Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Planning World Cup bid

• 16-08-2005 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

From the BBC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4155856.stm
    FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick says that England may bid to host the 2018 World Cup after the success of the 2012 Olympics campaign.
    He said: "It's right and proper for the London Olympics bid to take precedence but why wouldn't we go for it?

"I think we would bid further down the line. The next time that it should come to Europe is probably 2018 and we have got enough time to get organised."

The FA, who missed out in the 2006 bid, have yet to make any firm decisions.

Next summer's World Cup will be staged in Germany and is not expected to return to Europe for another 12 years.

England hosted the World Cup in 1966 - when the home nation won the tournament - and also staged Euro 96.

But their efforts to host the 2006 World Cup ended in failure, with the English FA accused of breaking an agreement to support Germany after they backed England's Euro 96 campaign.

Barwick, meanwhile, is hopeful that England will win next summer's World Cup.

"I see 2006 as a big year for the Football Association. Hopefully we will qualify for the World Cup and give it a real go," he said.

"If and when we qualify, we would go into the World Cup as one of the teams that can win it. It's in the right climate and the right time-zone.

"We have a very good team and are making impressions on European club football too.

"I think we've made progress as an international footballing nation and can be expected to do well. This country will come to a halt if we do."

I think it would be great if England hosted it, having a world cup on our door step, if we were to qualify there whould be huge support at Ireland games.

Plus countries could come to Ireland for pre tournament training, that's if we actually build any decent facilities.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I think it would be great too, don't think it would affect our support massively, as we always seem to have the highest numbers of fans at World Cups. England would have plenty of stadia fit for such an occasion:
    • New Wembley
    • Old Trafford
    • City of Manchester Stadium
    • Emirates Stadium
    • St. James Park
    • Stadium of Light
    • Anfield / Possible new stadium in Liverpool
    • Villa Park

etc...

Fairly well spread out around the country as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd like to see them host it too, i don't see why not either, if they can get the olympics and euro 96 there's no reason why they couldn't. Would be great for Ireland supporters, and wouldn't it be great for Ireland to win the World cup in England :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DubGuy wrote:
    I'd like to see them host it too, i don't see why not either, if they can get the olympics and euro 96 there's no reason why they couldn't. Would be great for Ireland supporters, and wouldn't it be great for Ireland to win the World cup in England :D

With me at the helm and Keano as my right hand man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

DubGuy wrote:
    wouldn't it be great for Ireland to win the World cup in England :D

Wouldn't it be just great to qualify!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Fantastic stuff, hope we get it!
    This is all down to the (surprise) success of the Olympics bid - Britain feels like it's on a roll now, and has momentum.

Even if we won, it's 13 years away, so god knows what the quality of the Irish (and English) teams will be like then. Hope Ireland's team is good enough to qualify, they'd get amazing support (as they always do, wherever they are) but remember, we said the same thing when England won the Euro '96 bid. And look what happened then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement