Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Issue (Bet this hasn't been done before)

• 16-08-2005 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I have had UTV BB for over three months now. The first three months as trial then you are tied into a 12month contract if you don't send back the modem.
    For those three months everything was completely problem free, and I was getting nice speeds etc. I was very happy all round, and decided to keep the product once the three months were up.

Day one of the 12 month contract. No Connection
    Day two of the 12 month contract. No Connection
    Day three . ... Called support, answered immediatly and the tech dude told me how to reboot the router thing.
    Days 4 to yesterday, I have to try 3 or four times, rebooting the router before I can connect.
    Yesterday, spent over 2 hours trying to reboot the bloody router, rebooting the computer, disconnecting & reconnecting the phone line, blah blah. And could not connect at all.

Any else experience this?
    Is it coincidence that the problems started the VERY DAY I entered the 12 month contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Howya prospect. I've been with UTV for a year and a half (since before the 3 months' free trials were offered by all and sundry). Only experienced 2 or 3 outages in that time. Mostly happy with service, but am currently looking for ways to reduce my comms bills, currently running about 80 yoyos a month. For phone and broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

prospect wrote:
    Hi All,
    I have had UTV BB for over three months now. The first three months as trial then you are tied into a 12month contract if you don't send back the modem.
    For those three months everything was completely problem free, and I was getting nice speeds etc. I was very happy all round, and decided to keep the product once the three months were up.

Day three . ... Called support, answered immediatly and the tech dude told me how to reboot the router thing.
    Days 4 to yesterday, I have to try 3 or four times, rebooting the router before I can connect.
    Yesterday, spent over 2 hours trying to reboot the bloody router, rebooting the computer, disconnecting & reconnecting the phone line, blah blah. And could not connect at all.

Is it coincidence that the problems started the VERY DAY I entered the 12 month contract?

UTv are hardly going to set up a system to start giving their customers problems. Is the router showing a dsl signal on the line? Is it possible to borrow another router to see if the router itself is at fault? If the signal is there you should ask UTV to give you another user name and password - from time to time in the past a problem of some sort has cropped up which was solved by a new user name and password. Failing all of that try mailing carl@u.tv giving full details of your problem and see if he can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

prospect wrote:
    Hi All,

I've had the exact same problem soon after entering the 12 month contract, 12 months later and I still get the same problem. I gave up ringing them about it, they just say all we can do is log it with Eircom, when I say you've told me that 5 times already they say well all we can do is log it again. UTV don't care, they have you in a contract and there's nothing you can do regardless of the level of service they give you. I'm waiting for the switch to BT I wish they'd hurry up!!

Also, if you are on clicksilver plus I would check your speed on www.irishisptest.com or similar, bet you anything you're on a 1mb line even though you're paying the full 45 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dub45 wrote:
    UTv are hardly going to set up a system to start giving their customers problems

I know, but is so flipping annoying, and a huge coincidence.
    Priority on connections being given to trial customers to reel them in! It isn't beyond reason.

I have e-mailed them and am awaiting a response. I just wanted to know if this is a 'unique' occurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I've been getting good service from UTV for 4 or 5 months - no major prob.s

Was told to sign up by a mate who had no UTV issues over a long period of time - was v. happy.

- That said however I am having issues with a dropped connection these days (Circa 2 weeks), DSL is usually not connected when I boot PC initially and recently it fails to reconnect unless I try 5 or 6 times. Rang support and they seemd quite badly informed/trained/inclined to assist to be honest.

Girl said some other bloke would check it out the next day - he merely passed the buck by referring problem to Creative Lab.s who support the router. Wasn't thrilled because the diagnostic test I quoted them seemed to suggest other issues were at fault. Creative labs wanted me to update firmware etc. etc.

Anyone else in same boat?

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote:
    I've been getting good service from UTV for 4 or 5 months - no major prob.s

Was told to sign up by a mate who had no UTV issues over a long period of time - was v. happy.

- That said however I am having issues with a dropped connection these days (Circa 2 weeks), DSL is usually not connected when I boot PC initially and recently it fails to reconnect unless I try 5 or 6 times. Rang support and they seemd quite badly informed/trained/inclined to assist to be honest.

Girl said some other bloke would check it out the next day - he merely passed the buck by referring problem to Creative Lab.s who support the router. Wasn't thrilled because the diagnostic test I quoted them seemed to suggest other issues were at fault. Creative labs wanted me to update firmware etc. etc.

Anyone else in same boat?

If you look in the support group you will see that dropped connections is an ongoing issue. Try mailing carl@u.tv giving full details of your problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks Dub - Where can I find "The support group"?

Raiser wrote:
    Thanks Dub - Where can I find "The support group"?

In whatever newsreader you use (outlook express will do fine) news.utvinternet.com is the news server and then look for utv.support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Raiser wrote:
    That said however I am having issues with a dropped connection these days (Circa 2 weeks), DSL is usually not connected when I boot PC initially and recently it fails to reconnect unless I try 5 or 6 times.

I was having a similar issue - took 10-20 attempts before the PPPoE session would connect. However, because I was using my own modem (DLINK-300), UTV wouldn't provide support, which is fair enough. The way I solved the problem was by buying a new wireless router (3com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway). Plugged the modem into this, configured it with my username/password and I've had no problems since. Internet is always up and I have wireless access to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tslattery

UTV are a disgrace, stay away from them. I've been subjected to the same crap service as described here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I haven't had the chance to follow up yet, but will do tonight.

I will have no concerns pulling the plug on the service though. And they can argue all they want about the small print on contracts.
    It is as simple as this:
    If I don't get a reasonable broadband service, they don't get my money.

Advertisement