Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many muslims are there in ireland?

• 15-08-2005 7:19pm

just curious!oh yeah hi to hashir!i no youll be in here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

CSO 2002 Census 19,000

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

As the census is 3 years old, and the likelyhood of a significant number of illegals from some of the less secure/wealthy regions of the world, I'd say you could safely double that number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Read the charter. Back it up or your going on a weeks holiday.

Brief google says 76-80k. However I take offense at the illegals comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

even in Lucan I have seen that they are a lot of Muslims settling in our area. I think this is a good move towards a multicultural ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

That's not exactly an example of "friendly irish", is it boardsee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Boardsee now on a two weeks holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

thought there would be more....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AbuBakr

r3boot wrote: »
    thought there would be more....

Alhamdulillah! 2006 Census: 32,500. Yes, Islam's the fastest growing religion in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sarsfield wrote: »
    As the census is 3 years old, and the likelyhood of a significant number of illegals from some of the less secure/wealthy regions of the world, I'd say you could safely double that number.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Brief google says 76-80k. However I take offense at the illegals comment.
    AbuBakr wrote: »
    Alhamdulillah! 2006 Census: 32,500. Yes, Islam's the fastest growing religion in Ireland.

Illegals is a poor term to use since Ireland doesn't really have a large illegal alien problem as such. What we do have, and might be a bit more accurate, is a large number of false asylum applications (false as in those making them are really potential immigrants and not fleeing injustice & persecution as per the UN-charter on the matter). I would imagine that a sizeable portion of asylum applicants from Africa would follow Islam although I will add that I really have no idea as to what constitutes "sizeable" here; could be a minority, could be a majority.

So with the above in mind, and with the slow down in the economy and reversal of migration trends, I think we'll probably see the growth-rate of Islam in Ireland start to level off and grow (or shrink?) more steadily based on the working assumption that much of the growth to earn it the title of "fastest growing religion in Ireland" has been since the mid 1990s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Are there many native Irish converts to Islam in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Suppose this could be split up to a few different questions:

How many Muslims moved to Ireland?
    How Many became Muslim when they came to Ireland?
    How many Muslims are 2nd generation Irish Muslims?
    How many 2nd generation Irish converted to Muslim?

By "2nd generation", I mean that your parents moved here, or perhaps you entire family tree is Irish.

This is to check if the conversion rate is high, or is it due to the amount of people who are Muslim coming into this country.

Finally, do Muslims that come into this country go for Muslims areas, or go for random areas, and just integrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Through immigration more than conversion, I'd imagine.

Of course, in the religion category, non-belief is the fastest growing demographic.

Of course, in the religion category, non-belief is the fastest growing demographic.

The people stating "no religion" increased by 35% from the previous census. But maybe a lot of the people who state some form of Christianity were really non-believers (only 540 people identified themselves specifically as "Lapsed Roman Catholics"). The fastest growing groups were Pentecostal Christians (up by 158% to about 8,000), Orthodox Christians (doubled from 10,400 to 20,800) and Hindus (up by 96% to about 6,000).

Interesting facts from the 2006 census: 19,000 male Muslims but only 13,000 females; about 60% of Muslims live in the Dublin region, against about 25% of the total population; median age around 25 (national population median age around 34), with relatively few Muslims in their teens.

About 7,500 Muslims in Ireland were actually born in Ireland, with 12,500 born in Asia, 7,500 born in Africa and 5,000 born in Europe. Nearly 10,000 have Irish nationality. Of 10,000 Muslims in work, about 2,500 work in personal service and childcare, about 1,800 in health-related jobs and about 1,100 in sales jobs. About 40% of Muslims who have completed their education have at least a degree, against only about 20% nationally.

The census does not give information about how many people in Ireland have reverted to Islam, but Almighty Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) knows best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

the_syco wrote: »
    Suppose this could be split up to a few different questions:

How many Muslims moved to Ireland?
    How Many became Muslim when they came to Ireland?
    How many Muslims are 2nd generation Irish Muslims?
    How many 2nd generation Irish converted to Muslim?

By "2nd generation", I mean that your parents moved here, or perhaps you entire family tree is Irish.

This is to check if the conversion rate is high, or is it due to the amount of people who are Muslim coming into this country.

Finally, do Muslims that come into this country go for Muslims areas, or go for random areas, and just integrate?

The census data given by AbuBakr suggests that most Muslims in Ireland have moved here from other parts of the world. I would suspect that nearly all of the Muslims born in Ireland are second generation - children of Muslims moving to Ireland in the last 10 years or so - this is consistent with the relatively low number of teenage Muslims.

