Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foods

Options
  • 16-08-2005 7:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok my sis is here poking me to write stuff she likes in her vast vegetarian experience,so here goes,a collaberation!

for particulars on why you should eat each food look to the other thread.

Brown Rice:Wash disgard loose hullsbring to boil in 1 1/2-2 cups of water to 1 cup rice
    and simmer for 35-45 mins.Marigold vegetable bouillon can be added to the
    cooking water for extra flavour.Serve with stir fried vegetables and soy-sauce sprinkled with
    toasted cashews or sesame seeds,or make a risotto with fried mushrooms,onions,
    garlic and oven roasted vegetables.Health stores offer a variety of rices,rice flakes and flour.

Millet:High in protein and iron:it's low acidity makes it easy to digest.Wash strain and
    dry roast 15 mins in oven or stirring in heavy-based pan till slightly nutty.Add 2 1/2-3 cups
    boiling water to one cup grain.Simmer for approx 15mins;remove from heat and leave to
    stand,covered,for 5 mins.Cooked grain will be light and dry.Could be served with things such
    as celery and cucumber in a mint flavoured sauce or made into croquettes.ya can also add
    it to soups and casseroles.Millet flakes make a nutritious porridge and are often used
    as a baby cereal.

Quinoa:Grain with a good balance of amino acids.Can be roasted as millet then simmered in 2 cups water to 12 cup grain
    2 cups of water to 1 cup of grain for around 15 mins ,or cooked in water without roasting.

Pulses,Beans and Lentils:tbh a Nutritionists dream.low in fat,high in protein,minerals(espec. Iron) and fibre.
    If ya fid them to bland,herbs and spices can enliven things :).As wrll as a basis for main meals
    and salads they are easily made into spreads and dips etc which are very nutritious.Hmm the best known pate
    i suppose would be hummus based on chick peas and tahini...mmm calcium :P

Red Lentils: cook for approx. 30mins.basically make vegetable soup,the thicker and peppery
    the better!.If there is some left over it can be used with oven-roasted vegetables as a dhal-like
    sauce.

Puy Lentils:cook 15 mins,hold their shape better than the other lentils.seasoned with
    lemon juice and ground black pepper.

Beans,Chick Peas:although you can get them in tins a 500g pack gives 5 times the vol.
    of a tin.Soak overnight and do not add salt till cooking is complete to avoid crappy tough beans.
    Adding a strip of Kombu seaweed both decreases cooking time and increases digestibility.
    Cooked beans can be frozen and used as necessary.Cooking times vary with the variety and are found in good cookery books.

Nuts and Seeds:Can be dry-or oven-roasted to complement the nutrition and texture of
    vegetarian meals.You should put them in a heavy-based pan over moderate heat for a few mins,shaking pan constantly and watching carefully that
    they don't start to burn..Put in a little bit of soy or tamari sauce and remove the pan immediately from the heat whilst stirring.
    delicious snack ho!

Sprouted Seeds And Pulses:These are excellent for being a source of protein,vitamins and
    live enzymes.If Home-sprouted these make the freshest possible food!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

millet = ?!

saz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you ought to know dear ;)

http://chetday.com/millet.html

thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Beans,Chick Peas:although you can get them in tins a 500g pack gives 5 times the vol.
    of a tin.Soak overnight and do not add salt till cooking is complete to avoid crappy tough beans.
    Adding a strip of Kombu seaweed both decreases cooking time and increases digestibility.
    Cooked beans can be frozen and used as necessary.Cooking times vary with the variety and are found in good cookery books.

Does anyone know of places that sell Kombu (kelp?) in Dublin?

Thanks! :)

Any healthfood shop sells Kombu.

Good post Sister of Tar :)

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »

Maybe I need a better definition of 'healthfood' shop :) Was at Holland & Barrett's today in Donaghmede and they didn't have any. Granted, they're smaller than the one in Clare Hall so maybe I just need to try another outlet.

Or if you've got any examples of stores in town or around Dublin 3/5/13 that carry it that would be greatly appreciated :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moonbaby wrote: »

Hey, it was mostly me!

:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I don't like Holland & Barrett so much, they seem overpriced and a bit 'meh' in general. Suppose they are ok for some stuff.

You might have to go into the city centre casper, you should definitely get it in one of the places around Georges/Wicklow/Grafton St. (although some of those are quite overpriced too..)
    Sorry not sure about the northside..

Peanut wrote: »
    I don't like Holland & Barrett so much, they seem overpriced and a bit 'meh' in general. Suppose they are ok for some stuff.

You might have to go into the city centre casper, you should definitely get it in one of the places around Georges/Wicklow/Grafton St. (although some of those are quite overpriced too..)
    Sorry not sure about the northside..

Hi Peanut

I have no problem heading into the city centre - will take a walk tomorrow morning around the area you mentioned and see what I can find :) Thanks for the suggestion. Really looking forward to trying my hand at making dashi/miso soup.

Nourish is one shop you may want to visit.
    http://www.nourish.ie/?ncat=22 for store locations.

• Advertisement

Nourish is one shop you may want to visit.
    http://www.nourish.ie/?ncat=22 for store locations.

Perfect, those are extremely easy to get to. Thanks :)

I'm loving the frezzing beans idea :)

Has anyone tried the jar type sprouters?
    I travel around alot during the week, and the tier system while great for giving yourself a continous supply.Isn't very portable.
    I wonder if the jar allows enough space for all of the seeds to sprout?

Advertisement