Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat in Howth?

Options
  • 16-08-2005 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

Hello there.. Everytime i try to pick a restaurant i come to this forum and read the reviews first and right now i'm trying to decide where in Howth i should eat. I can afford up to about e60 or e70 between 2 people and shall be dining on a thursday night (taking my lady out on an elaborate post-LC results DART adventure and closing it off with a nice meal).

I'm looking at adlib.ie as we speak but there aren't many reviews on it and i'm not getting a good idea of whether or not i want to go to the places they have listed (And don't think i can afford the 3 star price places)

Alternatively i would consider any nice restaurants you may know of in Clontarf, Raheny, Sutton etc (anywhere on the northside Dart line... my current plan puts most of the day on the Southside)

Thank you very much for any help and advice you can give me with this!
    Good karma to all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'd always go for Aqua out in Howth for decent food - lovely views as well. However you're not going to get that for 70 quid for 2 unfortunately, however they might have a set menu - check the website:

http://www.aqua.ie/menu.htm

Just checked - there is an early bird menu for 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If you like mexican food at all I'd recommend El Paso, its so delicious. It's actually where I went after my LC results last year! They also do steaks and burgers. Really can't recommend it highly enough. Not very posh/formal but very comfortable and the food was amazing.

Menu at http://www.elpasorestaurant.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

(argh.. just cleared this by mistake). Thanks for the ideas both of you.. Aqua sounds a little out of my price range Arthur and i don't think i'll make the early bird. I've never tried mexican and will consider El Paso.. might actually head out to Howth tomorrow sometime and check the restaurants out.

Does anyone have experience with the Wheelhouse or the Big Blue Restaurant? both sound kinda nice..

thank you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

The Wheelhouse is nice - great for seafood but a good range otherwise
    Haven't been to the Big Blue but I heard its ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I have a friend that always goes to Big Blue and swears by it. I've been to it three times and it's been alright 2 out of 3. But the last time it was terrible. The salmon my girlfriend wasn't fresh at all and the fajitas I ordered turned out to be a crap quesadilla. Any chef that doesn't know the difference has to be bad. As for ElPaso, it's ok but again it's over priced and the food is average, not good mexican at all. Aqua is ok but expensive and they have small portions. There's a new place just beside the Dart station that's just opened that looks good. I'll check the name out later on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aqua - expensive, very good but they do an early bird www.aqua.ie
    The Bloody Stream - bar and restaurant in DART station- great seafood.

Bloody Stream is very pubish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FX Meister wrote:
    Bloody Stream is very pubish I think.
    Not upstairs. Proper restaurant.

Ok, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

the king sitric howth runs a special value meal mon to thurs 2 courses 30 euro 3 courses 35 euro now for the best rest in howth thats impressive. :cool:

• Advertisement

The Findlater, that's the new place I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

OP, where did you go in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

Yeah, the fish in The Bloody Stream is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Malorkus

Casa Pasta - excellent food, consistant quality, good prices, great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jblennon101

il porto- great little italian just down the pier not as far as aqua

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks,

On my way to Howth with the clan on Saturday (10 people).

I see El Paso is gone!!!

We usual go to Casa Pasta, so we're gonna give that a miss. Great place though. :)

So does anyone have any recommendations....its been a while since I've
    been in Howth.

How about Il Porto mentioned in the previous thread.

Or the Oar House?

Anywhere new in Howth?

Thanks in advance Folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

oldscoil wrote: »

I see El Paso is gone!!!

I'm KNOW :( I'm devastated. It was sooooo gooooood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I like that homely feeling in Big Blue. Food is good too, but then again I haven't been there in yonkers.
    Aqua is also good, especially if you're seated right next to the window. It is pricey, but good.
    Bloody Stream's restaurant upstairs isn't anymore pubish than downstairs. I'd rather sit outside on the bench, but the food is very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

Had a great meal there,3 course and bottle wine 70 euro lovely place great service me and the wife very happy:)

Advertisement