Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Miller ?

• 15-08-2005 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

What is the future of Liam Miller ? Did he join a club that he isnt good enough for or is it that he just needs games ?

The world cup in just a season away and any irish player who can get invovled in playing world cup matches really benefits from them. But the players wont be included in the irish setup unless they are getting enough first team football. Josh should be ok but I am not too sure about Miller.

Maybe he should have tried to leave Man Utd in the summer and move to a team where he is getting first team football. Ireland really need to sort their future midfield out, its Keanos last season, Kavanagh isnt getting any younger, same with Holland and Kilbane is only a few years after them.

The future midfield was supposed to be Josh and Miller but unless Miller breaks into the first team then its unlikely to happen. Its more likely that Fergie will move Alan Smith into midfield than Miller.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The lack of games has dented his confidence I'd say. He hasn't gotten a lot of chances, but when he has, he hasn't looked like the player Fergy signed from Celtic. I don't think there's any doubting he has ability, but you have to wonder if he has a real future at United. It's not as if he's just turning 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hope he gets a fair chance this year. fergie really likes fletcher and park looks a good player so its going to be tough for him. i think hes a good player who should be playing regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He's a player I really do wonder about. How would people describe his style of play? He appears to me as being extremely light in the tackle and not much of a physical presence, but then again he doesnt seem like the type of player who will create chances and score goals.

Tbh I haven't really seen to much of him, so feel free to let me know if you are better informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's a player I really do wonder about. How would people describe his style of play? He appears to me as being extremely light in the tackle and not much of a physical presence, but then again he doesnt seem like the type of player who will create chances and score goals.

Tbh I haven't really seen to much of him, so feel free to let me know if you are better informed.

That is exactly how i have seen him...he looks like a malnourished 12 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Meh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I was always of the opinion that he really lacks confidence in himself. It can be seen a lot of the time when he is in a decent position and panics and ends up wasting an opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Lack of confidence IMO. If he had any cop on he would try to get out on loan to some club for a season and then try his luck back at Man Utd. The fella needs competitive games even if its for the likes of relegated Sunderland. I imagine the likes of Roy Keane is telling him to stick it out at united but he probably only has the FA cup to look forward to this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It would be good to see him go out on loan to some other Prem. league team like they did with Kieran Richardson last season. Could do him the world of good like it did for KR.

I have to admit i haven't seen much of him to rate him at all but i know Celtic fans who watched him week in week out say he had potenial to be excellent.
    Hopefully he will be a late developer and Ireland do need more central midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

its a real shame that he left celtic, things were going really well for him there remember when he was banging in champions league goals for fun? whenever i saw him play last season for united he was very unimpressive and hes a million miles from the first team there now...was he even in the squad at goodison on saturday? he has to move, even if its to the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think he might actually get a look in this season, I mean United have sold P Neville and Klerberson along with Djemba x2 and butt last season, not many left in that position at United?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If he had listend to Martin O'Neill he would be playing regular in the SPL still..high on confidence, and on the fringes if not in the Irish team...but he listend to Fergie, so now he's a reserves player, with no real international prospects, and his career is effectively over compared to what it could have been. The second your manager starts playing players out of position in your position, you know he dosen't rate you. He should have tried to get a move in the premiership this season, but by next season he'll be out of the game for so long, he'd struggle to get a championship move imo.

Clinto has a simular disposition, but not as bad....the second his manager signed two players in his position and plays them, aswell as already having two starting ahead of him in the squad(? i think), it's time to ask for a move...again, he'll probably end up in the championship.

But i agree, we do have a midfield crisis looming, which we got a taste of in the last qualifying campaign without Keano, and there's not much coming through...Potter, McGeady and Willo Flood are our best Midfield players coming through afaik, but i think Potters more a winger, McGeady is a winger (although i reckon we should try him up front), we've got S.Reid and A.Reid, wingers, and Duff.....emm, winger...so we don't have a lack there...but look at the middle, Keaneo..last season, Millers career has stalled, Zinedine Kilbane is good in the middle, but a converted winger, Kavanagh is old and average, and i don't rate Holland or Kinsella, Delap is 30 ..who, for some reason can't get in the squad, although i rate him as one of our best options in the centre...and certainly better than Holland and Kavanagh...and there's a few i havn't seen enougfh of...
    So in a season or two, i think these will be our options in the middle: Miller, Flood, Kilbane, Healy, Quinn (is he a winger too?)

That's pretty worrying :(

DubGuy wrote:
    Delap is 30 ..who, for some reason can't get in the squad, although i rate him as one of our best options in the centre

As a Southampton fan, I can honestly say I thought he was one of our worst players last season. And we had some terrible plonkers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Whelan from Shef Wed will be in the Irish squad before the end of the season!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Whelan from Shef Wed will be in the Irish squad before the end of the season!!

Agreed, he is a great prospect. Certainly one for Irelands centre of midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

S. Reid has been playing in the centre for most of the last 2 seasons for blackburn is great going forward he also offerd a lot defensively as he has played both centre back and right back before for millwall so I reckon he is our best bet in the middle when keane cant play as is the case tomorrow a kilbane reid duo would work thier arses off offer a lot of attacking ability and alkso have the ability to defend which is somehting we need, also he is our second best bead ball hitter after harte so its always good to have that option.

Andy reid has also played in the centre a fair bit for forrest and iirc he also played as a sort of second striker a few times so there are a lot of options for us to exploit his passing range and vision.
    Delaps chance has come and gone but he should definatly be in the squad.

Flood is a kind of centre mid who can play in the right, but i'd rather see him in the centre with a S. Reid or Kilbane type beside him to do the donkey work,

Quinn couyld play comfortably in the centre with any of our current players in the poisition as he is a solid no nonsence player and he can also score a few goals.

Whelan is our best prospect in the centre mid posistion, not a hard tackle but not one to shy away from defending either, dictates tempo very well and likes playing the way keane does when on the ball, slows the game down and takes pressure off the plasyers around him very well by playing simple passes and looking to take the ball back from players under pressure, laso has a vicious shot.

McGeady is a forward, not a striker not a midfeilder and not a winger, very much a totti/del piero type, playin in the hole is where he would be best but is also a genuine option for either wing.

Another player I'd like to see have a chance for ireland in a friendly is Liam Lawrence from sunderland not the fastest winger in ther world but has everything else needed for that posistion, great passer, killer cross and quick feet, great vision aswell, links very well with players like elliot so he could also benifit players like ropbbie and clinton who like to come deep to get the ball and play the wings.

I'll stop rembleing now but before I go I''d like to add that kavanage, holland and kinsella are not good enough to play for ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyone know what the story is with Kevin Nolan (bolton)? Last year i heard he was elligible to play for ireland and that he wanetd to, never heard anything since really though. I think he'd be agreat addition, hardworking attacking midfielder who scores goals and creates chances regularly in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The real question is who can replace Keano in the centre of midfield, and atm I don't think we have anyone who can.
    Obviously its very unlikely we'll get someone of that quality again, but we don't have anyone of anywhere near that quality. Which is very very troubling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DubGuy wrote:
    but i think Potters more a winger
    Potter's a central midfielder, or behind the front 2. He plays on the wing for Liverpool because they've no right winger and has been poor in that position. Always impresses and sets up chances when moved to the centre.

Kavanagh's the next best thing to Keane imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

yeah, this seems to be drifting off about wingers. we are looking for a new central midfielder, someone who can dictate the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

True, but i think the problem is we have so many wide players, presently, and coming through, but no real prospects in the centre..a couple of promising players, flood, potter and whealen...but a few seasons ago we had more promising players imo in Miller, Healy, Quinn, Barrett...but none of them have really reached half their potential, so if the next batch of lads (which is a much more shallow pool of talent) dosen't generate a international class holding centre mid, we are in deep trouble!

What dosen't help matters is that Potter is being played on the wing when ever he gets a chance, and would struggle to get a chance in centre midfield for liverpool, so he may stay a fringe/reserve player untill his mid-20's wishing and hoping RE: Partridge (there's another winger for you :p), Flood gets his game at RB for city, but asaik never in centre midfield..and it's not like we have a lack of RB's Finnan, Carr, Kelly, Reid, Flood...so he may not get a chance at centre mid either...so that leaves it up to whealen, who i have no idea about. :( bleak times ahead?

Suppose it could be worse....we could be Scottish! :D

(in fairness they have better players coming through than us though!! :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

yeah ok if you seen irelands match last night....THATs why he isnt getting into the man united squad! he looked like he hasnt played in years! the man seriously needs a move anywhere just to get games! Does anyone know if hes playing at all? like even in the reserves at united?

Advertisement