Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Maynooth (Arts)

Options
  • 16-08-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

So seeing as there's a few threads up about people and their selected courses I thought I'd do the same.

Anybody here looking to do arts in Maynooth? I am. Slightly regretting choosing it over Galway now, as that's where all my friends are and I don't know anybody in Maynooth. Hmmmm.

So? Any fellow maynooth wannabies?

And also why does everybody look at me with pity when I say I've chosen NUIM. Happens constantly. Out with a group and someone asks the inevitable question - "So where are you going next year?" Get a variety of replies such as NUIG, UCD, TCD etc. And then when I say Maynooth I always get the same response from everybody..."Oh, well I'm sure it'll be fine"

What the hell?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

*Roisin* wrote:

And also why does everybody look at me with pity when I say I've chosen NUIM. Happens constantly. Out with a group and someone asks the inevitable question - "So where are you going next year?" Get a variety of replies "Oh, well I'm sure it'll be fine"

What the hell?!

hehe, thats funny. I`m going to Maynooth, not to do Arts but Finance and Venture Management (if not, it`ll be one of the other 2 Finance courses). I don`t know why people are giving you replies like that, I`ve heard nothing but great things about Maynooth. Its supposed to be a really friendly college with good crack.

Still if I wanted to do Arts I would`ve gone to Galway because 1. Its really far away from Meath (where abouts are you from btw?) and 2. I hear its crazy (mad parties etc.).

Do`nt feel like you`ll be missing out on anything, personally I think its better to go away to a college away from your friends otherwise its alot harder to make new friends.

I have five or six friends who are going into 2nd year in Maynooth and they all love it.

Are you staying on campus?

Ah sorry I see you`re from Galway now. I think you were dead right to get out of their. Be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Well the way I see it is that I get to have all the fun of Maynooth during the week, and then get to go home to Galway at the weekends and go out there too!

I've had to start at two new schools in the two years, and I find large groups of new people intimidating so dreading the whole making new friends from scratch thing, but hey, that's what it's all about :)

Applied for campus but won't know if I got it til the day that offers go out. If I don't I'm kinda screwed cos I figure it's going to be very hard to find an ok house. All of the 2nd years and up will already have gotten their houses, and Maynooths quite a small place. Might live in Dublin with my friend and commute.

When I told my Principal I was going to Maynooth his reply was "Oh, yes. Well you'd want to be awful careful to pass first year, it's got a bit of a reputation for being a party college, so most people don't! :eek:

That's all I needed to know, went straight to the top of my preferences! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

lol

thats why im goin to galway.. from monaghan, its 4 hour bus but it shud be worth it

is galway really as good as i hear it is?

Oh yeah!

It's great if you're not from there. It's a small city, so if you've lived there a long time, it gets claustraphobic and it can get tiring. That's the reason I chose to leave. But if it's you're first time living there, it's going to be brill!

• Advertisement

nice one.. :D

wud ya advise campus for nui?

Corrib Village is where most of the students stay and it's a total party zone. Everyone I know seems to stay there and love it. Newcastle is the area you should be looking in if house hunting.

Don`t worry you will get campus. Everyone who applied last year going into 1st year got campus. DId you get any comfirmation that they recieved your form?

Nooooo..... :eek:

lol! no sorry for getting you scared. I did`nt either I don`t think you are supposed too. I was just making sure.

Its a bit mad you going home every weekend though.

• Advertisement

OH MY GOD, don't freak me out like that! :)

Ahhh no I won't be going home every weekend at all. Just have the option of going out there whenever I want. Best of both worlds.

Its really weird. I spent all my time not being able to wait for the end of the leaving, now I can`t wait to go to college.

I`ll probably get to know you over the year or two (apparently everyone know each other by 2n year) so see you there! (even though you won`t know its me)

That's slightly scary... :)

But see ya there. Won't be that hard to find me, I'll be the mad Róisín from Galway doing arts! All I have to go on is you're a guy doing something financy....oooh a challenge! :p

shud iu have applied for campus already?!?

/scared

Yeh it is a bit aint it.

lol I`ll give you another clue I`ll be the dude with brown longish curly hair and I`ll be the first guy up dancing.

I applied about a month ago but you could apply since the start of the year or so. I got the form before xmas but only got around to sending it in july *shame*

But as I understand it practically all first years get campus, so you'll be fine if ya do it now. Do it before offers go out tho.

I'm sure I'll recognise you from that description :p See ya there!

but i dont even know if i'll get the points for it...

damn.. what to do what to do

It's free to apply, so you're losing nothing by doing so. Just call them up on offers day if you didn't so they can offer it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The town of Maynooth may seem small but there's an unbelievable amount of housing estates around with houses for rent and digs. Even if you don't get campus accomodation you'll get somewhere. Majority of first years go for digs and then share a house from second year on. Maynooth nightlife isn't too bad, I live here but don't actually go to college here.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Maynooth too..that's why I put it down first!! Hope to see you all there!!! :)

• Advertisement

Majority of first years go for digs and then share a house from second year on.

I lived in digs two years ago and it was the worst experience of my life. HATED IT! Never ever ever gonna do it again for any reason. I'd rather live in a hedge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

i am hoping to do arts in maynooth aswell only becaus i live 1 MINUTE AWAY FROM IT.I PITTY YOU MULLAGHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Haha, word tipster. Same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Ahh think im going to Maynooth (ARTS) now too! I heard the applications for campus accom. are now closed though! is this true?

Dunno...but I sent mine in a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

lol

thats why im goin to galway.. from monaghan, its 4 hour bus but it shud be worth it

is galway really as good as i hear it is?

Spent four years in NUIG. Absolute blast. You will love it.

Advertisement