Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it easy to replace a broken electric shower?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

My cheapy electric shower (triton or suchlike) has stopped heating water. What should I do?
    1. Fix it?
    2. Buy a new one and install it myself?
    3. Pay a plumber to rape me?

My wife's helpful suggestion is to spend 6K on a steam shower whatever the fcuk that is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

I haven't washed since last thursday and I think people in the office are starting to look at me funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Since I am one of those contractors who "rape" customers the best advice I can offer you is to eliminate Item 1 if you intend trying to fix it yourself as electricity and water can be a tad hazardous.

Same probably applies to Item 2 unless you are qualified to mix electricity and water safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

3... but make sure your bent over with your trousers down when he gets there other wise he may charge more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

They're not difficult to fit. To make everything easier for yourself though, it helps if the replacement is roughly the same size as the old one and the inlet is at the same position at the back of the unit. This might not be possible though so just make sure you can install with the minimum of work (clearance for the shower from the wall when its connected to the inlet is very important. If you don't have enough, you have to rearrange the pipework- messy and involves tiling as well.
    Also make sure you know where the supply is coming from - (mains or the tank) and the replacement is compatible with the type of water supply set up you have.
    Don't forget to kill the power at the breaker and double check theres no power with a meter. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Zaph0d wrote:
    I haven't washed since last thursday and I think people in the office are starting to look at me funny.
    Very helpful concentrating the mind on a rapid fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As the lads said it can be easy enough , if your lucky, you mentioned a triton, the past few models of triton have been more or less like for like, ie the water and electrical connection are in the same place, so if its an old Triton T90, is should match up with a T90i or a T90SI. Mira chanded their shape a while back. I see very little difference between a Mira and a Triton, others will say one or the other but they are very much alike, so go for the newer model of the one your replacing. If its not an easy direct change over then get a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Zaph0d,

I recplaced an old Mira a few months ago with a Triton T90i. There was water poring out of the bottom of it. When I opened it I decided that it was too old and rusty looking to have it repaired. I spent about two and a half hours replacing it. It could be done by a pro much faster I guess but I read and reread the instructions before doing anything.

Every time I have a shower now I remind myself that I fitted it.

Remember, mixing water and electricity isn't much fun if you're the one taking the shower. Ask your wife to test it out before you stand under it.

Dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Thanks for all the good replies. I think I'll pay for it to be done properly. Otherwise I might kill the wife and child. I'll get the plumber to fix a few other things while he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

3... but make sure your bent over with your trousers down when he gets there other wise he may charge more!

What a complete load of arse!!!

I think that is a wize decision - like roofPete suggests - you'll only end up killing yourself!

Advertisement