Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to Newcastle?

• 16-08-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Just reading the gossip on the bbc site. it says
    BBC Site wrote:
    Tottenham are ready to offer £5m plus striker Robbie Keane for Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas.

what do you think? i originally heard they were going to swap kanoute for jenas but the Keane rumou has been going for a day or two. do you think keane would get a regular first team place? would he be better staying at spurs? i think the key is regular football. According to that site also
    bbc wrote:
    Spurs are also making moves to recruit £10m-rated, Holland striker Dirk Kuit from Feyendoord.

so it would probably be in his best interest to move. thats my opinion anyway. watcha think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Don't think Souness would let Jenas go for Keane plus 5 million. I think
    a) Souness doesn't seem too interested in Keane, a lot of people seem to think that he isn't the type of striker he wants.
    b) Freddy Sheperd will back Souness to get the striker he wants (Well, within reason) so I don't think 5 million would mean a whole lot when he would be losing a midfielder who he values much higher than that.

I don't see why Jol wants to get rid of Keane, I think he is much more proven than Mido and Kanoutè.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shame O Leary didn't try to bring him to Villa, would have been good for both player and club. He's been in superb form during pre-season, but he doesn't seem to be Jol's first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Souness is quoted as saying "..no I dont want that kind of striker.." in regard to Robbie Keane. A bit of a kick in the teeth, worse if he decides to go ahead with the deal and buy him.

Robbie's style doesnt seem to be very popular with many mangers

jubbly wrote:
    What, putting the ball in the back of the net? :) As far as I'm concerned, that's what you get with Keane.

I know what you mean though, I heard the quote as well, I just think it's bizarre. Newcastle need a goalscorer...Robbie Keane scores goals. And as mentioned above, he was on fire in pre-season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The problem with robbie keane is that he is too good of a footballer for the posistion, and I know thats doesn't sound like it makes sense but it does.
    managers today prefer strikers who are strong and good in the air or else players who use pace to get off the shoulder of the last defender (drogba, van nist or henry, defoe) where as robbie is far more likely to take the ball froom deep and try play his way to goal. great to watch and undoubtably talented but not suited to most teams style of play.

I belive he would benifit from a move to spain where he would have far more chances to use his true talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't see why Jol wants to get rid of Keane, I think he is much more proven than Mido and Kanoutè.

Because:

(a) he can't play with Jermaine Defoe, and
    (b) He's an infuriating little sh*te with superb skill but no awareness of his team mates position on the pitch.

Mido is a much better foil for Defoe.

Newcastle are desperate to get a striker in before the transfer window closes, don't be surprised to see this story run and run until then. Personally, I think Spurs should play hardball with Sourness, he's the one who needs spare cash, and we can survive without Jenas.

This might be drifting off-topic a little, but is Mido actually a Spurs player now? I thought he was signed on loan.

This might be drifting off-topic a little, but is Mido actually a Spurs player now? I thought he was signed on loan.

18 month loan, there's been no sign of a contract yet (but I expect he'll get one all the same)

Bit of a fans favourite, worked his socks off at Fratton Park on Saturday.

18month loan contract, ends at the end of the season.
    Then he will go back to roma as thier replacement for montela.

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. Well, if that's the case, and he does go back to Roma, and Keane does leave (which is looking increasingly likely) then surely Spurs should be looking for a long-term solution to partner Defoe instead of adding to their monopoly of midfielders. There was also a bunch of stories linking Kanoutè with other clubs.

• Advertisement

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. Well, if that's the case, and he does go back to Roma, and Keane does leave (which is looking increasingly likely) then surely Spurs should be looking for a long-term solution to partner Defoe instead of adding to their monopoly of midfielders.

By no means certain Mido will go back to Roma.

And look at the first post on the thread, we're supposed to be interested in Dirk Kuyt.

well roumer has it that they are trying to sign Kujit, he would be perfect to play defoe off.

