Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct on imported car

Options
  • 15-08-2005 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just imported a saab 900, I have registered it, and have temporary tax and insurance. I was wondering if anyone knows when I will need to have the car nct tested. Legally, you don't need nct for tax, or insurance. But, the nct will be due at some stage after I tax it. It needs some work done on it first, so I was hoping there would be some time for this before the nct, as I don't want to have to take it off the road.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need the NCT on its 4th, 6th, 8th .... anniversary of original registration (registered in the first country) as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Victor wrote:
    You need the NCT on its 4th, 6th, 8th .... anniversary of original registration (registered in the first country) as usual.

Is that in the statute book ...as law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Gerry wrote:
    It needs some work done on it first, so I was hoping there would be some time for this before the nct, as I don't want to have to take it off the road.
    There'll be as much time as you like. You won't have to do an NCT unless you apply to do one. Doesn't make much sense, I know.

IrishRover wrote:
    There'll be as much time as you like. You won't have to do an NCT unless you apply to do one. Doesn't make much sense, I know.

Anyone know what the actual legal requirements on NCTs are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone confirm about not needing an NCT for insurance? They asked me for an NCT cert for my last car, I want to be able to tell them to piss off this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Anything I have read, keeps saying that you need teh NCT cert for the road tax. But tbh, I don't remember showing that to anyone when I got my car taxed and insured...
    .... Come to think of it I know I didn't coz I drove around for about 6 months before I got it NCT'ed.

I don't think they know themselves what the law is ;)

Anything I have read, keeps saying that you need teh NCT cert for the road tax. But tbh, I don't remember showing that to anyone when I got my car taxed and insured...
    .... Come to think of it I know I didn't coz I drove around for about 6 months before I got it NCT'ed.

I don't think they know themselves what the law is ;)

Afaik not one person has been prosecuted in this country for lack of an NCT, as yet anyway.

I imported my car earlier this year (MOT is valid until Jan '06), I called the NCT people to enquire about the regulations, they said they would back-date the NCT to January this year - before the car was even in the country.

I haven't NCT'd it as Northern drivers MOTs cover them to drive here, it just seems like a money racket to me. Haven't had any problems with tax or insurance so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

The sham is the government and its collection of VRT .
    The crazy thing about Irl is we dont have a vehicle inspectorate and therefore any piece of crap from any country in the world can be re registered in Ireland and only has to meet the standards applicble to the original country of registration . So buy a car from Saudi Arabi no cats no stringent emission controls no problem .
    I know there has been some issues regarding lights and the NCT on imports but i think if pushed hard enough the NCT will have to accept the lighting once it conforms to the original country of registration .

Advertisement