Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Voice - What's this now?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this new place in the building where doyle's hardware used to be, near the army barracks? "Kilkenny voice" is on the windows and there's people farting about on computers and stuff inside. Is this a new newspaper or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah i heard theres a new paper coming to kk. apparently its not going to be as conservative as the kilkenny people so lots of tabloid scandal ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There is an 'Athlone Voice', recently bought by the Alpha Group. Before the buyout, there was plans to open a title in Mullingar, but they have since gone back on it, said they were just going to concentrate on the Athlone paper. Didn't hear anything about Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Saw the offices when i was home at the weekend. Looks very swish.

Apparently "Right On Rhattigan" handed in his notice from KK People to move to KK Voice as have one of two of the other reporters, as well as two ex-KK people staffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jenna_

well it can only be an improvement-Rhattigan was about the best the People had really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Rhattigan was good?

or the best? meaning the rest was total crap ? becuase he is harmless tweee, wouldnt get a grade for what he puts out there in journalism school

whole paper is crap, which is a pity because t could be so much more

• Advertisement

But how else would we know how Mrs Murphy on Haltigan Terrace is doing or the goings-on in Breda's Chippy on Friary Street?

I just read Ratigan is gonna be the editor . What a way to start a new publication, bring on a barely readable columnist as editor.

i realy hoped they don't think this is some great achievement, maybe the guy was head hunted

but lol i'd of boiled it in a pot.

Wonder would I get a job as an agony aunt.
    "Dear Hmm
    I just discovered my girlfriend has a wooden leg, should we break it off?"

" Dear Hmm, I am despairing what to do. me and my new man got kinda close on the weekend, and I found out he's only one foot. yours, Worriedin Ballyhale

Dear WorriedinBallyhale, most people would thing you were spoilt with 1 ft"

"Dear Hmm I have terrible moles on my legs, what can I do ?

Belt the little buggers with a mallot til the get the message"

"Dear Hmm, Is there really a G spot ? MooncoinRose

MooncoinRose, yes there is but , considering the foto u attached I think this will definitely be only a case of SELF discovery"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny: New Kilkenny Voice raised on newspaper market

The long-established Kilkenny People is to have competition as a new regional newspaper, the Kilkenny Voice, will be launched before the end of the summer. Jimmy Ratigan has already left the People to head up the Kilkenny Voice as editor while publisher and key financial backer will be John Sheils. The first copies of the ninety-six page, full colour compact paper are expected before the All Ireland Hurling Final in September. Sean Hurley, former Kilkenny People editor, is said to be taking on the consultant part of the new paper and Donie Butler and

Paddy Horohan will also join the team.

July 22, 2005

And theres more

KILKENNY is to have a second weekly newspaper before the end of the summer, a new regional newspaper which will battle for readers with the long-established Kilkenny People.Well-known sports and news writer, Jimmy Ratigan, has already left the Kilkenny People to head up the new Kilkenny Voice newspaper as editor.

The publisher and key financial backer is John Sheils, former managing editor with the Sunday World.

The new paper will be a 96-page, full colour compact, a big change from traditional broadsheet format of the People.

Its first edition is expected before the All Ireland Hurling Final in September.

Among the Kilkenny Voice’s contributors will also be former Kilkenny People editor, Sean Hurley, who is also said to be acting in a consultancy capacity to the new paper, advising it on staffing, content and other matters.

The local staff will also include senior sales executive, Donie Butler, also formerly of the Kilkenny People and commercial manager with the FAI and

Paddy Horohan from advertising sales with local radio station, KCLR FM.

The Voice will have a city centre base, close to the railway station, and will be printed outside of the county. All of its key staff are local and have an unrivalled local knowledge.

The new editor only left the Kilkenny People yesterday after 38 years with the paper.

“The Kilkenny People is a very well respected paper,” Mr Ratigan said. “We will be a young newspaper, a very positive newspaper and we will be the people’s newspaper.