I think Jol favours Defoe and would gladly sell the rest of the 3 strikers if he could find a suitable striker to complement Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Keane would work great at Newcastle off Shearer IMO. It'd be great from an Irish point of view for him to learn from someone who knows how to bury his bread and butter chances 100% of the time.

Keane mightn't be as quick as some strikers but he's still no slouch, and would do his fair share of work once Shearer was barking at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd love to see him move to Newcastle. Being first choice in a partnership with Shearer will do him the world of good. I'd take a guess that since Robbie made his debut for Wolves, every season he has been first choice up front he has been top scorer for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I wouldn't like Keane to go. Infuriating as he can be, he still has that spark that can ignite a game, and that's why I find him so entertaining. Unfortunately I think Defoe would score more goals given the same number of games as Robbie, and at the end of the day that's what it's about. I'm hearing loads about this guy Kujit - big, strong, 20 goals in the Dutch league (not as good as the premierhip of course), though I'm hearing 10 million! Seems like a lot.

And I don't really see where Jenas would play. I think he's a good player, but don't think he's much better than what we already have. I've been impressed with Tainio - he's a terrier and works really well with Carrick. Still, it's all positive news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I am a Spurs fan, and im dsperate for Robbie to stay! I think he is a fantastic player, with a wonderful goalscoring record. He is much better than Kanouté, but they're completely different players. Freddie, when he's good, he's great! But...

He doesnt play alongside Defoe often enough to judge whether they're good together-i think this would be a great pairing if given the chance this season.

From an Irish perspective, though, i think a move to Newcastle would be perfect for robbie- as somebody pointed out, he'd be learning the tricks of the trade from shearer, which can only help him improve!

As much as i like Jenas as a player, i am hoping we dont go in for him. I really think our midfield will suit perfect this season, and i really dont think we need him.

Im also hoping Mido stays on after this season.... :cool: Hes just so cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I am a Spurs fan, and im dsperate for Robbie to stay! I think he is a fantastic player, with a wonderful goalscoring record. He is much better than Kanouté, but they're completely different players. Freddie, when he's good, he's great! But...

Freddie is useless in my eyes, cant hold up the ball, cant head it and his positional sense is useless....see what the West Ham fans thought of him when Pardew was going to make a move for him! told him no way! I dont think Jol rates him either.....Mido is a much better option but not the best foil for Defoe....Crouch would have been a good buy for Spurs I think but da Pool got hi......Kujit would be the perfect striker for Spurs I think and if they get him then my tip for 4th will be certain

Anyway in regards to Robbie I dont think Souness every said that keane was not the type of striker he was looking for....where did this come from or just some random quote that was in The Sun? Souness from what I have heard and seen on Sky and a couple of websites rates Keane and thinks he would be a good addition to the Newcastle team.....would love to see him move up there because he is certain to get first team footie and would be great for WC!!!

P.S We will qualify!! :D

jubbly wrote:
    Souness is quoted as saying "..no I dont want that kind of striker.." in regard to Robbie Keane. A bit of a kick in the teeth, worse if he decides to go ahead with the deal and buy him.

Are you serious or just taking the pi**? how much have managers spent on Robbie so far in transfer fees? so they all spent millions and millions for a player that they thought his style didnt suit them!! haha! dont think so! Robbie style suits loads of managers its just to find the money for him is the problem!!

Again where is this quote from?

Well I would rather see Robbie playing week in week out in a lunatic club like Newcastle than sitting on the bench week in week out with a club on the rise such as Spurs. I think this will probably be shearers last season so Robbie might not learn a whole pile, still he would be learning from the best.

• Advertisement

As much as i like Jenas as a player, i am hoping we dont go in for him. I really think our midfield will suit perfect this season, and i really dont think we need him.

I think he's seen as one for the future rather than a necessary purchase now. He's unsettled at Newcastle and the Toon need cash to bring in a striker(s), so we've seen an opportunity. Now Sourness' valuation of him is off the wall IMO, so it depends on what sort of haggling Levy can do with Freddie Sheppard. I don't want to see us spend over the odds on a bench warmer, thats for sure.

