Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre AGM Online IRC Meeting

Options
  • 15-08-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

For those that cannot make the AGM on Sept 10th, the Committee are considering having an online IRC meeting where we can give feedback on the year to date and answer any questions you may have. We will figure out the technicalities of the meeting closer to the time, but right now if you are interested in attending, just post a reply here.

Also, if you want to make suggestions post away.

Damien.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll lurk if I'm around.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

Yeh I'll be up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I'll try pop my head in

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Timing permitting, I'd be up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Funkeee

Yes, that's suits me a lot better - I wasn't going to be able to make it the weekend of the AGM..

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'd pop along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

An online IRC meeting is a good idea...but realistically your going to be leaving a lot of people out because of the relative complexity of the chat medium.

Honestly though its probable the best way to get a lot of people chatting together in the absence of a dedicated chatroom.

zuma wrote:
    An online IRC meeting is a good idea...but realistically your going to be leaving a lot of people out because of the relative complexity of the chat medium.

Honestly though its probable the best way to get a lot of people chatting together in the absence of a dedicated chatroom.

You are joking right?

IRC has to be so simple to setup. for example I'll show you the commands necessary in mIRC to connect to a channel.

Set your nick and email.

/server irc.yourservergoeshere.com
    wait until it connects
    /join #chatroom.

Hell if thats too complex I could setup a java applet which connects automatically to a channel etc, just give it your nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

TimTim,

Don't underestimate some peoples phobia to new things on the computer. A lot of people just want browsing and email. IRC might be something new to them and won't bother, or think they can't, set it up.

I know loads like that. I don't understand it either but that's the way it is.

If we could make it as simple as possible, then great.

A java app on a website would be great. They would just have to click the link and put in their username. But won't they also have to have JVM installed too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's great. Didn't know it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Sure, if I can make it.

damien.m wrote:

Heh, that was the exact same package I was going to setup if the boards version didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a good idea (I can't go to the AGM). I should be able to go. Is it possible to have it in the evening for dial-up users?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'll be there.

Vitrually, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I suppose the next thing is what time and date?

I would recommend a weeknight after 9pm.

Sometime before the AGM :D

But not too soon so maybe between Monday 29th August and Wednesday 7th September? Maybe even that is too late as we may have to find stuff out, or prepare for the AGM on foot of the IRC session.

Or maybe we'll just announce a time and date if no particular date seems forthcoming.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'll be in. Anytime after 7.10pm during the week suits me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'll be there. Let me know when it's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

roger roger count me in, if I've landed

Advertisement