Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you bank with and why?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

After a rather erratic service from PTSB lately I think Im going to take my money elsewhere. Some of their customer service is simply a disgrace. Im thinking of going with BOI or AIB. So the question is: who do you bank with and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Bank of Ireland, for no other reason that they have a branch very close to my gaff. No huge issues with them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AIB, cause they're good, and my dad has shares in them. Although he banks with BOI. I have an account with BOI, but they messed me around. I lodged €8,000 with them, then asked for a credit card, which was fine, I got it. I then asked for an ATM card that I could use in England (as I was living there in Uni) They said it took 6 months to authorise (IE I had to be with the bank for 6 months before I could get an ATM card that would work in the UK. This I didn't understand, since they'd give me a credit card, the same day I opened the account, but not an ATM card to use in the UK.

I promptly withdrew my €8,000 and went to the AIB.....

But at the moment, I have accounts with the EBS,Credit Union, BOI, AIB and the Royal Bank of Scotland.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have been with the AIB for about 13yrs. No reason to change, first bank I created an account with and have stayed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Bank Of Ireland.

I joined them when I was like a kid and they came to our school and gave out free radios and all we had to do was fill an application form for an account with them to get it. I lost that little radio now :(

Bank Of Ireland are slow. Especially when I asked them for an ATM card it took 5 weeks for it to come and many phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Alpha505

Lump wrote:
    But at the moment, I have accounts with the EBS,Credit Union, BOI, AIB and the Royal Bank of Scotland.

:eek:

Can I have a loan of a grand please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

BOI for me, nice staff, especially this nice girl on the front desk, also they give me a quick service

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

85% of people stay with the same bank for life which is why banks offer all sorts of goodies to students. :p
    BOI for me until they really mess me about. Generally found them OK and they just LOVE to offer you money that you can't afford. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ulster Bank purely cause 2 of my relatives have jobs pretty high up in the company and so whole family banks with them! Annoying though cause there aren't as many atms as other banks. Irritating when I want to check my (very low) balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BoI

Convenient when I joined them, like their web service (dunno when I was in a real branch) but their fees are a complete laugh alongside their savings accoutn interest % rate, so it's off to rabodirect I go in a few weeks.
    Still have to use BoI as an IRL bank for cash withdrawals/lodgements though...
    Shame no-one can come up with a way to lodge cash/cheque at an ATM.

My problem with PTSB is that I was told I couldnt use my Personal account to lodge my cheques. Im a sole trader and they're telling me I have to set up a business account with them seperately? This sounds like nonsense.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    Shame no-one can come up with a way to lodge cash/cheque at an ATM.

Seem to remember AIB used to do that once upon a time, even did it myself :p . It came and went just as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Sparky_S wrote:
    BOI for me, nice staff, especially this nice girl on the front desk, also they give me a quick service

Might have to make a change to BOI :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ptsb,always have.no reason to change that i can see.

Alpha505 wrote:
    My problem with PTSB is that I was told I couldnt use my Personal account to lodge my cheques. Im a sole trader and they're telling me I have to set up a business account with them seperately? This sounds like nonsense.

I don't believe so. Most banks will advise that. I use both personal adn private accounts. It also makes sense from an accounting point of view - i.e. all business stuff going through the same account. Thsi was teh advice I was given.
    For business accounts go to BOI - fee free for 2 years and the excellent online business service is free for at least six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

is_that_so wrote:
    Seem to remember AIB used to do that once upon a time, even did it myself :p . It came and went just as quickly.

I'm sure there were problems with people "depositing" foreign bodies in lieu of actaul legal tender :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Personal banking PTSB
    Mortgage Bank of Scotland
    Business, PTSB, Ulster, IIB
    credit card PTSB, MBNA
    Previous experience with Bank of Ireland, Northern Bank, ACC & EBS

At one time or another all have been a PITA and OK.
    Some time ago a group discussed which bank they were with and why. it turned out that we had all been around them all and left different ones for the same reason, ie lousy service. I had left BoI for PTSB, the next guy had left PTSB for AIB, same reason and the next had left AIB for BoI. equally bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Bank Of Ireland, banks a bank to me really, maybe when i start having more money ill look into which bank is best :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

AIB simply because my parents set me up an account there when I was real young and just upgraded it to a student plus account when i got into college.
    Great services (24hr & internet banking), great all round service so i can't see myself switching any time soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

First Direct, because they aren't cúnting Nat West.

AIB when I lived in Ireland, because they were much less hassle than Ulster ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Forgot another reason.
    They gave me a student account in '98 and I still have it. No bank charges for me so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Personally, I consider answering this type of ' seemingly innocent ' personal finance question as potentially dangerous, and no ! I will not explain why, you either understand why or you are a plonker ;)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sparky_S wrote:
    Does the girl give you a quick service?

AIB for me, popped into the branch in DCU and set it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AIB in Ireland, thinking of going to NIB's Freebank, sometime in the future..

Nationwide Building Society in the UK (pretty good, wish they operated here!)

Paddy20 wrote:
    Personally, I consider answering this type of ' seemingly innocent ' personal finance question as potentially dangerous, and no ! I will not explain why, you either understand why or you are a plonker ;)

P.

Are you ok there Paddy?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Paddy20, every customer service rep's worst nightmare.

The only thing I think he could be talking about with be internet security? Slightly paranoid when the question's only asking where you bank and why! (Not your PIN number ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BOI. Signed up with them when they came to my school and gave me a free pen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Current a/c & mortgage with BOI
    Credit cards with BOI & NIB
    Deposit a/c with RaboDirect

Paddy20 is from Donegal - He's probably more worried about the Revenue Commissioner than Internet Security ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

AIB because they have the
    -more branches (in Munster anyway) and even these days that is handy
    -have the best internet banking
    -lodged cheques appear in your balance immediately (althought I have yet to test whether their funds are actually drawable immediately)
    -their quick lodge box has a door on it (bank of ireland just use a wooden box so if it fills up people can take out envelopes!)
    -you aren't asked to fill out dockets for everything, I mean you can walk up to a counter and ask (in words) for a bank draft payable to John Smith for 500 EUR, whereas in BOI you would have to write that down with your name and address for feck sake
    -their cashsave account doesnt have maintenance fees (and sort of thing matters)
    -their ATM cards work abroad (many BOI cards, even from 2000 don't not even in the UK)
    -you can use your card in post offices, although thats just a human operated ATM

However AIB did close my deposit account without me asking (I got the funds back by draft)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

AIB:
    why? offered me the sun moon and stars on freshers week in college,
    gave me a bag of stuff, including free pen! and 50 euro credit, gave me a credit card for free, a lazer card, and for some bizzare reason a check book arived in the last week, handy... but they are slow about my wages going in,
    mate of mine works in dunnes stores and we get paid on fridays, his goes threw at 12:01am and mine goes in at 6am, annoying,

Lazer cards, i have desided are thwe best invention ever, you VERY rarely have to have cash on you, which is a great plus.

have a account in ulsterbank as well, but the less said about them, the better

Advertisement