He doesnt play alongside Defoe often enough to judge whether they're good together-i think this would be a great pairing if given the chance this season.

They were tried enough last season, its obvious that their styles of play don't compliment each other. For a start, neither is particularly strong in the air, and with us having Reid/Routledge on the wings, a decent header of the ball would be nice up front.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Freddie is useless in my eyes, cant hold up the ball, cant head it and his positional sense is useless

Have to disagree.

At one stage last season Kanoute was our best player, just shading it from Michael Brown. Don't believe me? Look at his goal away to Man City, his fantastic performance against Southampton (which I was at, and his ball control and positional sense were second to none).

Kanoute's problem is he gets drawn to the sideline too often, and as a result his goal scoring record isn't too great. Coupled with that his form is inconsistent. Its a pity, when he's on form he's a bloody good forward.

Im wondering, though, would it really be worth €5mil+Robbie? Come on, it should at least be the other way, Jenas+€5mil (I would say more, but im no good when it comes to transfers!)! Robbie is worth more than Jenas to me, atm, but i guess with Jenas as a future big player....would it be worth it in the long run?

Im wondering, though, would it really be worth €5mil+Robbie? Come on, it should at least be the other way, Jenas+€5mil (I would say more, but im no good when it comes to transfers!)! Robbie is worth more than Jenas to me, atm, but i guess with Jenas as a future big player....would it be worth it in the long run?

Tough call TBH.

Paper talk during the Summer had Robbie valued between 5 and 7 million, even at the lower end of the scale thats £10 million for Jenas. We would want to be certain of his ability to pay that out, and IMO he's not that fantastic a player. Of course, there may be payroll considerations at play here, keane is one of our top earners, and if we got Jenas in at say £10,000 a week less then thats a saving of £500,000+ a year. Add his resale value, and the fact we'll never get top dollar for Keane...

If I was in the position of decision maker at WHL, I'd be spending that £10 million on either a striker or a LB. We will lose at least on of our strikers before the season ends, so we need to get quality in.

Tough call TBH.

Paper talk during the Summer had Robbie valued between 5 and 7 million, even at the lower end of the scale thats £10 million for Jenas. We would want to be certain of his ability to pay that out, and IMO he's not that fantastic a player. Of course, there may be payroll considerations at play here, keane is one of our top earners, and if we got Jenas in at say £10,000 a week less then thats a saving of £500,000+ a year. Add his resale value, and the fact we'll never get top dollar for Keane...

If I was in the position of decision maker at WHL, I'd be spending that £10 million on either a striker or a LB. We will lose at least on of our strikers before the season ends, so we need to get quality in.

Is leeds not still paying some of Keane's wages? Remember that Jenas was bought for 5million a few seasons ago and he has only got better since then! still I wouldnt pay 10mil.....7-8mil would be more of my valuation but have to remember Souness is a crap manager and also has a valuation of 20mil on Given(who wont sign a contract) when Utd where sniffing around......10mil for Jenas and talk of letting Bowyer go for nothing! that man hasnt a clue!!

Also no chance of getting Jenas on 10K a week wages.....he would be close to 50K I would say already at Newcastle....

On an off point is Kelly injuryed or are they playing a differnet right back this season? last season whenever I watched Spurs he was one of the best players on the pitch!!

In regards to Kanoute I still dont rate him, have watched him for a number of seasons with WH and Spurs and he isnt anywhere near as good as Keane or Mido.....maybe you rate him but I dont think Jol rates him at all!

I think he's seen as one for the future rather than a necessary purchase now.
    The thing about Jenas though, he's been performing consistantly in the Premiership for what, two or three seasons now? Picking up a young player of the year in one. You'd have to wonder if he was one marked for the future, how much patience would he have. It's World Cup year, he's probably confident in his chances in making the England squad. You could argue he would have a better chance getting into the Arsenal starting 11. They've just lost a midfield general where Spurs have just bought one.

