Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing this course? (BA, Computer Science)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I've heard nothing about getting a laptop. We'll probably be told whats needed for the course in the first few days. If I do need a laptop, what would be a decent but cheap one to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh are you doing this course too? :D What subjects? I'm doing Computer science, history, and psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You dont have to get a laptop, my boyfriend is going into 2nd year in it and he didnt have to get one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, I don't think a laptop is a requirement. I'm got this course too! I'm gonna be taking Economics and Info Studies or Statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not a requirement, but nice to have :)
    *strokes iBook*

• Advertisement

Yeah I wanted to get a laptop for a while and now I have an excuse, I don't care if I actually need it or not. I wanna do History but haven't a clue what else i'll do. Greek and Roman Civ sounds interesting but I don't have much info about it. I might end up doing information studies cause I heard its easy. I wish I could do English though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

kasintahan wrote:
    Everything
    from Developmental Psychology which gives you an insight into child learning and behaviour, very useful for most people seen as how most plan to have kids some day (maybe "plan" is the wrong word :D ).
    to
    Cognitive Psychology where you learn how you think, memorise and learn, useful for both personal studying or teching.
    Social Psychology dealing with attitudes/presuasion and most importantly interpersonal attraction.
    Theres Biological and Perception and one other that I keep forgetting (Alana had to lend me her notes a couple of days before the exam as I forgot it existed :rolleyes:)

Oh and stats, easy stats. I hate maths (or more correctly maths hates me) but it's mostly non numeric stuff until the last 2/3 lectures where it gets hairy but learnable. He puts a lot of effort into his lectures and it shows.

Hahahahahahahaa! I have got to do psychology. I'm taking it at A-Level at the moment and I did all those in year 12(5th year) already. Easy, easy marks for me.

I don't think I'm able to do history as my major :(

So it looks like I might do psychology as the major, and history as the minor. I don't know if I'm able to do that though; I thought you couldn't keep it on after 1st year if you don't get in the highest percentage of the class... so what would happen in that situation? I just do Computer Science for the other 3 years?

I also picked 2 elective modules from philosophy, so does that mean that I'll be able to say "yer, I have a BA in computer science and psychology, with a minor in history, and philosophy?" :eek: That'd be dead cool, lol

Yeah, thats similar to my plan. Do really well in my history modules and hope I can do it i second year. There are 2 big flaws though:
    1. Its stupid, and you can't go do 2nd year history after only doing 2 history modules.
    2. I'm stupid, and I won't do any work.

I can always hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I might end up doing information studies cause I heard its easy.

Caution! It's what I'd call ''very passable'' if you do your work and go to most of your lectures and tutorials but if you've got an idea that you can stroll it without doing very much will be gravely mistaken. It's a very good combination with Computer Science.

• Advertisement

UPDATE: I rang the programmes office earlier and they took the information and stuff, and said that they'd report it, that there shouldn't be a clash. They said that they'd get back to me, and that I should check online tomorrow to see if it's been fixed. They seemed optimistic enough that I should be able to do history as my major, but I won't hold my breath, just in case.

Oh and I'm not able to do psychology as a major, after first year. I can do it as the major in first year, but after that I can only do it as a minor -- so I can't get a psychology degree this way, only through the single honours subject course.

Well hopefully the history thing will work out, and then I'll be sorted.

I can't pick which 2 psychology modules to do for my minor!

Introduction to the Psychology of Perception and Cognition
    Introduction to Applied and Social Psychology
    Introduction to Developmental and Biological Psychology

They all seem brilliant! Anyone wanna help me out here? lol. I'm probably gonna do a minor in philosophy as well, with this Horizons lark.

Sorry to double post, but do I have to pick tutorials for all my subjects? And for all my modules? That would fill up my day alot more than it is now, lol. What happens in tutorials that doesn't happen in lectures? Is it just something you go to if you don't understand something on the course? Can I register for them all and then never go, and not have anyone notice?

Thankya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

DaveMcG wrote:
    Sorry to double post, but do I have to pick tutorials for all my subjects? And for all my modules? That would fill up my day alot more than it is now, lol. What happens in tutorials that doesn't happen in lectures? Is it just something you go to if you don't understand something on the course? Can I register for them all and then never go, and not have anyone notice?

Thankya!

Tutorials come hand in hand with lectures, like if you're taking lectures in cognitive psychology then you'll have some tutorials in that area too.
    Tutorials are where small groups sit around a table in a small room and work through problems. The lecturer is usually only there as a guide to steer the conversation and to make sure you don't all head off to the Sports Bar RIP.

It sounds like fun but when I was in 1st year tutorials consisted of standing around dead dogs with the nutty professor pulling out random organs and saying "Whats this". That was bollocks, which *we can say here!*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

DaveMcG wrote:
    Sorry to double post, but do I have to pick tutorials for all my subjects?

If there is a tutorial/practical attached to a module you choose then yes you have to do that tutorial/practical.

Note that the the same tutorial might be scheduled a number of times. You only have to pick one of these times.

I rang the programmes office earlier and they took the information and stuff, and said that they'd report it, that there shouldn't be a clash. They said that they'd get back to me, and that I should check online tomorrow to see if it's been fixed. They seemed optimistic enough that I should be able to do history as my major, but I won't hold my breath, just in case.
    Wow! Wish I thought of that. Well now that it seems that your doing all the dirty work for me you can fill me in when they do get back to you.

I rang them once again, an hour ago; it's been reported to the timetable people, but I still don't have a definite answer about if it'll be fixed or not. They should have an answer by tomorrow, and they'll give me a ring then.

Yeah I tried changing it today but had no luck. I can't see it happening though cos there would have to be a timetable change somewhere which would be hard with so many people already enroled into their courses.

I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do in that case... I'll have to change course to Arts :( There's no other good subjects, really. Is it possible to change course?

I think Info. studies sounds interesting so i'm not going to resort to something as drastic as changing my course. I only want to do history cos it sounds interesting and it was one of my better subjects in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

I'm doing Information Studies and Geography. Out of all the subjects they're two I think I'll hate the least.

• Advertisement

ewww :p History and psych are the way forward, maaaan! Ahh well, we'll have the computers class thing together, I suppose, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

DaveMcG wrote:
    ewww :p History and psych are the way forward, maaaan! Ahh well, we'll have the computers class thing together, I suppose, eh!

heh, yea. But don't you have to drop psych after first year? You're not doing any of the Horizons stuff either?

Yer, I'm dropping psychology after first year. I'm doin philosophy with Horizons, most likely. 2 modules = a minor. So if all goes according to plan, I'll have a BA in Computer Science and History, with a minor in Psychology, and Philosophy :) Sounds impressive, anyway, lol.

By that reckoning... who knows what I could make my degree sound like by the time I *finally* graduate... :p

Well if you'd stop hatin' on Horizons...! :mad:

Okay. I will shut up until next September. And concentrate on TKD and trying to organise a Halo tournament.
    :p

I'll have a BA in Computer Science and History, with a minor in Psychology, and Philosophy :) Sounds impressive, anyway, lol.
    Did you get the whole history thing sorted out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Yea Im in at the moment trying to sort out my repeating unpleasentness. Hopefully some sort of pubé will be open soon.

Did you get the whole history thing sorted out??

Nah :( They still haven't let me know... I talked to the lecturer dudes after that meeting today (were you there, btw?) and they said that it's a matter for the programmes office, it's over their head. They told me to speak to a student adviser and they might help, but the office I was directed to had a sign on it saying that whatever yer man's name was won't be in the office til 12th September. So I thought, feck it, and went home, but rang the Programmes office while I was waiting, and there was no answer (rang 3 seperate times). GRRG!!! I'll ring them once more tomorrow, then I'm going on a killing spree. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

OK so Good luck with the killing spreee!

Advertisement