Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import Problem - UK Motor Tax

Options
  • 16-08-2005 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello :confused:

I'm importing a CLK from a UK Mercedes dealer. Saving about €8k I think so all is well. I've read the various posts elsewhere but I have one unanswered question.

The dealer is telling me that the car currently isn't taxed and that they need a UK address to tax it for me. I know I can reclaim the motor tax once I get home but I just wanted to check whether this is correct and if anyone has had a similar experience. I have friends in the UK whose address I can use, but I don't want to get into that if I can avoid it.

Also is there any need to get the Certificate of Permanent Export from the DVLA in the UK as it seems that the V5 document I will get when I buy the car from the garage will suffice when it comes to registering the car here.

Thanks

Jove

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Why bother taxing it if you are only going to take it out of the country straight away.

When buying the car you take the log book with you, when you go to the tax office here they will take the UK paper work and send it back to the UK. If they were selling the car to an english customer then the garage would fill out the paper work and send it to the DVLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jove

My sentiments exactly, but the dealer reckons it's one of the steps she has to go through. She reckons I need to have the car taxed before I can drive off the lot. I know if I was buying a car here I'd chance it as it's only 4 hours driving to the ferry and then I tax it immediately when I get home.

Am I right in saying that when the dealer gives me the log book they don't have to communicate with the DVLA at all that I have purchased the car? Or is there a part of the V5 which they detach to say the car is being exported.

I'm going to have to walk the garage through this as they haven't done this before, so anything further would be a great help

Cheers

Jove

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To the best of my knowledge, the dealer is required by law in the UK to ensure the car is taxed before being driven onto a public road. They're very stick about road tax over there. It may be possible for the garage to tax it in their name before selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Don't ask the Dealer to tax it in their name, it will add another owner to the vehicle which will reduce its resale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Seems like bollocks, I've imported loads from the UK and have never had that problem before. And anyway even if the dealer is correct and doesnt want it driven off the forecourt then then just get it towed from the forecourt to the docks.

Ebay has a load of these tow guys that charge something like 30p per mile, mainly classic cars but they'll take pretty much anything. Has to be cheaper than paying worthless UK road tax...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

jove wrote:
    Hello :confused:

I'm importing a CLK from a UK Mercedes dealer. Saving about €8k I think so all is well. I've read the various posts elsewhere but I have one unanswered question.

The dealer is telling me that the car currently isn't taxed and that they need a UK address to tax it for me. I know I can reclaim the motor tax once I get home but I just wanted to check whether this is correct and if anyone has had a similar experience. I have friends in the UK whose address I can use, but I don't want to get into that if I can avoid it.

Also is there any need to get the Certificate of Permanent Export from the DVLA in the UK as it seems that the V5 document I will get when I buy the car from the garage will suffice when it comes to registering the car here.

Thanks

Jove

Afaik the dealer should just fill in the 'exportation' forms, therefore the vehicle won't need taxing.

Ring a dealer in NI, I'm sure they're used to dealing with the situation...

In addition: if you tax it in the UK, you'll loose the equiv of the first month whilst/before claiming it back as they only refund complete months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Keep in mind if you figure on risking the drive to the ferry port that the cops frequently operate checkpoints on your way onto a ferry. And as has been stated already, the UK is very strict on road tax.

Dermot

Advertisement