Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter preparation

Options
  • 16-08-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

So I'm going back to college in September & I'm gonna be a poor student again. While I've still got a job, just wondering what you guys would suggest I do to my car to prepare it for Winter. Don't want it to be not starting in the cold mornings. So far I've done the following
    • Changed the oil
    • Got a new battery
    • Drained & flushed the coolant system & filled with a 60:40 anti-free:water mix
    • Changed the leads

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

fletch wrote:

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Sleeping bag in the boot and bottle of Paddy in the glove box.... just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Our winters are hardly severe - was there even ice on the roads last winter?

Your tyres, wipers & bulbs are probably the most important thing to have in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Our winters are hardly severe - was there even ice on the roads last winter?

Your tyres, wipers & bulbs are probably the most important thing to have in good order.
    Tyres only got about 4000miles on em, all bulbs working & wipers in order....shoud be ok so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy some jump leads. Get some de-icer, buy a bottle of anti mist (not "Fog X" I dont rate it all at) keep a clean cotton rag in the car (for the windows!). Buy spares bulbs and some fuses every car should have these as you'll be driving in darkness more. A sheet of card is useful for the frosty nights.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

To prepare for when you get a puncture on a cold, wet winter's night
    -check you wheel brace, jack, spare wheel
    -carry a torch with working batteries
    -carry a mat to kneel on while you're changing the wheel

Also check yoour windscreen washer. If you have pure water in the reservoir it will freeze and maybe burst the reservoir if there's a hard frost. Mix washer additive with the water to reduce the chance of this happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

-carry a torch with working batteries
    Or better still (IMO) a light that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Mine's magnetic and can be attached anywhere on the car's body that's convenient, and puts out more light than your average torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Alun wrote:
    Or better still (IMO) a light that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Mine's magnetic and can be attached anywhere on the car's body that's convenient, and puts out more light than your average torch.
    Good idea :)

Another useful thing to keep in the car for wheel changing would be a warning triangle.

Think I'm fairly covered so cause I have a few spare bulbs in the car, a 12V tyre inflator with combined torch, can use the car mats to kneel on, must get me a warning triangle, although on the tyre inflator you can switch the light colour to red....thanks for the suggestions.
    (off to buy a few spare fuses and I think I'm set) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Use washer fluid that is rated for below zero if you are anticipating ice/snow.

check your spare tyre, jack, etc are all in good nick.
    Neoprene gloves as used by divers/windsurfers are good for handling wet-cold-slushcovered jacks, tyres and wheelnuts.

If you have AirCon, you can use that to reduce the glass steaming up.
    Get the little gizmo for pulling/inserting the fuses along with the fuses and you can also get a little gizmo to enable you to test fuses without removing them.
    Belt check.

I think you shoud be good for the Tundra thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont forget to check the state of your alternator belt, no good spending money a battery if the thing does'nt get a proper charge. Very important in winter with so much current being drawn.

Mike.

ps I have an image of fletch looking like Edmund Hillary in a hatchback!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

As others mentioned proper winter tires are the most important thing. Summer tires harden when the temperature drops below 5ish c severely limiting the amount of grip. Winter tires are made out of softer compound.

mike65 wrote:
    ps I have an image of fletch looking like Edmund Hillary in a hatchback!
    lol lol lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

no one's mentioned a hi-viz vest, very handy if you have to be changing a tyre etc somewhere there isn't streetlighting. better to be seen from a distance in it

Advertisement