Big Nelly wrote:

Also no chance of getting Jenas on 10K a week wages.....he would be close to 50K I would say already at Newcastle....

10k less than Robbie, not 10k a week full stop. If he wants 50k, then he can whistle for it. That would put him on a par with Davids FFS!

If he doesn't want to come its no skin off our noses, its not as if we're stuck for options. He's the one who's supposed to want out of Newcastle after all.

Just on the Sky Sports News ticker, Fredi Kanoutè is gone to Seville! I wonder how this changes the Robbie Keane situation.

Just on the Sky Sports News ticker, Fredi Kanoutè is gone to Seville! I wonder how this changes the Robbie Keane situation.

This confirmed? just as I was sayign that Jol doesnt rate him! haha! Love it when Im right :D

Great news, Robbie is far more likely to get games at Spurs with just 3 strikers

• Advertisement

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=299393&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=2&title=Sevilla+capture+Kanoute&channel=football_home

Good news for Robbie, but could potentially open the door to a new signing that Jol wants, putting him even further back than he already was.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=299393&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=2&title=Sevilla+capture+Kanoute&channel=football_home

Good news for Robbie, but could potentially open the door to a new signing that Jol wants, putting him even further back than he already was.

Lets see...

Robbie was one of four strikers at WHL until 13:30 today.

Jol sells Kanoute, and probably buys a replacement.

Robbie is one of four strikers at WHL as a result.

Yep, even further back...

I'll say it again, Keane won't be first choice as long as Defoe is fit and on form (of which he is both right now) The rumoured arrival of Kuyt won't change that situation, because Kuy will be in competition with Mido for the other forward position. Keane will have to go elsewhere for regular first team football.

I really didn't want to see Kanoute go. I love watching him play - he's so skillful, particularly when bringing the ball down from a height. I know he didn't score that many goals throughout his Spurs career but he brings so much more to the team than goal scoring.

I can only hope that someone better than Kanoute is on his way now, otherwise why would Spurs sell him?

Any news on yeates making a break through or going on loan?

Lee Bernard (free-scoring in the stiffs) or El Hamdaoui will step up to the 1st team until a new signing materialises.

Worst comes to the worst, either Reid or Routledge could do a job just off a lone striker, but I really don't want us to have to make do.

• Advertisement

Lets see...

Robbie was one of four strikers at WHL until 13:30 today.

Jol sells Kanoute, and probably buys a replacement.

Robbie is one of four strikers at WHL as a result.

Yep, even further back...
    Well at 1330 today one could argue that Keane would possibly be third choice. If Jol signs a player Keane would find himself back in fourth place as Jol would only sign a player that he wants and could compete for position.

Its obvious now that Jol didnt want Kanoute, Jol had no hand in signing Kanoute, and if he signs a new player it is obvious thats Keane's chances of playing ahead of the new player would have been slimmer than those of playing ahead of Kanoute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think Robbie should get out of Spurs ASAP...they have sold Kanoute...but Keane was never competeing with him..Jol only wants a little and large combo, so it was Mido and Kanoute competeing for one spot, and as is still the case Keane and Defoe competeing for the other spot...now Kanoute is gone, Jol is signing another big lad to replace him..but the balance is still the same, and Keane will still warm the bench.

Personally, believe it or not, i'm no professional manager, but i think the old saying that you should pick your 11 best players, and adapt a system around them is the best style, and Keane and Defoe are the best strikers, so they should play. It's not like Spurs need to play a direct style of football to a big man with skilled strikers, and the amount of creativity in midfield! If he had any sense, he would play the quick break, pacy style Arsenal played to go 49 unbeaten..would suit their squad perfectly imo and get them into CL ... Jol just dosen't have the versatility in his coaching and tactical skill.