There are references on the internet to some research carried out at NUI Maynooth into the experiences of Irish converts (or as AbuBakr puts it "reverts") to Islam, and it would be interesting to see the details of this. One internet source dating from 2004 claims "about 300" Irish converts.

hivizman wrote: »
    . . . converts (or as AbuBakr puts it "reverts") to Islam . . .

Islam is known by the term "Din ul-Fitra" or "the natural religion". Islam is the religion designed by the Creator of mankind (may He be glorified and exalted) for the benefit of mankind and therefore fits human nature perfectly. Being Muslim is living in harmony with our human nature. When we are born we are purely natural, free of sin, and by nature Muslim. It is only in later life that our families and our environments may lead us to accept beliefs or adopt practices that contradict Islam.

Because of our nature, deep down we all need to find our purpose in life. We all know that we have moral responsibilities and we all know that, if anything ought to be, then Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala) must exist. This being part of human nature, no one can claim that their disbelief was the result of ignorance alone. Disbelief is always, at some level, a conscious and sinful act. On the day of judgement the conscience of the disbeliever will be his or her own damning evidence.

Insha'Allah, we will come back, or revert, to the natural religion of our birth before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Yusuf Mirza

Salamz

Hay and add me. Im 100% Irish Muslim :-)

Salamz

Hay and add me. Im 100% Irish Muslim :-)
    As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu, bro!

Were you in the 2006 census as a Muslim or did you revert more recently?

The 2006 census showed 1,091 Muslims in Galway City and a total of 1,525 in the whole county, making this the second largest group (after Cork) outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

salaam.(not muslim btw :) )

nice statistics. interesting quite a few muslim teens in ireland, wonder why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hivizman wrote: »
    The census data given by AbuBakr suggests that most Muslims in Ireland have moved here from other parts of the world. I would suspect that nearly all of the Muslims born in Ireland are second generation - children of Muslims moving to Ireland in the last 10 years or so - this is consistent with the relatively low number of teenage Muslims.
    Realise that Muslims have been coming to and staying in Ireland for at least 30-40. Many initially college students or working in the meat or restaurant businesses.#
    Lemming wrote: »
    I would imagine that a sizeable portion of asylum applicants from Africa would follow Islam although I will add that I really have no idea as to what constitutes "sizeable" here; could be a minority, could be a majority.
    I suspect that a majority of Africans in Ireland are from other religions as they are mostly from Western and southern Africa, whereas Islam is more popular in northern and eastern Africa, but don't forget a proportion Irish Muslims will be French African.
    The people stating "no religion" increased by 35% from the previous census. But maybe a lot of the people who state some form of Christianity were really non-believers (only 540 people identified themselves specifically as "Lapsed Roman Catholics"). The fastest growing groups were Pentecostal Christians (up by 158% to about 8,000), Orthodox Christians (doubled from 10,400 to 20,800) and Hindus (up by 96% to about 6,000).
    While percentage wise those groups are growing very fast, they are doing so from a small base. Most of the Orthodox Christians will be from central and eastern Europe and the smaller Christian groups will typically be from the UK, especially Northern Ireland, the USA and from Africa.
    Interesting facts from the 2006 census: 19,000 male Muslims but only 13,000 females; about 60% of Muslims live in the Dublin region, against about 25% of the total population; median age around 25 (national population median age around 34), with relatively few Muslims in their teens.
    I think that the skew in male:female ratio would be about right. There is a strong demographic of men in the 20-40 age group coming to Ireland to study or work, with a lesser group of young families - hence relative lack of teeenagers and older people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

When we are born we are purely natural, free of sin, and by nature Muslim. It is only in later life that our families and our environments may lead us to accept beliefs or adopt practices that contradict Islam.

Surly when we are born we are purely natural, free of sin, and by nature no-Religion. It is only in later life that our families and our environments may lead us to accept beliefs or adopt practices.

My kids were certainly not born knowing Quran or Allah, so in what sence were they born Muslim :confused:

Your words imply , if left alone with no religious influence, a child would grow up and praise Allah and pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

DinoBot wrote: »
    Surly when we are born we are purely natural, free of sin, and by nature no-Religion. It is only in later life that our families and our environments may lead us to accept beliefs or adopt practices.

My kids were certainly not born knowing Quran or Allah, so in what sence were they born Muslim :confused:

Your words imply , if left alone with no religious influence, a child would grow up and praise Allah and pray.

This is because the definition of "Muslim", is "that which submits to the will of God".

benifa wrote: »
    This is because the definition of "Muslim", is "that which submits to the will of God".

Oh, well that's cleared that one up then. Thanks for the detailed explanation :p:p

???? So ignorance of god is submission ? So by that logic having no god is closer to Islam than having belief in another god ?

DinoBot wrote: »
    Oh, well that's cleared that one up then. Thanks for the detailed explanation :p:p

???? So ignorance of god is submission ? So by that logic having no god is closer to Islam than having belief in another god ?

Dino, this was answered months ago on a thread we both were posting on..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156533&p=55419816

You were born a muslim, because a muslim, by definition, is something that submits to the will of God. It was the will of God that your mother became pregnant and gave birth to you, and when you cried, drank milk, slept - you were doing all as God willed.

Dino, this was answered months ago on a thread we both were posting on..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156533&p=55419816

You were born a muslim, because a muslim, by definition, is something that submits to the will of God. It was the will of God that your mother became pregnant and gave birth to you, and when you cried, drank milk, slept - you were doing all as God willed.

Eh, you answer my question with the same answer ?? !!!!

I get it "a muslim, by definition, is something that submits to the will of God"

In what way is a baby submitting to the will of god ? A baby has no awareness of god. If a baby is submitting to anything its the law of nature, the built in will to survive. Cry when hungry, smile at people. I dont see your gods law anywhere. Ive yet to see a baby wake for morning prayer or recite Shahada !

I read that thread already, my point is you have just described someone with no religion, living by the natural laws. What aspect makes them muslim ? They have no awareness of your god, so how can you term them muslim

Your claim can be made by all religions and none. So if I submit to ignorance of god I will be muslim ? Have you even thought beyond the statement.

I haven't really got time to reply to this, we're on our way out.. I'll do my best, and this is my understanding. I am not a scholar.

God has intended everything in the world to be. The only "things" in the world, who have the free will to act in a way other than God intended, are humans.

Everything else - trees, flowers, the ocean - everything, is, by definition, Muslim.

A newborn baby, therefore, who has no sin nor ill intention, is, as you have said, submitting to the laws of nature.

Muslims believe that the laws of nature are the laws of God. Therefore, a baby submitting to the laws of nature, as you have said, is submitting to the law of God.

To answer your other question, "So if I submit to ignorance of god I will be muslim ?" The answer is no, since you would have wilfully decided to be ignorant of God. I am not saying that a baby is a Muslim because it is ignorant of God, I am saying it is a Muslim because it is behaving in the way intended by God.

I haven't really got time to reply to this, we're on our way out.. I'll do my best, and this is my understanding. I am not a scholar.

God has intended everything in the world to be. The only "things" in the world, who have the free will to act in a way other than God intended, are humans.

Everything else - trees, flowers, the ocean - everything, is, by definition, Muslim.

A newborn baby, therefore, who has no sin nor ill intention, is, as you have said, submitting to the laws of nature.

Muslims believe that the laws of nature are the laws of God. Therefore, a baby submitting to the laws of nature, as you have said, is submitting to the law of God.

To answer your other question, "So if I submit to ignorance of god I will be muslim ?" The answer is no, since you would have wilfully decided to be ignorant of God. I am not saying that a baby is a Muslim because it is ignorant of God, I am saying it is a Muslim because it is behaving in the way intended by God.

Thanks, but if someone is kept in ignorance about god how can they willfully decided to be ignorant of God ?

I get the concept tbh, I just dont see how people can really make sence of it. Its like your trying to say that people of other faiths have willfully decided not to be muslim. Therefore when they go to hell its not really gods fault but their own.

I get that, because how else can you have a "just" god.

I just think its untrue, if Islam was the natural state of people we would see isolated tribes worshiping Allah. We dont ! Islam has to be learned its not natural. There is not a natural tendency toward believe in your god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

As a byproduct of a discussion of numbers in the Church of Ireland over on the Christianity forum, I came across an analysis in Volume 5 of the 2006 Census classifying members of religions by ethnicity/culture. Of roughly 32,000 muslims, 1,900 described themselves as "White Irish", and a further 3,600 as "any other White background". About 7,300 were "Black or Black Irish", of whom 6,900 were "African". The largest category was "Asian or Asian Irish", with 11,700, almost all of whom were "any other Asian background" (i.e., not Chinese). There were 6,000 "Other including mixed background" [this may include people from North Africa and the Middle East, who would not necessarily consider themselves as "African" or "Asian"], and the remainder did not answer the question. The ethnicity figures are broadly consistent with the geographical origin figures given by AbuBakr in an earlier post in this thread.

The figure of 1,900 "White Irish" may suggest that the estimate of 300 converts/reverts is an understatement. Does anyone who is actually an Irish muslim and regularly prays in one of the mosques have better information on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Please don't dig up five year old threads.

Start a new one if you want, and please ensure you comment rather than just post a link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement