Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Pub Boycott Day - Fri 9th Sept '05

Options
  • 16-08-2005 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

Received this email today and thought it was definately worth posting. I have already passed it on to as many people as I can it'd be great if it caught on! Here's the text...

National Pub Boycott Day – Fri 9th Sept ‘05
    With our politicians failing us it is time for Positive Action. The first of hopefully many national boycott and positive action days against those institutions and companies that are ripping us off. Since our democratically elected representatives seem unwilling or unable to help us it is time to help ourselves.

· Do not go to a public house on 9th of September 2005
    · Stay at home and have friends for dinner
    · Go to the cinema
    · Go to a local non-alcoholic event

Take one day and help yourself and others, hit them where it hurts the most, their pockets.
    National Pub Boycott Day – Fri 9th Sept ‘05

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Without a huge national marketing campaign to back it, this isn't going to reach numbers that matter..... great idea, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I for one am sick and tired of being robbed everytime i want to go for a pint.. even though its a friday i'm gonna drink at home. Power to the people

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

these boycott emails are silly, you'd be better off spending some time to find the cheapest pub in your area and drink there from now on. Tell your new pub why you drink there and tell your old pub why you moved.

a boycott is just too easy and would be ignored, one day wont affect any publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

So, what does it take to gather all together and spread posters all over the cities ?

As TmB said, only a minority will do that and the rest will just act as usual.

Anyway, I boycott the pubs everyday since I decided not to go to the pub anymore.

Gaetan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Given the comments above about how this won't work, how about we try to see if we can actually do anything about it to make it work.

Without being cynical, lets see if we can broadcast to the most people possible.

We can do it on the back of the current success and high profile of the "Ripoff Republic" programme mentioned elsewhere here.

Can't do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

JJDoherty wrote:
    · Stay at home and have friends for dinner

Nah, I think I'll stick with my plans to have pizza for dinner on Friday. My friends are too chewy.

Although I disagree with the idea of the boycott, I won't be down the pub on Friday anyway. I'll be in studio doing a live 3 hour radio show and then home having a few gottles of geer afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I think FinoBlad has the better answer. Show a positive preference for the pubs that compete on price. That will send a much stronger message, and can be continued in the long term without having to do without a night out.

Or, as Eddie Hobbs suggested, drink pints of tap water in the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mangler

I honestly cannot see this working, Its on a Friday
    The Irish have been brought up to crave drink, I mean people
    in this country are still judged by how much alcohol they can consume
    in a sitting, and the Irish especially like to do this on a Friday.
    Our generation are beyond help, we need to start teaching the kids
    that there are other things to do other than get completely rat-arsed
    in a pub or club. The Cafe Culture would have been good idea, in order
    to teach people to sit back relax have a bite to eat and a glass of wine,
    but I have heard that this has been scrapped is this correct ??

Mangler wrote:
    I honestly cannot see this working, Its on a Friday
    The Irish have been brought up to crave drink, I mean people
    in this country are still judged by how much alcohol they can consume
    in a sitting, and the Irish especially like to do this on a Friday.
    Our generation are beyond help, we need to start teaching the kids
    that there are other things to do other than get completely rat-arsed
    in a pub or club. The Cafe Culture would have been good idea, in order
    to teach people to sit back relax have a bite to eat and a glass of wine,
    but I have heard that this has been scrapped is this correct ??

This is the kind of mealy-mouthed responses you'd expect from Irish people when someone comes up with an idea to do something.

"blah blah, why bothers, no point, i can't be arsed".....

For one day, if you still want to get bladdered, get some beers from the off-licence, or wine or spirits, or whatever you're having yourself, invite your mates round, and have a knees-up in the house.

It's the easiest thing in the world to do. It'll save you money. And it'll make a small gesture.

Why the hell not!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

As the message says at the end "Take one day..."! If you don't think it'll work but are still pissed at being ripped off then it won't hurt you.

Copying the message and sending it off to a few friends won't hurt you either, let them make up their own mind. Go on give it a try and make alternative arrangements for that Friday, just to see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Sarsfield wrote:
    Or, as Eddie Hobbs suggested, drink pints of tap water in the pub!

Are you allowed to go into a pub and just ask for tap water? Without buying anything else.

Skitbra wrote:
    Are you allowed to go into a pub and just ask for tap water? Without buying anything else.

Don't know if there's any rules on this? Would it be better stay out? I know my willpower wouldn't allow me into a pub drinking water for a whole night.

I'm weak, I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A friend of mine did that about a year ago, and had the trots for 24 hours after. Its like the publican thought "I'll teach you to order feckin' water!".

My friend has been drinking bottled water in pubs since.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Skitbra wrote:

I have always thought that it is illegal for them to refuse you tap water or to charge for it.. I dunno how true that is..

Board@Work wrote:
    I have always thought that it is illegal for them to refuse you tap water or to charge for it.. I dunno how true that is..

