Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vpn

Options
  • 16-08-2005 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a nokia 6680 and was on the website today and downloaded the VPN software for it. How do you setup an VPN? What I want to be able to do is access my pc at home from athlone while I am in college. Is this expensive to do? what is the cheapest way to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You would need a VPN gateway at home, and preferably a static IP address. I think there are open source solutions available for this, but it strikes me as serious overkill for home use. People usually use VPNs in the other direction anyway - for working from home, or to link two sites using the internet instead of expensive wan links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What I want to be able to use it for is so that when my bothers fcuk up the pc rather than go home that I will be able to fix it from athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

VPN is not the same as remote desktop/vnc etc. These would be much more suitable solutions. Just install VNC or use remote desktop if the home PC has XP Pro. Get the IP address off the brothers and use some other PC to connect to it. If they're behind a nat router, ports will have to be forwarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Nope no router in this situation. Only a network switch. Can I use VPN to access files the way I'm talking about or will I better off using remote desktop/vnc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Use VNC ... setting up a VPN is a pain in the ass and VNC works out of the box ... UltraVNc has finally released a 1.0.0 version (after 20 or so release candidates) and it is very reliable, it also has file transfer built in...

I use it for fixing (and once breaking) my parents, my sisters and a brothers pc

(Obviously changing default password to something secure and forwarding 5800 and/or 5900)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

RAdmin is another good one!

Advertisement