Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long links.

• 15-08-2005 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any input on what they use for making long 802.11b links?
    I often use a pair of satellite dishes with wifi cards waterproofed and mounted at the focal point.
    Other times, I find it better to use a pair of highly directional antenae connected to the radios through 2.4ghz cable.

Which do you use? Who are the best irish suppliers of antenae, in your opinion? Also, which access points and cards do you find to have the strongest radios?

By long links, I mean 2 miles plus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Satellite dish's were not designed for wi-fi networks in mind. They may well work ok, but your not getting 100% use of them. I have a 15dbi omni in one town, and a 19dbi parabolic in another town 6 miles apart!! I am able to send a strong enough signal to give off 4mbit's at the recieving end. I use two cheap routers from solwise in the uk http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-wap011a.htm .These are put up on the pole beside the antenna using POE. they are capeable of full 11mbit bandwidth with a signal of -86dbi.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

That sounds like a pretty kool set up you have there paddy, i've been trying to do something along the same line here in ballyfin for the last while but that Pheenet WAP-011A Access Point might be the answer! Any pics of ur setup?

Ps. Wheres my sight survey? -;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Ps. Wheres my sight survey? -;)

Before the Weekend, I promise.

Advertisement