Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book scanning device

Options
  • 16-08-2005 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

dunno is this is the right place for this.

i want to scan some books of mine.

i want to build a device to scan books automitically, ie turn the pages automitically so i just have to slot in the book and it scans itself.

has anyone come across a similar project?

i see three main element involved:
    turning device
    scanning device
    s/w

these can be as complicated as i like to make it, ie

turning device:
    for testing this can be my hands :)
    i was thinking of some kind of robotic arm with a suction cup to crab and turn a page.

scanning device:
    was thinking of using a webcam or camera as this can be mounted over the book and leaves room for the arm to turn the page

sw:
    i could initially store the images as just plain images, that which is obtained from the camera/webcam.
    the next step would be to clean up the images, cutting off the non-page parts etc.
    the final goal could be to ocr the page, pulling out the images and doing the whole thing up in html which i can read on my phone.

my main goal is to be able to read the books i have on my phone/pc.

(and no, i don't want to chop the spines off my books and put them through a sheets scanner)

any suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You know the way you flick pages to see the little drawings dance ?

Well how about putting a book in a holder and bend the pages and then as an arm or wheel moves the pages flick back, though you'd need a fast camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

why bother keeping the books in tact! :)

slice up the pages and lash it into a scanner with an autofeeder.

here's a guy who's done it, book intact method.
    http://www.zygo-usa.com/blv6opct.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

You know the way you flick pages to see the little drawings dance ?

Well how about putting a book in a holder and bend the pages and then as an arm or wheel moves the pages flick back, though you'd need a fast camera.

hmm, sounds interesting.

but prob wouldn't work for several reasons, requirs very fast camera, image distorted due to bending of page etc.
    EL_Loco wrote:
    why bother keeping the books in tact!

slice up the pages and lash it into a scanner with an autofeeder.

again, another interesing idea :) but i may want to borrow books to scan
    EL_Loco wrote:
    here's a guy who's done it, book intact method.
    http://www.zygo-usa.com/blv6opct.htm

that would appear to be designed for a disabled user to turn a page, usually slowely. dunno if that would be usefull.

this article was one of the first things i found when searching.
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-12-29-bookscan_x.htm

i basically want to do my own "cheap" version of this. obviously slower etc.

what i would like to find is a project where someone has done this. i can't seem to find any.

anyone know good sites for hardware modding/construction projects which may contain such a project?

cheers beers

Advertisement