Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thought, taught, thaught and tought also where and were

Options
  • 15-08-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I'd never seen these words mixed up before I saw this site:
    thought, taught, thaught and tought
    All of these are used commonly for the words 'thought' and 'taught'. Reminds me of "I taught I taw a puddy cat".

also where and were. I never knew these words were confused. Some posters with good command of English consistently use 'where' for 'were'.
    'We where going out for a meal.'

I like misspellings as they add individuality to a style of writing. However, it's not so good if you can't follow the meaning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yup - it never fails to amaze me how poor people's level of spelling is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

My favourite is "Your team are going to loose the match"

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Here's an image to use if you see someone using "tought" ;)

tought.jpg

Excellent - it might be an idea to make a set of cards dealing with common spelling mistakes actually. You could just slip them at random into AH threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

AH is a bounty for misspelling, of which I'm guilty of at times I'm sure.

Pity you can't post images on AH. :(

These things aren't really dealt with in school past the primary school stage when it's obviously a problem.

• Advertisement

grimloch wrote:
    These things aren't really dealt with in school past the primary school stage when it's obviously a problem.

True. After primary, they expect you to pick up good writing skills on your own with the odd correction from a teacher here and there. Some people manage; others never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

simu wrote:
    True. After primary, they expect you to pick up good writing skills on your own with the odd correction from a teacher here and there. Some people manage; others never do.

I would attribute my spelling to healthy doses of reading from a young age, thanks to my good parental units.

God knows I wouldn't have learned it properly at school.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's spelled 'taut'.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think it's spelled 'taut'.
    what is?

Advertisement