Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Cleaning

Options
  • 16-08-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've a few stains (oil, grease, general dirt) on my (I don't know the material, it's certainly not leather though:D) Nissan Micra, 1996, seats.

Any home solution that's good for washing out car seats?

Should I turn to the shopping channel for some Brilliant White crap? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Get some washing up liquid/washing powder in a basin, add water and foam it right up. Put put the suds onto the stain and use a clothes brush to get the stain/dirt/grease out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

I had an old mini once and the seats were dirty so I used what alias no.9 said and they came out lovely and clean and a nice fresh smell too. Use really hot water and rub hard with the brush. The oil may take a couple of washes to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I've been told before that disolving some "Vanish" bar in a bucket of warm water and using it works a treat.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool, thanks for the tips!! I used some persil in a bucket of warm water before and doused the seat in it, I didn't really bother scrubbing it, I think I did, just not much, it got rid of a grease stain but left a stain of washing powder in the material :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You don't want to use the water, just the suds, let them settle on the seat for a couple of minutes and get the brush out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Any of the seat upholstery spray on cleaners you can buy in the auto shops are quite good - just leave it soak in for a while and rub the soiled area gently with a clean cloth in a rotating type motion (reversing it now and again) giving an extra spray as appropriate.

The procedure may have to be repeated a few times to finally remove the stains. It is better to do the entire seat cushion rather than just the stains as the cleaned area might show a ring mark around it if you don't.

Fabric seats may look clean but its when you clean one part of it you see that is not generally the case. ;)

Allow the seats to dry fully before sitting on them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

My car had a few stains in the front seats and they were generally a bit grubby from the previous owner, he obviously got dirty alot. I bought Halfords own brand cleaner after reading good reviews of it on the net. It got rid of the stains alright but as Alfasud said, you need to do the whole seat to get that even look.

I didn't have the patience for that so I took the lazy way out and just got it valeted instead, seats look as good as new now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the tips folks:)

Advertisement