Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP guru needed to volunteer time for DGI.

Options
  • 15-08-2005 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I require a PHP programmer for a project for the Designers Guild of Ireland site.
    Go along and have a look at this rough design: http://www.dgi.ie/portfolios/alanorourke/

What i am designing is a section on the website which will allow a designer to create their own portfolio site. It is aimed for the less web savvy designer and recent graduates who need samples on-line to aid them applying for jobs.

E.G. Me Alan O'Rourke goes to DGI.ie and hits the 'Create portfolio' link.
    They register a user name and password, receive confirmation mail and are brought to their admin page. http://www.dgi.ie/portfolios/create.php

A subdirectory is created in the /portfolio/ directory.

They can upload 10 design samples as well as title and description for each design sample and input their various details as shown in the example above.

The images are automatically sized as 'Large' and 'Thumbnail' and placed in the required directory.

An xml file is created with the url of the image, thumbnail and image description.

The required pre made .swf file is copied into the directory and a .php is created containing the .swf. The .swf will automatically read the .xml file created and display the required images.

The portfolio will be added to a browsable list at http://www.dgi.ie/portfolios/ and i need the ability to select a featured portfolio each month and display them on what will be the home page at www.dgi.ie.

And the featured artist information to be displayed on the home page will be their first uploaded image sample (large) and the first 40 characters from their description. Link to view the full portfolio.
    I will be looking for this bit as a PHP include that i can place in a future(yet to be designed) home page design.

And finally an interface is needed where an admin can review the latest portfolios created and delete if needed.

So anyone interested in helping out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

When are you looking to have this done by?
    Would there be recognition for whoever does it?
    Also, i really like your stuff on Spoiltchild would you be open to returning the favour with regard to design work?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

The deadline is dependant on when some kind person can agree and deliver by.
    I am not sure it would be fair to the individual designer to have a credit on their end portfolio page but a credit is definitely fair. The full site is in development and at this stage i am thinking of a credit/thank you page to list all contributors. But to be honest that is all open to discussion so let me know what you think.

I am open to the idea of returning the favour with some of my design work but slightly reluctant to be honest. My reason is that i am already contributing a lot of my personal and business time and design to setting the rest of the site up as well as writing articles and doing other DGI stuff. All this to benefit other designers. That's ok, it is a cause i believe in and want to see succeed.

I am hoping someone can lighten the load by doing this, not add to it, but it is my cause not anyone else's so i don't expect it and i am willing to trade. I am grateful to your reply.

What design did you have in mind?

Oh and i realise that the home page will not display correctly on IE. Its due to changes i am in the process of making.

I don't think i'll have time any night this week, but maybe we could talk more on friday?
    I don't have need of a design right away, but may have something in the next few weeks that i could use a hand with.

If you want to PM, feel free.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you're getting no where give http://www.scriptlance.com a shot. I use them for bits and pieces. Dirt cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I'd be interested in giving it a shot. I could only give a few hours a week at it though.

Give me more info on the SWF. What is its purpose and what does it contain?

You shouldnt have to worry about the .swf. It is premade and reads its content from an .xml file in the directory.
    Its purpose is to create a nice slideshow of the work with easy navigation between the pieces and a mouse over effect to get more information on the design being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Figment id be interested .. the project doesn’t sound too complicated .. Should only take me a few days. Can you send of an example xml & swf file to jason.roe [at] gmail.com

Thank you all for the replies lads i really appreciate it.
    K!LL!@N as you replied first i will gladly go with your skills if you are still interested. Give me a shout if you are and we will discuss where to go from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Gl Killian!

btw - theres no reason why it cant be a joint effort ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah i'm still up for this.
    Should be able to start this weekend.

I'll have a chat with Alan and see if this could easily be broken up into seperate parts.
    If it can, then i don't mind sharing the work.

Killian

Cool.

Email is alan AT spoiltchild DOT com and i am normally on IRC on quakenet.org at #spoiltchild or #workinglunch though not for the next couple of hours.

Sent you a mail the other day Alan.

I can be on IRC today and tomorrow.
    We can have a chat.

Killian

Advertisement