Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem!

Options
  • 16-08-2005 4:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

My shotgun is paid for and sitting in the local gunshop as my licence application was pending.My licence has since come through but in the last few days i've heard that the owner has commited suicide and the premises are shut up.I've since heard that the contents have been seized by revenue commisioners.My gun i spaid for in full and i havethe receipt but how should i approach getting it out?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

At a guess the gun is your property and nobody has anyright to touch it. Hard to know who to talk to. Stick with the line of it being your gun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Have you actually gone to the premises to comfirm what you have heard? Not sure on the law but my understanding is that you have entered into a contract with this gun dealer and you have fulfilled your obligations on your side of the contract i.e you have purchased in full, so in fact, you own the firearm pending the granting of a licence.

You are now holding a valid receipt and a current licence for that firearm and your property is now apparently elsewhere. If it were me I would approach the people who are holding my property (with my licence & receipt) and ask for my property back.

Try looking up the "Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980" (type into your Google search engine) see if that helps. If you encounter problems when trying to retrieve your property my advice is to consult with a solicitor.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Contact the revenue commisioners and explain that they are holding your property.Produce your sales slip and licence.. I'm sure that will sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Someone with more legal knowledge than me needs to answer this, at what point does the property transfer to the buyer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

When its paid for in most cases, but if you pay more then 1/3rd of an item u have a significant claim to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The gun is paid for in full.I went up to the premises last week which is part of the bloke's house and i basicly walked in on his wake!I asked the son what the story was and he said he was trying to "get it sorted out" and` it would be a few weeks at least.Obviously i didnt want to stand there discussing it in too much detail so i didnt mention what i'd heard about the revenue commisioners..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I managed to pick the gun up yesterday,they seemed to be getting rid of all the stock and its a good job i'd paid cash for it as they werent allowed to trade untill the licence issue was sorted out,which might not happen.Its unlikeley that this exact scenario will occur again but there seems to be a grey area in the law,as my local sergeant said "there's nothing written down about this sort of thing".

Advertisement