Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riskiest cooling ever, anyone care to give it a shot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

mp3guy wrote:
    Quite Possibly, veg oil obviously isnt a conductor i take it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mp3guy wrote:

Its not risky at all really, - if the oil has a high level of purity, its a very poor conductor. The Celeron 550MHz chip, unless he overclocks it, will be barely above ambient temperature. The riskiest part of his setup is putting the rig with the oil in a Jewel tropical aquarium. The oil will ruin the seals in no time flat and the oil drain away.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

Jebus, I don't fancy trying to plug/unplug hardware in that. Wish I spoke German so I could read the FAQs :p

can anyone see if the PSU is submerged in that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djmarkus wrote:
    can anyone see if the PSU is submerged in that?

Yup- it is.
    He has removed most of the housing for the PSU- but its definitively submerged in there.....

• Advertisement

hmm...i wouldn't mess with 240v like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Maybe he has a surge protecter?

:rolleyes:

I'm not too good at german so, what is he trying to achieve? surely veg oil isn't that good at cooling

theres a second link i found where its in english

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

djmarkus wrote:
    what is he trying to achieve?

Total silence
    smccarrick wrote:
    The riskiest part of his setup is putting the rig with the oil in a Jewel tropical aquarium. The oil will ruin the seals in no time flat and the oil drain away.

It's been running for a year, the oil has not been changed, so I'd say he's probably safe there. The only issue is when he takes the lid off and takes a sniff, the oil has started to smell a bit funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Its actually a new type of electric chair for the computer freaks that have gone astray,it lures them to the chair and when they touch the keyboard they fry!!!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

lol seen this kinda thing before and they had problems after boot up the heat would'nt shift so he had to pump it around but in the end it didnt work well with up to date cpu's ..There is a couple of different fuilds out there that are able for this kinda stuff the likes of "xp fluid " the problem is disspenising the heat out of the one area ...

dubdvd wrote:
    lol seen this kinda thing before and they had problems after boot up the heat would'nt shift so he had to pump it around but in the end it didnt work well with up to date cpu's ..There is a couple of different fuilds out there that are able for this kinda stuff the likes of "xp fluid " the problem is disspenising the heat out of the one area ...

B0000CDTVB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can't find a link but seem to remember that OIL can affect some components ( capacitors ? ) and that some people used transformer oil and others silicone oil - both of which have special problems. http://www.overclockers.com/Tips187/

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=851060
    Midel 7131

Id be very careful with this too : 'biodegradeable' often means "UV sensitive"...I know Midel is.

I'm curious what you plan to seal it with....remember : silicon oil will dissolve silicon rubber.(usually). I'd suggest contacting the company you buy your liquid from and asking them what the best sealant would be.

CFC's them wot destroys the ozone layer are the perfect thing to run your computer in , you just can't get them easily anymore :(

As vegetable oil degrades it probably becomes more conductive as there may be some oxidisation to acid and water adsorbed.

BTW: The word dipstick comes to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

seeing as the whole thing is submerged why has he got a [URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/8126/16202.jpg[/URL] in there? to mix the oil or just act as a propeller ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

this is not as risky and its better idea and cleaner!

http://www.wassercomputer.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dubdvd wrote:

was gonna do this before (a fish tank pc) with a non-conductive cooling fluid, tis a big project and would cost a lot, but it can be done. U can stick a cooling rob in the liquid and this will cool the liquid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

noooo way would i do it :eek: good experiment thow

noooo way would i do it :eek: good experiment thow

ah id do it, just dont have the doh, only problem is fans of psu etc trying to rotate under pressure of liquid would probably burn them out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Pipe it through a worm coil in a bucket of water or whatever. Just something big, metal and good heat transfer properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gline wrote:
    ah id do it, just dont have the doh, only problem is fans of psu etc trying to rotate under pressure of liquid would probably burn them out
    ....unhook the fans, bridge the connectors and turn off fan-speed alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

what if something was invented (if not already) that was an extender for the cpu.

like a cable connector that fits into the cpu socket, then you can put the cpu in an oil container which would have the extended socket in it.
    so your only submerging your cpu in oil rather than the whole pc.

or even better: the container could be put into some sort of freezing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

Hardly the riskiest:

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/submersion/submersion.html

Part 2 is also worth a read.

I was going to try the oil thing myself with an old mac I have lying around, but I never got around to it. I'll probably do it someday when I'm bored enough.

yeh i remeber reading it ages ago, it would be class to do. Id love to have a project like that :D

Advertisement