Also, I think Newcastle is perfect for Keane...he slots straight into the role Bellamy played, only Keane is better, plus he will play alongside Shearer and learn from him (even when he retires as he will stay on and coach), and when Shearers gone, he'll be first choice striker. It's a big club, and, if only Keane could get a run of first choice striker at a big club for just one season in the premiership, i think we would be suprised at how good he actually is! It's much harder to preform when you're in and out of a team all the time, but play week in week out, he would be superb! He just always seems to get screwed over with managers...the ones who play him or sign him are always gone soon after (coincidence i assure you), and he always falls out of favour with the new managers :/

Please move......
    (although Souness will be sacked soon after signing him....again, coincidence, but this time there's no competition in the squad :D)

I can't see Jol selling Keane before signing someone else. There's only what, 2 weeks left before the transfer window closes? If he couldn't get the man he wanted after selling both Kanoute and Keane he would be too short of cover there.

Italian striker thinks over Spurs move
    28/08/2005 - 10:04:05

Italy striker Cristiano Lucarelli is considering a move to Tottenham before the transfer window closes on Wednesday.

The Livorno skipper, the top scorer in Serie A last season with 24 goals, told Teletext: “I can’t deny there have been contacts. Up until now I have not considered any offers of a move but now I am going to take 48 hours.”

Lucarelli scored against one of his former clubs on the opening day of the Serie A season yesterday as Livorno notched a 2-1 win over Lecce.

He has also played for Valencia and Torino.http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/08/28/story218166.html

If this fella goes to Spurs the Robbie hasnt a chance. Time to go before the transfer deadline Robbie. Anywhere

Aw, if we got Lucarelli....bye bye robbie! Ive been annoyed at his lack of playing, couldnt comprehend why jol wouldnt play him. But if Lucarelli came in, i wouldnt care anymore!!

• Advertisement

Robbie keane may jump ship because he will be doing a Clinton Morrison for 12 months on the bench otherwise.

Your crap robbie. You and all your stupid flicks and tricks have been found out.

Robbie is certainly not crap. Pure bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If he stays at spurs its not good for ireland. He should of handed in a transfer request at the start of the summer.

I do agree, but being a Spurs fan i am hoping he does stay. But from an Ireland point of view, he needs to move. Only where, i dont know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

jubbly wrote:
    Robbie keane may jump ship because he will be doing a Clinton Morrison for 12 months on the bench otherwise.

Your crap robbie. You and all your stupid flicks and tricks have been found out.

Come on.. he was spurs top scorer last season from the bench and is Irelands top scorer and is still quite young. Granted IMO he may not be a top top quality striker but the facts speak for themselves.

Board@Work wrote:
    Come on.. he was spurs top scorer last season from the bench and is Irelands top scorer and is still quite young. Granted IMO he may not be a top top quality striker but the facts speak for themselves.

Hand on heart, I think this account on boards is being used by more than one person.
    jubbly wrote:
    Well I would rather see Robbie playing week in week out in a lunatic club like Newcastle than sitting on the bench week in week out with a club on the rise such as Spurs. I think this will probably be shearers last season so Robbie might not learn a whole pile, still he would be learning from the best.
    jubbly wrote:
    Great news, Robbie is far more likely to get games at Spurs with just 3 strikers

Then this?
    jubbly wrote:

Bizarre.

See further here

:D

nah, im on record saying robbie is a good player not a great player. I just think Jol is reshaping spurs and Robbie isnt part of his plans. Getting rid of kanuote and trying to bring in this italian fella doesnt look for Robbie.

If the italian striker arrives then I think Robbie will be releagted to the bench.

As for Mick.. well to be honest, I havent a clue if he can stay up. Maybe he can. I dont think so but maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Hand on heart, I think this account on boards is being used by more than one person.

Then this?

Bizarre.

See further here
    Yeh there does seem to be something strange here.

Hand on heart, I think this account on boards is being used by more than one person

ehh why quote me?? :confused:

Sorry I understand little slow today .. monday morn and all..

• Advertisement
Advertisement