Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaks?

• 15-08-2005 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

As in new breaks. Anyone into it?

Start Bla bla bla:
    Been listening to and following up on breaks a lot, i got a bit bored of electro and then eventually got turned off italo. My favorite so far is Chris Carter. I've gone through Tom Middleton, Meat Katie, Plump DJ's, Evil 9, Freeland essential mixes and sets and all the regular recommendations and usual suspects..

I'm getting annoyed with it at this stage with it because everything i get on anyone's recommendation isn't up to par. It's all really poppy or funky and cheesy, but not in the right way. There's not one thing i'd listen to on repeat.

I did get some great stuff from DJ Overseer, who does a kind of metal tech hard breaks, closer to the prodigy. He's really well established though and has seemingly moved on to movie work. I've yet to hear anything from the apparently amazing REMIXER DU JOUR Dave 'Switch' Taylor.

The nail in the camels back was this global gathering 2004 3 cd boxed set. The third cd is a breaks one and it's better than the essential mixes, fact, at least from where i'm listening. the other 2 are dirt. All the regulars are on it. Seeing that the other 2 cd's are so cheesy i've got the impression i've been barking up the wrong breaks tree. There has to be better, cleverer more serious breaks out there and i'd love to know who makes it! And i'm fcked if i can find it because everybody seems to recommend these wnkers.
    End bla bla.

The point:
    I'm going to say that all of these are a complete waste of time on the basis of what i've listened to:

Adam Freeland.
    Plump DJ's
    Meat Katie
    Freestylers
    Rennie Pilgrem
    Ali B
    Krafty Kuts (really hated their EM)
    Lee Coombs
    ED 209
    Stanton Warriors
    Aquasky

And I'm asking somebody to suggest something better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

have you any audio links to the stuff you like......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

there's the global gathering cd there:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002F1EIA/102-0066472-3018555?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_3
    no audio though!

and i like the gate on the eargasm cd by plump dj's:
    http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF122475-02-01-05.mp3
    i also like this by the plumps:
    http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF154707-01-01-01.mp3
    i probably like this but i don't have enough of it to know.
    http://www.juno.co.uk/products/185609-02.htm&highlight=Overseer

i can't find the chris carter song i like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Check out The Plump DJs album A Plump Night Out as well as their new one (the name escapes me right now, something about soap I think). Much better than Eargasm which had it's moments but didn't quite do it overall for me.

Also anything on the Fingerlickin' label is generally very good. www.trackitdown.net have them signed up so you can purchase tunes off this label over the net as high-quality mp3s.

If you really like your breaks funky and dirty have a listen to a tune called The Bump n Grind by Friendly. One of my favourite ever breaks tunes.

Here's a sample:

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF176821-01-01-06.mp3

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

have you check out the last couple of fabriclive mixs

meat katie and joe ronson ones are very good although seen as you don't like any other breaks i doubt you'd like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

try the autobots, and check out splitloop, they're from dublin, and they're deadly, don't thin they have a cd out yet, just 12"'s

breaks is quite like drum and bass in that the best stuff never makes it onto cd.... you're probably best off finding a few dedicated breaks boards and asking around on there for any mixes the users have up online... www.breaksfm.co.uk is one i think.... although you may have to re-check that url... if you like dirty tech metally sounding stuff why not check out some of the harder and darker drum and bass? most breaks tunes are basically just rehashes of 98-99 era drum and bass tunes rerecorded at a slightly slower speed anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

skkatter - A Breaks Mix (with a few electro things here and there)

