Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Shop in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If the directions are to a shop where raw, unprepared mushrooms are being sold, there's nothing illegal about it. I won't lock a thread just because it's about mushrooms. But again, if an SMod or Admin holds a different opinion, I won't protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finally some logic! Good stuff man, thanks.

Have I ever demonstrated otherwise? :)

I'm sexier than Spock

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

danniemcq wrote:
    the freezer you fool, the colder the better!
    If you freeze fresh mushrooms, the cells expand and explode, they look ok but upon defrosting they will turn to a goo aswell.
    In saying that, it is far better to freeze them if you are not going to use them straight away. You could just eat the frozen ones straight away, still frozen, and let them defrost into an easily digestably goo in your stomach.
    The frozen ones could be added to soup, if it was legal. Freezing also reduces loss of potency due to oxidation.

Many growers prefer "freshies", many report a more visual high from fresh ones. Mushrooms have 2 main active components psilocybin and psilocin, these are contained in different ratios and some say the different ratios give different highs. This is similar to the THC/CBD ratio in cannabis plants. The higher the THC:CBD ratio the more "clear high" you get, a high CBD count lead to the stoned "couch-lock" effect. Most cannabis grown in morroco is left to over mature leading to high CBD ratios. While in amsterdam special pure strains of cannabis sativa, give low yeilds but have very little CBD and command very high prices.

Different species of psilocybin mushrooms have different cybin/cin ratios, also upon drying the ratio changes too with many people reporting different effects from the same flush of mushrooms.

The afterhours forum specifically says you cannot dicuss magic mushrooms in it. They are perfectly legal. They are legal in some US states defined as "carriers" of illegal substances. Just like the human brain is a natural carrier of DMT which is illegal, cows milk is a carrier of morphine, yet is still legal. It is illegal to distill beer to concentrate it, it is illegal to extract psilocybin to concentrate it, it is illegal to extract morphine from cows milk.

Theres a lot of bullshlt legal theories "oh, it doesnt say it is legal or illegal so its a grey area", wrong, normal mushrooms are not listed in law by species name either, do people really think every species of the 1000000s out there has to be listed in law or otherwise is "a bit dodgy" to possess or even talk about. Mushrooms are covered by law, under whatever guidelines there are for normal mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

SyxPak wrote:
    I'm sexier than Spock

He can play the guitar, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

rubadub wrote:
    Theres a lot of bullshlt legal theories "oh, it doesnt say it is legal or illegal so its a grey area", wrong, normal mushrooms are not listed in law by species name either, do people really think every species of the 1000000s out there has to be listed in law or otherwise is "a bit dodgy" to possess or even talk about. Mushrooms are covered by law, under whatever guidelines there are for normal mushrooms.

Appreciate the post, it was very informative... but I don't know here if you're saying that they're illegal or not. The last two sentences seem to contradict each other

grasshopa wrote:
    Appreciate the post, it was very informative... but I don't know here if you're saying that they're illegal or not. The last two sentences seem to contradict each other
    People are saying that Psilocybe cubensis is not listed as being illegal. These people are then saying its legality is a "grey area" since it is not specifically listed as being legal either! What I am saying is that e.g. the common edible mushroom Agaricus bisporus is not listed as being illegal, it is also not specifically listed as being legal, most species of plant and animal are not listed in law, therefore they are legal by default. Nobody questions the legality of Agaricus bisporus because it is not specifically mentioned in any laws.

Then people are saying the Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms are not covered by law, fresh Psilocybe cubensis fall under the same laws as any other edible mushroom. Tescos could sell them no problem. If they did they might remove the biased and hypocritical "ban" on discussion in afterhours.

There is a forum dedicated to another legally available recreational drug, ethanol/alcohol. I think many would find it strange if this was reversed, i.e. if there was a forum dedicated to psilocybian mushrooms and the discussion of where off-licences are located was banned from after hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so in the frezzer or fridge...i would still have goo on my hands...nuts...
    anyway...might as well use my goo for research purposes...

So how are you supposed to store them in non-gooey form? Where do the headshop keep em?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

maybe they just sell them straight away?

• Advertisement

Is demand really that big? And wouldn't it be a bitch to get in such small orders?

And what do all the mushroom pickers do to store them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rubadub wrote:
    People are saying that Psilocybe cubensis is not listed as being illegal. These people are then saying its legality is a "grey area" since it is not specifically listed as being legal either! What I am saying is that e.g. the common edible mushroom Agaricus bisporus is not listed as being illegal, it is also not specifically listed as being legal, most species of plant and animal are not listed in law, therefore they are legal by default. Nobody questions the legality of Agaricus bisporus because it is not specifically mentioned in any laws.

Then people are saying the Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms are not covered by law, fresh Psilocybe cubensis fall under the same laws as any other edible mushroom. Tescos could sell them no problem. If they did they might remove the biased and hypocritical "ban" on discussion in afterhours.

There is a forum dedicated to another legally available recreational drug, ethanol/alcohol. I think many would find it strange if this was reversed, i.e. if there was a forum dedicated to psilocybian mushrooms and the discussion of where off-licences are located was banned from after hours.

Amen, brotha

grasshopa wrote:
    Is demand really that big?
    In one shop in dublin I saw them do about €200 of business in about 5 minutes.
    grasshopa wrote:
    And wouldn't it be a bitch to get in such small orders?
    And what do all the mushroom pickers do to store them?
    I imagine they get it sent in once a week. They are stored in a fridge in the shop. The mushrooms are about 92% water, the sclerotia (truffles) are about 70% water and so can be kept for a very long time in the fridge without going off.

Rumour has it that they're going to stop selling them... Rumour - don't beat me if it's false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Where did you hear this rumour? Cause they seem to be doing pretty strong business from them so I don't see any reason why they would stop.

Off a friend, I'll clarify it with the friend in question when I see him I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

hmmm well the shop next to it is up for rent or something like that so he might have got them confused, did he happen to be in the head shop around the time he told you?

No paddy told me but I don't know who told him. I'm guessing it's related to this thread though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319015&page=2

ah come on how many people die from drinking accidents every year and pubs are still open. i've been hurt after doin something stupid while pissed but never on mushies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got some actually from there at the weekend. Twas all in good fun and harmless.

• Advertisement

It's more than good fun.... I dunno, very few people seem to get what I get off it. Only three that I know of so far...

Yeah I know but this is drugs... like non-alcoholic drugs :p If the media/public did latch on to it they'd be banned in an instant..

I wonder what percentage of politicians have tried them...

All of them, forfty percent of people know that.
    So are you allowed talk about them on boards.

'got them,great craic lads ahaha'

Thursday's advertiser, "Padraic Conneely takes enormous dose of Magic Mushrooms, discovers secrets to the universe and eyre square"....

grasshopa wrote:
    Thursday's advertiser, "Padraic Conneely takes enormous dose of Magic Mushrooms, discovers secrets to the universe and eyre square"....

wrote it down in a mates copy to only regret it later... ;)

STFU!

Did I dream it or does it say in some charter somewhere that in-jokes are banned?

*mumble* two glass balls two glass balls* I still stand by that theory of the universe but probably could have explained it better. That night was fookin CRAZY - and I'd also like to see what I wrote in your notebook...

Truthfully I remember most of it but don't want to :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Just to confuse the legality aspect even further...well actually I dont want to give the guard's/dpp free ammo on what they should know already.

Lets just say theres a dodgy legal argument that could be made on the back of knee jerk legislation passed a few years back. ;)

www.bailii.org is yer only man for knowing the law.

What is this indecipherable waffle you are saying?

Sometimes I wish people would be a little less cryptic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

grasshopa wrote:
    *mumble* two glass balls two glass balls* I still stand by that theory of the universe but probably could have explained it better. That night was fookin CRAZY - and I'd also like to see what I wrote in your notebook...
    Be carefull you dont start believing that mushies are going to enlighten you or unlock the secrets of the universe...they wont. They just alter the chemistry in your brain which may make you think about things differently but setting out on a mushroom fuelled voyage of discovery is just going to leave you dissapointed with the sober thoughts of reality and may eventually mess your head up. I've seen the damage that that sort of thinking can lead to and while shrooms may not directly do damage, the inability to cope with or accept reality can lead people to believe that there is some secret or a less harsh meaning to life that can be discovered by getting off your face which just makes the person less inclined to get on and thrive in the (it has to be said) harsh reality of our existence.

btw I'm aware of the theory that shrooms may be alien to our planet as fungal spores should be able to exist in a dormant state in asteroids (fungii do not share anything in common with flora and fauna) and therefore they may have helped shape our idea of spirituality or the hint of an existence of god. A cool theory but while the idea of a god may have been sparked by shrooms I dont believe that they will ever give an answer.

Excuse double post... edit function isn't working in Konqueror for some reason.

If it's anywhere it's here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA12Y1977.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA18Y1984.html

• Advertisement

grasshopa wrote:
    What is this indecipherable waffle you are saying?

Sometimes I wish people would be a little less cryptic...
    The ironing....delicious it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement