Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone like a low-cap BB service?

• 16-08-2005 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I noticed that I only use 2 gigs max per month on my 2 Mbps connection. This despite the fact that there are 3 pcs in my family and I often work from home (some vnc but mostly client apps tunneling their data through ssh). I don't play games online and none of us use P2P regularly. I do like to have a fast connection with low latency and I'd trade a lower cap for a service with better contention ratio or less shared users with 'heavy flow'.

Would anyone agree with me or are you all serial downloaders/uploaders?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I likes my downloads, but I'd agree that there is a market for a low cost, low cap, always on connection though. It'd be far more use to the average home user than any stupid "timed" type broadband. I'd say most people around here are also large downloaders, you'd seem to be in the minority Zaph0d, but probably in the majority for broadband users in general.

Unfortunately, Eircom are fully aware that the amount downloaded costs them feck all so there is no cost incentive to them to offer a cheap low cap product. Why offer a 2G cap for €10 a month when they can charge €40 a month for 8G without that extra download costing them anything (or not much compared to the extra €30 they get from you).

It's likely that they're also fully aware that the majority of users don't use much of their limit and so would stand to loose a lot of revenue if they had a cheap alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Speaking honestly I appear to be hitting the 30GBytes mark for the past couple of months on my 2Mb BT connection with an official CAP of 24GBytes.

I have no doubt in my mind that the average BB users barely download 2-5GBytes a month as I have a couple of PC's connected to this connectionan and the others connected only get around 3GByte of general surfing done a month.

What I would support would be a "hard CAPped" 1Mbit/s service to replace eircom/UTV "Time" where exceeding lets say 1GB download CAP results in your connection dropping to 100Kbit/s or so.

Logically though as jor el has said a download CAP of 5GB or 50GB means very little extra cost to the ISP as its only a couple of cents a GByte anyway......and thats only if its used!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I have to agree with jor el, It would be a much better alternative to the BB time offers. Your average joe mainly uses the internet for browsing & could have an always on connection & probobly never go anyway near the cap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

suppose that would make me your average joe :D

Advertisement