Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dragon Flies

• 16-08-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed these in South Dublin recently? They're massive insects with 4 wings and seem to eat other flies on the wing. Very impressive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I know the swift population make a dash for southern europe on the way to cape earlier than other migratory birds..has anybody noticed them moving this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

dathi1 wrote:
    I know the swift population make a dash for southern europe on the way to cape earlier than other migratory birds..has anybody noticed them moving this week?

I'm still seeing a lot of swifts over Dublin at the moment. It seems that they are leaving later every year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

dathi1 wrote:
    Has anybody noticed these in South Dublin recently? They're massive insects with 4 wings and seem to eat other flies on the wing.
    I seen one (or like it). It was months ago though and in east Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Go fishing on the river suck in roscommon every week and there's loads of them down there.they are nasty lookin yokes.One flew into the rod last time out.Wanna hear the thump off it.They'territorial and eat anything that comes near them.One of our biggest insects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

They're amazing looking! I've heard that they are a good marker of a healthy eco-system.

One time one of the mad electric blue ones flew near my mate Katie in Limerick city. She didn't know what it was and went running off down the street screaming "eek! a robot!". No lie. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement