Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Security Q

• 15-08-2005 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm getting Breeze from IBB installed shortly (shure, we'll give it a go anyway...)

While I've read loads about securing my wireless home network (routers, WPA, SSID broadcasting, MAC filtering etc); I've seen no disucussion RE the level of security applied between my rooftop antenna and IBB's nearest high site :confused:

If traffic on a wireless home network is vulnerable to snooping.... how is my connection to the IBB high site secured (if at all) ?

Can someone please explain?!

Thanks *beginner*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Traffic on your home network isnt vulnerable to snooping. All you have to do is use proper encryption, mabye some MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcast, etc.

IBB use their own legacy encryption standard. Also, the fact that they use non-standard, hardware and a section of the radio spectrum other than 2.4ghz helps. 3.5, IIRC.

Also the fact that for someone to even sniff your encrypted packets, they must be within your signal range. Ie-the area that the person has to be: is highly focused, and basically is like a 'tube' only a few metres wide from your antena to the local IBB mast.
    The fact that most antenae are not on the ground floor also helps. :)

Advertisement