Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay/Wages/Remuniration for Graphic Work???

Options
  • 16-08-2005 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

I've been doing some graphic work for a company for a while now but I feel I've been really undercharging for my work.

Just wondering how much is a going rate for designing posters flyers etc that have been printed and will be in the near future? I've so far done a flyer design which I did various prototypes of before they chose one they liked and then recently I did a large poster design for them to use within their premises. I'm curious what people doing freelance work would charge normally?

Thanks.

Ry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

Hey Ry,

I've been working as a designer for a few years now and I still am a little unsure as to the 'right' way to charge. A good way to get a good price gamut [although prob not the most honourable] is to ring a range of studios and quote a few dummy jobs. Usually, large design houses have hourly rates of €75+ per hour. It really depends on (a) how good you are, (b) how much experience you have, (c)who your client is and (d) the end use of your design.

(a & b) If your getting regular positive feedback from a few clients, then it's afe to start upping your price.

(c) this should be obvious enough, but larger clients can afford a pricier rate. This doesn't mean large clients will tolerate being milked, but certainly, a rate that is seen to be too low can in certain circumstances be seen as an unprofessional price.

(d) nationwide billboards for example, should be billed higher than a few branded party invites or something. Don't be afraid to make this sort of enquiry in the pre-quote stages, because if nothing else, it will make you look informed and experienced.

I have a simple [but not strict] formula to work out my ball park price. if you are gonna use something like this, once you have a price written down, spend a bit of time just looking at it and consider if it is infact a reasonable price. Don't be greedy and don't undersell yourself.

A word of warning though; it's not advisable to switch prices mid-relationship unless your client will immediately see a benefit to the increase in price. In other words, if your on €25 p.h. at the moment with client X then tomorrow you start charging them €50 p.h.; unless your client can't live without you [which is very rarely the case] then you can pretty much kiss them goodbye.

Also, a lot of freelancers make the mistake of trying to subsidise a client base with high prices; in other words if you only have 2 clients on a regular basis and you want to make €600 bucks a week, you do not split that 600 between the two clients, regardless of the work. In business, inconsistency is scary, unreliable and just plain amatuer.

Advertisement