the International Narcotics Control Board established an ad hoc working group to look into this matter. To re-evaluate the view of the INCB on Psilocybe mushrooms and suggest to the board; wording to use in future communications on this issue. The sessions took place from May 17 – 28, 2004. The working group discussed the matter in dept and concluded that the wording presently used by the secretariat of the INCB should remain as it is:

“At present, no plants (natural materials) are controlled under the 1971 convention of psychotropic substances. Consequently, preparations (e.g. decoctions) made of these plants, including Ayahuasca (and Psilocybe mushrooms), could be considered as not being under international control and therefore not subject to any of the articles of the 1971 convention.”
    *Note of vice-president Lousberg
    EU Free Trade treaty

The testimonial of the vice president of the INCB is essential in regards to the EU Free Trade treaty: This treaty, signed by the UK, forbids the UK to ban goods, which are legally produced in other EU countries. Most magic mushrooms are produced in the Netherlands. But the EU free trade treaty does not preclude prohibition justified on grounds of public health. The testimonial of Dr. Lousberg makes it impossible to claim with any credibility, that the mushroom ban is justified on grounds of protection of public health.

good post, I like this argument:
    The sales of magic mushrooms prevent people from going into the woods picking mushrooms and misidentification of magic mushrooms with toxic wild mushrooms
    I have one reservation and that is what happens if lots of people start using legal (undried) grow kits to do the same? it would be legal but if lots of people did it and didnt pay tax on what they sold then the government wouldnt allow it. They would either change the law to ban mushies or they could go down the more unlikely but best-for-everyone approach of giving the headshops licenses and prosecuting the non-tax paying growers/suppliers. I dont think the likes of the vintner's association lobby group would be too pleased with the latter idea though so some propaganda such as the quote above would certainly help the cause.

"There is no loophole in the law; magic mushrooms are legal with reason"

The system works!

Thank you rubadub, very informative :)
    The testimonial of the vice president of the INCB is essential in regards to the EU Free Trade treaty: This treaty, signed by the UK, forbids the UK to ban goods, which are legally produced in other EU countries. Most magic mushrooms are produced in the Netherlands. But the EU free trade treaty does not preclude prohibition justified on grounds of public health. The testimonial of Dr. Lousberg makes it impossible to claim with any credibility, that the mushroom ban is justified on grounds of protection of public health.

I particularly like that, as it shows the UK law to be illegal (insofar as my understanding goes).

But in regards this forum, we'll just assume that if someone mentions having a good night they were eating raw unprepared mushrooms like the good, respectable people they are and broke no laws.

Muppets who post without thinking will have their post subtley edited, voice protest in a calm and respectul manner if you wish, but don't expect leniency if you acted like a tool.

Carry on feens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i saw the stars last night and they were like shhhrroooom!

by theby should i keep my unprepared mushrooms in the freezer or fridge.i put them in the fridge for like a week now and they seem tohaveturnedinto a gooey mess...

i saw the stars last night and they were like shhhrroooom!

by theby should i keep my unprepared mushrooms in the freezer or fridge.i put them in the fridge for like a week now and they seem tohaveturnedinto a gooey mess...

the freezer you fool, the colder the better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm pretty sure this thread is gonna be closed, judging by the fact that all the other threads about mushrooms have been closed, and the users banned for saying where to get them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement