Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossover problems - 2 pc's

Options
  • 16-08-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have 2 windows XP professional machines.
    1 a laptop and the other a desktop
    I have assigned IPs of 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11
    I have pinged each from the other sucessfully.
    On one machine I can view the other using \\192.168.1.10 and I can see the shared folders. BUT the problem is I cannot do the same using the other machine even though I have shared a folder.

I have turned off windows firewall and have no 3rd party firewall on them.

What could the problem be?

I also cannot play a game of warcraft using both machines as it cannot be seen.

Any ideas/help?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

try tools , folder options, view , and untick use simple file sharing

then , go to the properties of a folder somewhere and share it making sure the permissions have read write access

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

What antivirus programs do you have installed.. I wonce had a similar problem and updated the Norton on one machine and that fixed it

Also are they both running SP2..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

sniipe, did you make the crossover cable yourself?
    Is it perfect, in terms of crimp strength?
    Are you using SP2 on both machines?

Mabye try booting up a linux/etc liveCD and see if it works through that. This will at least eliminate some possibilities. ie- if it works, you most likely have a physical hardware fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

formatman wrote:
    try tools , folder options, view , and untick use simple file sharing

then , go to the properties of a folder somewhere and share it making sure the permissions have read write access
    I have simple file sharing off and am using AVG anti-virus.
    I have SP2 on both machines
    I installed microsoft tcp/ip version 6, client service for netware and NWLink IPX/SPX... and it worked! No idea why.
    I'm was able to view both machines shared files which is good, but I'm not totally convinced they are communicating properly as I installed a game on both and was unable to view the created game on the other. I'll try a bit more and let ye know how I get on.

Hey Fuzzy, how are u getting on? Still have that fuzzy machine that no doubt will go on fire? When you said to try boot linux what do you mean? Do you mean network boot? Surely there is a better way to make sure the cable is working correctly (software wise). I didn't make the cable, but it was crimped for me.

Thanks for your input so far guys.

Sniipe, yeah I have that furry machine. Its even overclocked 500mhz and it hasnt burned down yet.

Ahh, because it worked when you installed IPX, this conifines your issue to a software problem. Theres no need to boot a livecd now. Try uninstalling your cards and your TCP/IP protocols and starting them again. Sounds like an odd problem, but I remember having something similar happen to me when I first networked my machines years ago. A 4 port hub sorted my problem, IIRC.

• Advertisement

thing is I used a switch (using cross-over cables) and it still didn't sort the problem. Good to see u heading to DS

Sniipe, I'd be inclined to think you have a cable proble, then. Mabye some sort of loose connection?
    Need a lift to d0rkside btw if youre going ;)

I'll be in Dublin anyway, I work up here.

Sooo sorry, the problem was that the onboard gigabit lan had its own software with a firewall built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

- Nevermind, you solved it -

• Advertisement
Advertisement