Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Guitar Lessons

Options
  • 16-08-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am looking to get lessons in Classical guitar and hopfully to take the grade examinations. I have taught myself how to play guitar and to read music but I would like to get formal classical guitar lessons. Does anyone know of someone giving private lessons or even a school that does them? I have looked at the Waltons website and it all seems to be geared at school kids or beginners.

I work 9-6 so the lessons would have to be in the evening for 1/2 an hour to an hour in Dublin City Centre, but I do not mind cycling a little further (eg Rathmines etc) if I have to.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Moojuice wrote:
    I would like to get formal classical guitar lessons. Does anyone know of someone giving private lessons or even a school that does them?
    Same boat here. I'd love to get proper training in that kinda style, so let me know how you get on, i'm also looking (and have been looking) for a while.
    I have taught myself how to play guitar and to read music
    Do you mean sheet music? As in piano style music? If you're capable of playing from sheet music then you are definately well ahead of the beginners classes, you'd be looking at intermediate at least (depending on ability). I can read and play sheet music, but incredibly slowly unless i'm on a keyboard or piano :P

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I can read sheet music slowly and nothing too complex. However I need to relate that to my guitar playing (if you know what I mean) I taught myself the two seperate from each other. I just want to get lessons and have some formal training (for once). I am always jealous of the classical buskers on Grafton Street. Ill keep you informed of how I get on. Hopefully I can find a teacher who will give group lessons or something.

I understand scales and keys (and modes to a certain extent) and can play them relatively well. I just eel I should be better for the amount of time that I have been playing.

I applied to Walton School of music for the first term. Have not heard if I have got in or not. But from what I vae been told, its a good school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i know a teacher - excellent performer.
    will get back to you by the end of today when i check availability

Thnaks but I got in to Waltons so Ill see how it goes.

thanks Catho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 meathguy

Try a site called http://www.learnmusic.info
    it's an arts council resource for finding music teachers
    good luck!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublang

I am also looking for classical guitar lessons. Isit possible to get a small group togeter to share costs?

Caoimhin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i used to go to this guy and i can reccomend him

Name: Brian Farrell
    Address: 4 Luttrellstown Park, Castleknock, Dublin 15
    Telephone: 01 8216620
    Fax: 01 8216620
    Email: farrellb@indigo.ie

I am getting private lessons in Waltons. There is a group option and it is cheaper but the deadline for applications was weeks ago. If you had posted sooner we could have worked something out, sorry Caoimhin.

Thanks for the recommendation Gileadi. But maybe keep his details to yourself until some one PM's you with interest, You never know who could get hold of them for dubious purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moroneyk

Guitar lessons available from an experienced tutor in Dublin City Centre. All styles and levels catered for, fingerstyle folk to death metal. Whether you want to play classical or are a wannabe Satriani give me a buzz on 086-8616269.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I'm not sure if he's still there but I took lassons a few years ago with Alan Grundy, above Musician Inc in town, he's an amazing player and teacher. Think it was call the Dublin school of guitar..

Fusion
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Im classicaly trained in classical and spanish guitar.
    It makes no difference if you can figure out a few crotchets on a sheet.
    You will not be jumping ahead.
    Start at beginners level.... aim for your initial grade and work from there.
    It may take about 6-7 years to get what your looking for.

There is a guy in whitehall i highly recomend. Im trying to get in touch with him to get my finals. When i get his details i'll pass them on.

In my experience.... nothing good can come from waltons.
    All your left with is an empty wallet!!
    But a good classical tutor will cost you a small fortune. You may not see 30-35 quid go on an hour lesson, But you'll be happy with the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Enter

i didnt bother to read all the posts sorry lol
    personally im trying to ler to play guitar so later i can buy an electric one
    btw strange i dont have a dream of becoming famous tas odd isnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

im not even gonna dignify that with a response...... irony noted!

Thanks st3vo. I find the guy I go to in Waltons to be pretty good. I could only afford half hour lessons but so far so good. I am learning a lot. Maybe you had a bad experience at Waltons. To be honest I always wanted to be able tp play classical guitar and I need to unlearn a few bad habits I picked up over the years from being self taught. PM me the details of that Whitehall guy as learning classical guitar is an on going thing and its always good to have the details of a really good tutor.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 doniemac

Hi, I am a qualified/experienced teacher in Classical Guitar if any of you are still looking. Promo video link below. You can PM me for details...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEpOQy45d1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYBguZGyq8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bellg124

The Dublin School of Guitar is a great school for learning Classical guitar. Mark Collins was my teacher there for years and is an excellent teacher and player. http://www.thedublinschoolofguitar.com/ Best of luck with your playing,

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

I know of a good classical guitarist available to teach classical or acoustic guitar. PM me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Second vote for Alan grundy and the dublin school of guitar - they're based just off the south circular road now near the intersection with camden street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lola1234

hi

ive been paying 20 per half hour for classical guitar lessons. My tutor is very good...although I find far too much time is spent "catching up" each week as opposed to getting straight into it.

Anyway, heading for grade 3 this year, just wondering if i am paying too much or is this standard for a god classical tutor...just finding it very expensive under the crunch:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 doniemac

I charge the same. It's the going rate. The difference in price really comes down to how you get on with the teacher and how well they can improve your playing, although you will probably pay the same. Some charge less, but are invariably not qualified etc...
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lola1234

cheers thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

doniemac wrote: »
    I charge the same. It's the going rate. The difference in price really comes down to how you get on with the teacher and how well they can improve your playing, although you will probably pay the same. Some charge less, but are invariably not qualified etc...
    Best of luck
    Me too. I charge a fiver extra for house calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just a question in relation to classical guitar lessons. I've been playing guitar for a number of years, off and on(mostly off). The usual rock n roll stuff. But I want lessons with a structure, definite grades so I can see improvement. Does classical guitar work that way, is there a definite structure? If so what is that structure?
    Cheers

tunguska wrote: »
    Just a question in relation to classical guitar lessons. I've been playing guitar for a number of years, off and on(mostly off). The usual rock n roll stuff. But I want lessons with a structure, definite grades so I can see improvement. Does classical guitar work that way, is there a definite structure? If so what is that structure?
    Cheers
    Yes, if you prepare for the grades you'll need to gradually improve your technique to be able to play progressively more advanced pieces, and you'll also learn scales, arpeggios and musical theory as you go on. You also will develop your ear (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, if you prepare for the grades you'll need to gradually improve your technique to be able to play progressively more advanced pieces, and you'll also learn scales, arpeggios and musical theory as you go on. You also will develop your ear (hopefully).

Do you give classical guitar lessons yourself tomasrojo?

tunguska wrote: »
    Do you give classical guitar lessons yourself tomasrojo?
    I do!

Details here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66839114&postcount=190

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lola1234 wrote: »
    hi

ive been paying 20 per half hour for classical guitar lessons. My tutor is very good...although I find far too much time is spent "catching up" each week as opposed to getting straight into it.

Anyway, heading for grade 3 this year, just wondering if i am paying too much or is this standard for a god classical tutor...just finding it very expensive under the crunch:)
    You're not paying too much if your tutor is qualified and experienced.€40ph is reasonable professional rate for a professional service. If you're making progress and are happy with the lessons, stay at it. And be happy you didn't end up with one of the gumtree brigade of chancers who charge a tenner an hour and are only a couple of pages ahead if you in the book. There's a reason the guitar is the most given up instrument in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Hi there
    I teach a bit as well especially for beginners to intermediate - I have the RIAM Grade 8 exam with Hons -
    examples of my playing
    on

http://www.youtube.com/nicholasherbert1

I am in Mullingar area Westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone know of a teacher in the Ennis/Clare or at a push Limerick areas?
    Have experience in acoustic guitar but would like a bit of structure.

Advertisement