I'm sure right of admission is reserved and all that. And a shop/pub doesn't have to sell stuff to you - they're offering it to you with a view to entering into a contract.

If they don't like the look of you, or they don't want to give you water, they can refuse. Their pub, their rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mangler

"This is the kind of mealy-mouthed responses you'd expect from Irish people when someone comes up with an idea to do something"

Did you even bother to read what I posted you thick Lepricaun

Mangler wrote:
    "This is the kind of mealy-mouthed responses you'd expect from Irish people when someone comes up with an idea to do something"

Did you even bother to read what I posted you thick Lepricaun

Yeah. You were coming up with multiple reasons for you, yourself, to do absolutely sfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wasn't there a boycott the pub day last year aswell? I don't think it worked though as there was simply not enough coverage or campaigning. It needs a group to organise it and get press-releases and so on, not just a chain email that most people will simply ignore. I remember a guy from the Vintners Association being interviewed on TV3 news I think and was all smarmy about how this boycott wouldn't work and how the Pub would be the winner etc. Really got up my nose and I wished that it would work, but I don't think it did.

I more than likely won't be going to the pub that night as I normally don't go out to the pub on a Friday anyway. Plus I don't think a one day boycott will have any effect anyway, the simple solution is for everyone to cut back on the amount the spend in pubs. I don't go to the pub nearly as often these days as I did say five years ago. It's just gone so expensive for a night out, I'd rather go to the cinema (if there was anything worth seeing but that's a different matter) or stay in or do something that doesn't involve drink.

Already we see the publicans complaining that business is down and that they are being forced to close in some cases (blaming the smoking ban of course). People are seeing the light and are staying away from the pub because of the expense. Maybe the publicans will cop on and reduce prices and we can all go back to happy days of cheap plonk and getting blotto every night, or maybe we'll choose to not go back to that regardless.

I'd love the mods here to open a sub-forum for Drink prices and open a thread for each county and one for each postal district in dublin.

We'd all then try to find the cheapest pubs in our area and post into the threads.

Stop fighting lads and lets do something positive :D

FinoBlad wrote:
    I'd love the mods here to open a sub-forum for Drink prices and open a thread for each county and one for each postal district in dublin.

We'd all then try to find the cheapest pubs in our area and post into the threads.

Stop fighting lads and lets do something positive :D

Done already - http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com/

• Advertisement

rondjon wrote:

Done yes, but done badly and never updated.
    No entries for dublin in 2005 so totally useless.

FinoBlad wrote:
    Done yes, but done badly and never updated.
    No entries for dublin in 2005 so totally useless.

So now you've discovered the inherent problem with your suggestion. Any thoughts on how to get around that (and the basic fact that people don't care enough about how much they're paying)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It just won't work because of poor publicity and because a lot of people simply won't care. Though having said that, after Eddie's show on Monday people might finally be more aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Why all the drama of a 'one day boycott'? If you don't believe that the pub experience offers good value for money, then stop going, or go to the pub less frequently. The market will dictate the response from the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gobdaw

RainyDay wrote:
    Why all the drama of a 'one day boycott'? If you don't believe that the pub experience offers good value for money, then stop going, or go to the pub less frequently. The market will dictate the response from the pubs.

I agree.
    When was the last time you said "Lets go to Soandso - the pint is €3". More likely the decision is made on the fact that you will know a lot of the other customers, good sport on the large screen, plenty of talent, convienent. Any reason except the price of the booze. Look around, plenty of pubs are offering cheaper drink! But are they getting a response?
    If we are really concerned about rip-off pubs, is this not a better way to go, that a single day boycott?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Heh. I'll be working in my local pub, and I'd say it'll be as quite as usual, with a full nightclub, tbh.

RainyDay wrote:

Missing the point, RainyDay.

It's a "statement" I reckon, more than anything else.

As consumers, we're taking everything lying down in the alleged "rip off Ireland". Because of this, unscrupulous businesses can get away with their shoddy practices.

(No implication that pubs are unscrupulous!!!).

rondjon wrote:
    So now you've discovered the inherent problem with your suggestion. Any thoughts on how to get around that (and the basic fact that people don't care enough about how much they're paying)?

At least boards has the traffic.

What are you doing about it mr doom and gloom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bah,

Changed my mind.

Going to go to the pub after all. A few pints will be most welcome after doing a live 3 hour radio show... plus the guy I'm interviewing on the show is gigging that night in the Spirit Store here in Dundalk along with a couple of other good rock bands so I'll be there - knocking back their fine fine stout. :)

• Advertisement

Bard wrote:
    Bah,

Changed my mind.

Going to go to the pub after all. A few pints will be most welcome after doing a live 3 hour radio show... plus the guy I'm interviewing on the show is gigging that night in the Spirit Store here in Dundalk along with a couple of other good rock bands so I'll be there - knocking back their fine fine stout. :)

And we care because?????

Advertisement