Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References/Dependencies in the Qur'an

• 15-08-2005 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hey there.. from my (albeit limited) reading of the Holy Qur'an there seem to be a lot of references to events and people from Christianity. For example references to Adam and Eve, Moses and the 10 commandments, Noah and the great flood etc.

None of these events are covered in any great detail (certainly not to the extent that they are covered in the old testament) so where do Muslims get their understanding of these events? Are they encouraged to go and read the Bible to get more detail? How do these dependencies on the Bible fit in with the idea that the Qur'an and the Hadith are all that Muslims need to study to understand their religion?

On a separate note, what are the Irish Muslims like? Mostly Sunni I imagine, but what Madhhab predominates here? Is there much of a Saudi/Salafi influence - those guys seem kinda scary tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The majority seem to be Pakistany from what I can gather.

As for the other questions, I am not to sure, I probably should know, but I am pretty lazy. Adam and Eve seem and the other stories are really well known and the Bible and Torah (in there original forms) are still the words of God and are held in high regard by Muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

All three of Islam, Christianity and Judaism are Abrahamic relgions, and share considerable common roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    Hey there.. from my (albeit limited) reading of the Holy Qur'an there seem to be a lot of references to events and people from Christianity. For example references to Adam and Eve, Moses and the 10 commandments, Noah and the great flood etc.

None of these events are covered in any great detail (certainly not to the extent that they are covered in the old testament)
    First of all, it's good that you are reading the book, it will give you more information on the islamic law and life.
    you'll find more information on this topic in the first 5 sections of the Quraan (the Quraan has 30 sections)
    Dr_Teeth wrote:
    so where do Muslims get their understanding of these events? Are they encouraged to go and read the Bible to get more detail? How do these dependencies on the Bible fit in with the idea that the Qur'an and the Hadith are all that Muslims need to study to understand their religion?
    Islam main source of teachings are taken from the Quraan and the sunnah (way of life of the Prophet(PBUH))
    most of the stories and events you ask are in both the Quraan and the Hadeath(oral teachings from the Prohpet)
    Dr_Teeth wrote:
    On a separate note, what are the Irish Muslims like? Mostly Sunni I imagine, but what Madhhab predominates here? Is there much of a Saudi/Salafi influence - those guys seem kinda scary tbh.
    I know most of them are from either north Africa and pakistan, muslims from the holy lands would be no more than 10% of Irish muslims.

Advertisement