Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you bank with and why?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm with Ulster Bank, probably because I secretly enjoy having angst, stress and bother in my life ... I don't know, really. As soon as I've cleared my loans, I'll move banks, but it's a case of finding the better out of a possibly bad lot.

BOI or AIB perhaps. Undecided yet. Going to be a while before I move though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Slice wrote:
    I would recommend avoiding Usterbank or NIB if you make alot of online bill payments. Basically, unlike all other banks if you pay your bills using money transfer with one of these two they don't give a reference for the payment - in other words the utility/service provider/person you're paying the money to wont know who it's coming from. For example when I pay my phone bill I give my mobile phone account number as reference for payment - if I pay that bill with my Ulsterbank account they don't give a reference so my mobile provider wont know to allocate that payment against my mobile account
    Don't know about Ulster Bank, but there is definitely NO problem with quoting references with online payments from NIB. I make payments to American Express, NTL, Northern Rock - all of which have reference numbers included and all the payments hit my accounts at the target institutions straight away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

was with BOI - messed up some transfers in a MAJOR fashion, left them
    AIB next, no real issue except they wanted to start charging me

Now - NIB, never charged a cent for ANYTHING, great online system
    Rabo for savings, got €15 opening the account and 3% interest regardess of the balance, their online system a bit aquard but % makes it worthwhile
    Small bit with EBS, mainly as a route to my SSIA

recommend both NIB & Rabo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm with AIB
    Have credit card with BOI (from my student days)

Closing BOI accounts though, because standing order from AIB to my credit union a/c (through BOI) got lost and they were of no help whatsoever - either were AIB tbh.

So thinking of going with PTSB - cause free banking with AIB seems to have been stopped 3 years after leaving college - and got charged €25 for 3 months banking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm with AIB, couldnt be happier TBH. I was with PTSB and they just don't cater for students or young people, they wouldnt even give me a lazer card for god sake so i said "smell ya later".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Just got first statement of BOI charges. Moving to PTSB as they don't charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Im with AIB for the next two years at least. I have my C/A , SSIA and Credit Card with them, and its handy to be able to look at them all on the online service at once. But as soon as the SSIA matures ill be looking to move. Ive had enough of their quarterly bank charges of €20 and €30.

Advertisement