Tracklist:
    1) Radioactive Man - Ruby Rage (Rotters Golf Club)
    2) Cylob - Smash Up The Pram (Rephlex)
    3) Vlad & Ardisson - Sid Sonar (Seed Recordings)
    4) Buckfunk 3000 - Future (Fuel)
    5) Lawgiverz - Reality (Trigger)
    6) S.I. Futuers - Eurostar [Tipper Remix 2] (Novamute)
    7) Raster - The Prototype [Tipper's Tippy-Bazmeg Remix] (Chi)
    8) Darqwan - Said The Spider (Texture Records)
    9) Jimmy Edgar - Latin Sunrise Redo [Kero Remix] (Detroit Underground)
    10) Warlock - Late Runner (Rag & Bone)
    11) Product.01 - I Like It Loud [Buckfunk 3000 Remix] (Bow Wow)
    12) Mark One - Bad Mood (Soulja)
    13) Zinc - People 4 (Polydor)
    14) Amen Andrews - Evil Rave (Rephlex)
    15) Frankie Bones - Let's Jack (Badmotherf#*ker)
    16) Tipper - Furlong [Buckfunk 3000 Remix] (Fuel)
    17) Sol_Dat - Make Yr Car Look Extremely Pretty (Breakin')
    18) Si Begg - Buss [Bus Jump Mix] (Novamute)
    19) House of Brakes - The Arnos Groove (Paperplane)
    20) 313 Bass Mechanics - D.E.T. (Breakin')
    21) Frankie Bones - Where's My Booty? (E-Series)
    22) EDMX - Don't Stop [Electro Mix] (Breakin')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

most breaks tunes are basically just rehashes of 98-99 era drum and bass tunes rerecorded at a slightly slower speed anyway....
    I disagree 100% with this statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

excellent stuff, thanks for all the pointers.
    i got the switch em from kev's thread, and i've found some si begg sets. i recognise about 3 names on your set scatter so i'm looking forward to it!
    also found some chymera stuff on invisibleagent.com.
    now all i have to do is sit back and wait for [cm]tyranny's response! it's not like anyone has anything else to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

skkatter wrote:
    skkatter - A Breaks Mix (with a few electro things here and there)

Tracklist:
    1) Radioactive Man - Ruby Rage (Rotters Golf Club)
    2) Cylob - Smash Up The Pram (Rephlex)
    3) Vlad & Ardisson - Sid Sonar (Seed Recordings)
    4) Buckfunk 3000 - Future (Fuel)
    5) Lawgiverz - Reality (Trigger)
    6) S.I. Futuers - Eurostar [Tipper Remix 2] (Novamute)
    7) Raster - The Prototype [Tipper's Tippy-Bazmeg Remix] (Chi)
    8) Darqwan - Said The Spider (Texture Records)
    9) Jimmy Edgar - Latin Sunrise Redo [Kero Remix] (Detroit Underground)
    10) Warlock - Late Runner (Rag & Bone)
    11) Product.01 - I Like It Loud [Buckfunk 3000 Remix] (Bow Wow)
    12) Mark One - Bad Mood (Soulja)
    13) Zinc - People 4 (Polydor)
    14) Amen Andrews - Evil Rave (Rephlex)
    15) Frankie Bones - Let's Jack (Badmotherf#*ker)
    16) Tipper - Furlong [Buckfunk 3000 Remix] (Fuel)
    17) Sol_Dat - Make Yr Car Look Extremely Pretty (Breakin')
    18) Si Begg - Buss [Bus Jump Mix] (Novamute)
    19) House of Brakes - The Arnos Groove (Paperplane)
    20) 313 Bass Mechanics - D.E.T. (Breakin')
    21) Frankie Bones - Where's My Booty? (E-Series)
    22) EDMX - Don't Stop [Electro Mix] (Breakin')

That looks like an interesting mix Skkatter, not your usual style (at least not the stuff I've heard you play) from a while back. I'll try and get my ass to a netcafe with a fast connection sometime this week and have a listen! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

If you're really into breaks, you'll probably like stuff by Seba, Paradox and Nucleus.

http://www.paradoxmusic.com/

They mainly sample Funk breaks from the 70's alot like hip hop producers back then and in the 80's, with the exception of speeding it up to around the same speed as most jungle/drum and bass music.

Here is a sample of atleast Paradox if you wanna check them out.

Paradox - 'Its not a dream'

Also, if you can find it, a track called '96 Paragons' is pretty good.

There is 'harder' type of breakbeat, some artists like 'Evol Intent', 'SPL', 'Infiltrata' and 'Technical Itch'.. usually anything on Renegade Hardware/Barcode Recordings..Freak Recordings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement