Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing this course? (BA, Computer Science)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

They still haven't let me know... I talked to the lecturer dudes after that meeting today (were you there, btw?)
    Yeah I managed to go to that one. I missed the Comp Sci. meeting though. was it any good???
    I had a few words with some lecturer guy aswell and he assured me that you can continue on to 2nd year history without doing the 4 modules. Thats good enough for me!!!

which one are you talkin about? lol. I went to the Inaugoration meeting, and the BA Computer Science one, but didn't bother with the Academic Advisory one. The Computer science one was alright... didn't really tell us anything new, and it only lasted about 10/15 minutes. The lecturer bloke and his assistant person just introduced themselves and told us about how important practicals are, basically. Nothin important! lol.

I'll give the office a ring tomorrow, once more, and I'll let you know what's the craic.

Riiiight.... well, I rang the office about 100 times on Friday, cos I was panicked about starting on Monday and not knowing anything, and I finally got through to Deirdre O Brien.

She said, I am NOT able to do history as a major in first year, but that I am in second year and on(so I can get the history degree). It's hard to explain, but basically this is what she told me to do...

Computer Science - 4 modules
    Psychology - 4 modules
    History - 3* modules
    Philosophy - 1 module

total - 12 modules

* This is because I'm not able to do the 4th module this year, SO, I'm gonna have to do it NEXT year. I could do just the 2 modules this year, but that would mean that I'd have to do 6 history modules next year. This way, I have to do 5 next year (1 being the one that I couldn't do this year, and the other 4 being the 2nd year ones).
    But what seems iffy to me is that I've not got 5 history modules that I have to do next year, so that means that there's more chance of a further clash. Deirdre seemed confident that I'm able to do the 5 modules next year, and she rang up someone above her to confirm it... but it still seems really iffy to me.

I'm going to ring her on Monday and find out a bit more, cos I'm not convinced, really. I think it may be easier to just change course to Arts, and not have this problem. Cos what happens if it DOES clash next year? I end up doing all this work and then coming out with only a BA in computer science and a load of minors? It's a little worrying. I'm gonna get her to email it to me to confirm that I'm able to do it, just in case next year there's a problem, I can throw that in their face. This is the college's fault, they're gonna have to accomodate me in this course, or to change to another course.

So, that's the low-down basically, lol. I'll fill you in further on Monday.

Does anyone know, how easy would it be to change course, from BA Computer science to just Arts? Thanks

Yeah I talked to some english guy( history lecturer) and he told me something similar and he gave me a leaflet which said that you could do 2nd year history with only 2 modules in first year. All in all i'm a bit more relaxed about the whole situation now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Was that Dr. Richard Aldous you were talking to?
    He's a sound bloke, brilliant lecturer. Just one of the many reasons why History's a good course.

Em.....probably??
    He was pretty helpful so it could be him.

Yeah I talked to some english guy( history lecturer) and he told me something similar and he gave me a leaflet which said that you could do 2nd year history with only 2 modules in first year. All in all i'm a bit more relaxed about the whole situation now.

When did you talk to him? Cos at the first meeting for Arts people(orientation, maybe?) they announced about 100 times that people who wanted to do History and Computer science together should go to *some place* and I assumed that information was locked in my brain, but it turns it that it wasn't locked in my brain, and so I didn't go to that place :D So where do I go to talk to that bloke? Thankya!

I missed the orientation thing but I went to the academic advisory meeting and all the lecturers and dept. heads were at desks giving out information.
    I'm a bit worried about that thing you mentioned, where students wanting to do history and comp sci. go to some place.
    The History leaflet that they were handing out also said that those doing minor history can go into 2nd year and catch up on the modules they didn't do then.

I missed the orientation thing but I went to the academic advisory meeting and all the lecturers and dept. heads were at desks giving out information.
    I'm a bit worried about that thing you mentioned, where students wanting to do history and comp sci. go to some place.
    The History leaflet that they were handing out also said that those doing minor history can go into 2nd year and catch up on the modules they didn't do then.

Oh really? Cos that's what the person in the office told me... but I'm just afraid that the timetable will clash next year as well. Are you gonna do that, then? Catch up next year? Or are you just gonna do a different subject?

• Advertisement

No, I'll stick with history as a minor and do another history module as an elective, then catch up on the other one next year. It should work out in the end. I hope it does.

Your optimism is very reassuring :p Well I'm gonna get onto the office again on Monday and put my mind at ease, anywho. If they're happy it won't clash next year, then I'll stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sh0rty7

Hey first post! I did my leaving this year so going into college in september and I got computer science in arts as my no.1. I read on the ucd website they had modules(albeit I think only in 3rd and 4th year) in multimedia design and graphics for games and the web and also a couple modules in motion picture post production.I wanna be a graphic designer so I was hopin this would be a good basic start that I wud actually get a job out of.I know theres not much graphic stuff but can anyone whos doin the degree tell me how much there actually is?
    thanx

oh and also if I didnt like it and wanted to move to 2nd year arts after 1st year and do english cud I?or is that impossible cos I wudnt of been able to do english+computers in 1st year

Advertisement