The Kilkenny People newspaper has enjoyed unrivalled coverage of the city and county during its lifetime. Its new editor, Tom Molloy, has changed the focus of the paper since taking over a year ago, attempting to appeal more to younger readers.

Kilkenny People editor, Tom Molloy said:

“The Kilkenny People has been a dominant newspaper in the Kilkenny area for the past 100 years. I don’t see that changing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

Please can anybody supply an e-mail or phone number for this new paper?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sales@kilkennyvoice.ie
    www.kilkennyvoice.com
    Telephone 056 779 4700
    FAx: 056 779 4801

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jenna_

Rhattigan was good?

or the best? meaning the rest was total crap ? becuase he is harmless tweee, wouldnt get a grade for what he puts out there in journalism school

whole paper is crap, which is a pity because t could be so much more

the best! not saying much I know! but the whole paper's a load of childish nonsense!

I am almost moist with anticipation.

I hope they do Vox Pop too.

got this today, looked through, slightly more readable, but when u see Write on Rhatigan, and that Mrs Murphy sh1t, gawd.

16 pages on kids going to school, cutting edge journalism there, and any number of articles on the killings but wit almost as much space given over to priestly pastoral words on same.

I guess my Mum will like it (having cursed the KP and its lack of substance for years)

And I know its only in its infancy

but I never liked babies

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had a look at one of the issues when I was on a few weeks back, it ain't bad and its nice to see their reporting on issues that are more real then what the kilkenny people has ever reported.

imho the Kilkenny people hates reporting anything bad about the city and if they MUST report about anything bad it happens in the county :)

I was disgusted last year when Neil Jordan was filming parts of Breakfast On Pluto in Callan, the Irish Times & RTE covered it more then the Kilkenny people did!

The had maybe 3 pictures related to the film during August/September, the best being the church on fire...however they mentioned "film being made in Kilkenny" or something along those lines with no writeup about it and no further photos with the exception of the church on the front page.

I hope the Kilkenny voice kills them because form what I've seen its a big improvement.

</rant over>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dark overlord

I think the main problem with the media in kilkenny is that it is written by older people for older people it is the late teens to late 20's who are being pretty neglected i mean they send some girl out on the town to talk to people in a drunken stupor on a saturday night and think that will suffice :confused: .
    Theres a lot going on in this town if only a little light was shone on it. years and years ago i was involved in starting up a magazine for teenagers in kilkenny but teenagers we were and got waylaid and more interested in going out than working on a magazine. But now older and wiser and having a journalism course under my belt i think i may be interested in doing something i that line again i work full time so the publication would only be a periodical perhaps a monthly dunno anyone else fron Kilkenny be interested? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kilkenny

I think it's no harm at all that the KP has got a bit of competition ... it had gone to the dogs over the last few years. Apart from the sports coverage, which was fairly decent, all we got were ...
    ... lists of people who were caught in pubs after hours, or had broken the speed limit, etc.
    ... pictures of groups of twenty-somethings grinning inanely in Langton's or in Matt's (fair play to them, I've grinned inanely in both venues myself more than a few times, but I don't consider that news!)
    ... ads, ads and more ads (and yes, I know newspapers need ads to keep them solvent).
    Local papers ideally are as much a community resource as anything else. We don't really expect Pulitzer level reporting from them, but it would be nice if they actually reported the local news, and offered informed comment on local issues ... and maybe that could include celebrating the positive achievements of local people (of ALL ages) and informing local people about events / projects etc. in the local area which could be of use to them.
    My own experience recently has been that sending a press release etc. to the KP was fairly much a waste of time ... if accompanied by a photograph, there was a 50 / 50 chance that it might appear, but the text and the substance of the story were very unlikely to get a look in.
    So far, I think the Voice does a better job as a local paper ... time will tell. If nothing else, it might make the KP staff pull their collective socks up!

Advertisement