Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt Broadband Help

• 16-08-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hey
    Could anyone tell me how I go about getting an engineer out to inspect the connections for the phone line in my house.

Basically I cannot pass the loopback test and I have tried everything that has been suggested and I was told by the BT support that I should have the line inspected to ensure everything is ok at this end.

Any suggestions, I emailed Eircom but they just told me to call there Broadband support. Any help appreciated as i would like to get this resolved as soon as possible as I'm being charged for 2 services at the moment :mad: - Anytime and Broadband.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cassette50 wrote:
    Basically I cannot pass the loopback test and I have tried everything that has been suggested and I was told by the BT support that I should have the line inspected to ensure everything is ok at this end.
    That's called passing the buck, something BT seem quite adept at. You're paying BT for a service which they in turn are purchasing from Eircom. If there is a broadband problem then it's up to BT (because you're paying them) to log the fault with their provider (Eircom) and get Eircom to send an engineer out.

Contacting Eircom's Broadband customer service will get you nowhere because you're not an Eircom broadband customer, well not directly anyway.

Don't stand for this rubbish from BT, it's their problem. Tell them to fix it, or stop paying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Thanks - I'll get back on to them this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

cassette50, i am sorry to tell you about my experience because it will probably diminish what little hope you have left at this stage! i was down for the same issue for 5 weeks , they sent me out a new modem (which took two weeks to arrive because an post are so bad) but when it did arrive my servcie still did not work. i (like you ) kept failing the loopback test also, even though i had an ip address and was allegedly connected to the network.

after 5 weeks with no progress, despite me trying things like doing a 15 min line reset, trying all manner of sharter ethernet cables and phone cables, still no service. so, bt's answer was to either wait a few months while they "escalated the issue to eircom again" or else get a new internet service provider. :mad: I cancelled my bt broadband contract (effective from the 3rd of july, when i stopped being able to access their service) and am being hooked up to ntl 3mb service tomorrow afternoon (i live in clonee, d15 area) with three months free :) .

so in short, i wouldn't hold out much hope. i have sent a letter of complaint to comreg though. i disagree about the comment regarding eircom though, i rang their tech support guy and explained my problem and basically he told me that, despite what bt might tell you to the contrary, bt is allowed full access both to your home to inspect your phone line, and also to the exchange to verify your jumper settings. BT though will probably tell you that they have no engineers and that they have to rely on eircom and take them at their word when they request a line check.

Advertisement