Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hargadons in Sligo being demolished

Options
  • 16-08-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I heard yesterday that hargadon's pubin Sligo is being demolished to make way for the new shopping centre in the centre of town.

For those of you who don't know it, it's 200 years old and contains the usual nooks, and snugs that traditional pubs used to have. There are very few pubs like it left today. It used to be a listed building but now it's not.

I dont know when it was delisted but I'm very shocked that it could be. There is outrage amongst regulars but little else seems to be done about it.

Any thoughts?

GG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I haven't been in there in about five years but I would hate to think of it being demolished for some shopping centre. Easily the most laid back pub I was ever in. Like stepping back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

I've heard nothing about this, but I think it hardly likely.

Do you have a link or more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I don't know abou that.. sounds like a rumour! It's a lovely pub though. I used to play trad sessions in there earlier in the year and I always enjoyed the atmosphere, esp. Paddy's day!!

It would be a very negative sign of the times if it was demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn't hear anything... so i'm marking it down as rumours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

According to this week's Champion, there are no worries:
    [font=Verdana, Arial]Urgent moves are under way to ensure the preservation of one of Sligo's oldest pubs, Hargadon's, in O'Connell Street.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Sligo Borough Council has today issued public notice of its intention to add the premises to the record of protected structures in the City and Environs Development Plan.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]The move comes in the wake of speculation that the interior of the pub might be redeveloped.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]The elected members of Sligo Borough Council voted to include the building in the list of protected structures in the 2003 draft development plan but it was inadvertently omitted in the published plan.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Last week, former Mayor, Clr. Declan Bree, contacted County Manager, Mr Hubert Kearins, outlining the need to take immediate action to protect the Hargadon's building.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]The Manager undertook to examine the matter and this week the Borough Council issued a public notice confirming its intention to add the Hargadon's property to the list of protected structures.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Written submissions or observations in respect of the proposal to add the building to the list can be submitted to the Borough Council before September 29th.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]The submissions will be considered by the elected members of the Borough Council before a final decision is taken in relation to the inclusion of the building on the record of protected structures.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]The Hargadon's property was built around the 1850s and most of the original interior structure is still in place. There has been a public house on the premises since 1868 and the existing pub front was built in 1890.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Hargadon's is known throughout the country for its unique style and is a popular attraction for visitors from all over the world.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]"Hargadon's is a unique part of Sligo's architectural, historical and cultural heritage and it is vital that the necessary steps are taken to ensure its protection", said Clr. Bree.
    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial]
    Leo Gray
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial]
    [/font]

• Advertisement

Yeah, just read that in the online edition of the champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Not a rumour after all then, there's a fairly strong minded group of people who highlighted that "it was inadvertently omitted in the published plan". A clerical oversight :rolleyes: would have allowed the new owners do whatever they liked with the interior.

It still not guaranteed that the whole building will be protected as this hasn't been specified by the County Planner. It may still only be the outside of the building or the front bar. It looks like the beer garden will definitely form part of the new shopping centre and possibly some of the existing bar.

Given it's stature and history it's unlikely the whole bar will be remodeled as long as people make their submissions and let their local councillors know how they feel about it. http://tinyurl.com/avvqo

Good news
    SLIGO'S two local authorities, the County Council and the Borough Council, have agreed to add one of the oldest pubs in Sligo Town, Hargadon Bros., in O'Connell Street, to the Record of Protected Structures 2005-2011.

http://www.unison.ie/sligo_champion/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1503025&issue_id=13243

(requires free registration)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

sad2 see it go but thats progress sadly:( :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

roykeane16 wrote:
    sad2 see it go but thats progress sadly:( :(

Its not going anywhere, it says so in the quotes from the Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jack Webb

Knocking down a 200 year old pub. Well I tell you, nothing seems sacred anymore. Here in my town a new hotel is going up and a few of the environmentally sensative are up in arms about what to do with an little, old Victorian house on the beach.

This place was used in the filming of "Top Gun" when Tom Cruise zooms up from San Diego on his motorcycle and pulls up to Kelly McGuinesses house and they make an acquaintance.

First they were going to destroy the house but now someone is paying to have it moved. I believe this is going a bit wild. For cryin out loud the place was only used for a movie! If they wanted to make an argument for it being of Victorian architecture that might be valid but as a movie prop? Not in my book.

Redevelopment is everywhere. Some of it is good, some is not.

By the way, I'm brand new here. I lived in Mohill, County Leitrim for a few years helping out at the Marian College. I've been back living here in Oceanside, California since Summer of 1990. Pleased to join this forum. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Welcome to the virtual NW of Ireland.....

I guess a Victorian House in California would be unusual though..... I agree, there must be thousands of houses in LA, San Diego area used for movies in the past so preserving it on that basis would be a bit odd.

When I was in in California (1994) it struck me as odd how people regarded relatively new buildings as worth travelling to see. Brings to mind a movie where Steve Matins is driving down West LA and proclaims that "some of the houses here are 25 years old" with amazement on his face. Hilarious, anyone know the name of the movie?

So, I just had a few visitors from Sligo over, they told me Hardagon's is closed, is this true and if yes is it to be demolished, i thought it had been decided not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's been shut for ages. At least six months. Maybe more. Think people tried to get it re-listed. Don't know whats happening with it now. It'd be typical of Sligo borough council to destroy another bit of the towns history though. Harper Campbell Warehouse partially demolished, Greenfort has houses right up to it and the gaol is a council yard.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JuanPaulo

Unfortunately this is been going on for quite some time, just before the bar closed some of the regulars went to the corporation to check if the pub was on the list (as it had been originaly!) to be told it wasn't!. For some unknown reason (YEAH) it had been delisted just as the planning had been granted for johnsons court!? the lads then went to various councillors and demanded the "clerical error" be reversed. this is now in process. So for all those who cooked beside the old pot bellied stove on a wet winters evening. or burned off a shopping trip on a saturday afternoon to sit in the snug babysitting pints of the black stuff I think Hargadon Bros should have its doors reopened shortly. the back bar i think is history tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

well when it comes to money I would bet the current owner wont put to much of a fight up to save the building. Also keep in mind he also owns / owned a considerable share of the old units in Johnstons court.
    The last lease on that place made it the best pub in town, it was good to see mousey back for a spell. hopefully the front will be saved and it goes for lease again (I think the word "lease" is the only thing that can save the pub)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

bennyc wrote:
    well when it comes to money I would bet the current owner wont put to much of a fight up to save the building. Also keep in mind he also owns / owned a considerable share of the old units in Johnstons court.
    The last lease on that place made it the best pub in town, it was good to see mousey back for a spell. hopefully the front will be saved and it goes for lease again (I think the word "lease" is the only thing that can save the pub)

I am not usually one of these people how gets overly protective over our built environment, howeve,r the loss of Hargadons pub would be a loss that would be rued for generations to come imo

Advertisement