Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slim fitting suits?

• 16-08-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy a slimfitting suit? I have a suit already but I hate wearing the jacket. It always feels oversized. I've a slim build and as such I want a suit to compliment that.. I tried in Louis Copeland, but I didn't like anything they showed me..

All suggestions appreciated..

Kev.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy a slimfitting suit? I have a suit already but I hate wearing the jacket. It always feels oversized. I've a slim build and as such I want a suit to compliment that.. I tried in Louis Copeland, but I didn't like anything they showed me..

All suggestions appreciated..

Kev.

I hate the way suits come too but I get them taylored after buying them, makes them a really nice fit. IWhereever you buy them they should be able to recomend a taylor for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. Is tailoring expensive?

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. Is tailoring expensive?

K.

no its about €30 for the jacket and €20 for the trousers. There are two off grafton Street that are very good. One is on Wexford Street I forget the name but he is the one Brown Thomas use, about half way down on the left there is a green door to the upstairs and his name is on a godl plaque as a tailor. Otherwise just ask in any suit shop and they should be able to recomend someone. The Suitable Company is excellent for suits, fairly cheap but great wear out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I too am of slim build and bought a nice fitting black suit on the bottom floor of Brown Thomas during the sales. Still a bit on the expensive side but when i feel good in a nice suit I have to admit a feel more confident and comfortable as apposed to feeling like the suit doesn't fit me and i got a hand me down from my older brother :D

Cool thanks for the tips guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

hey kev... I also take a slim fit

Downstairs debanhams in jervis, they do 2 brands that are slim fit, I got a young lad in there to help me one day, he's in charge of that section, very helpful and managed to get the best fitting suit I'd tried anywhere...

I personally think a cheaper well fitted suit is better than an expensive ill-fitting one, and the ill fitting ones are expensive and sometimes impossible to be tailored to fit slim fitted people...

chump wrote:
    hey kev... I also take a slim fit

Downstairs debanhams in jervis, they do 2 brands that are slim fit, I got a young lad in there to help me one day, he's in charge of that section, very helpful and managed to get the best fitting suit I'd tried anywhere...

I personally think a cheaper well fitted suit is better than an expensive ill-fitting one, and the ill fitting ones are expensive and sometimes impossible to be tailored to fit slim fitted people...

Cool. If you don't mind my asking, what sort of price would you be looking at for a suit in Debenhams?

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Try those 'Best' stores if you don't want to spend too much on a suit. They sell a brand called Remus - decent enough stuff for the money and the jackets have a good taper. Trousers are nice, slim-fit, flat front jobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

(I'm assuming this is for work purposes, otherwise disregard the following advice)

Get a suit tailored, it really does make a difference. You do not want to be in a cheap suit if you are working in it. Excluding door-door sales and the like. It shows, after a few years in suits you can spot cheaper suits most of the time and it does reflect badly on the wearer. This is in professional work situations, ie not interviews.

You not only want to feel good in a suit (which is extremely important, if you feel good, you are more relaxed and have better body language. Think of any guy you've seen in an ill fitted suit looking uncomfortable and you'll get what I mean), you also want for it to reflect your position etc. Shallow, but true. Walk into the office of a guy who's in a "good position", if he's in a cheap ill-fitted suit it doesn't say much for his level of professionalism.

Also, don't go to the expense and trouble of getting a suit tailored and then neglect the rest. Shirts, ties etc must match the suit you're wearing. A €500 suit is very nice, combine it with a €10 shirt from dunnes and you look terrible. If you're going to go to the expense of getting a good suit, then get a few nice shirts, nothing too expensive, you can pick up good shirts for €60 or so. Then ties, ties are a matter of personal taste to an extent. Can you match ties to shirts and suits? If you can't don't be afraid to get some help. The wrong tie ruins the whole effect. You don't need to spend crazy amounts in BT's for ties but one or two nice ones are handy.

The main thing I can tell you is to ignore "designer" labels. Unless you are working very high end, extremely well paid work, then they are a waste of money. You don't need them, and suits are expensive enough as is.

Off the rack suits can work, but be prepared to try on a lot of them. It will take quite a bit of effort to find the right fit combined with a style and colour you like. Doeable, and cheaper generally than getting one tailored, but more hassle.

Oh and, in my experience, you generally will notice every extra cent spent on getting a good suit when you have to work in them. It really is very noticeable wearing something tailored to fit you and of good material. Feels good tbh.

If you aren't getting one for work, then meh, ignore my 5am ramblings ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    I 2 used to find it hard to get a good fitting slim suit for work...
    I came across Paul Smith suits in BT's, theyre generally an excellent fit
    Try Hugo Boss also, wait for the sales in either July or December and you'll pick up a really good suit for half the original price.

Generally I buy a suit and pants in the same suit style but different sizes, first get the jacket to fit and then search out a pants ( generally in BT's they'll allow u 2 do this) from another size if needs be. I'd generally buy a 44 Reg jkt and the pants for the suit 1 size smaller.(Im 6ft 2 and and need 36 in pants)

Mike

• Advertisement
Advertisement