Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky News headlines tonight

• 16-08-2005 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

8pm headline tonight - Madonna in hospital following fall of horse... few broken bones.

By the way, turmoil in Gaza strip and plane crash somewhere... yadda yadda...

Good old Sky News....

edit - just checked 9pm news headlines... Madonna only making 2nd headline.
    Shock....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I suppose they can classify it under "breaking" news! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got a shock - 47!? Looking good.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

This is Sky News catering to what their audience are likely to be interested in, nothing shocking about it I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

How about Mondays front page headline in the Daily Mirror 'Woman who won Euro Lotto was born in England'.
    Gasp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The Gaza thing is not fresh news, the Madonna thing is. As much and all as I hate it, Madonna holds more immediate interest for some people. It's not like they've completely ignored other issues.

It's a 24hour channel, they have to have "breaking news" every few hours :)

• Advertisement

That is one of the annoying things about them. They still have the captions "Breaking News" or "News Flash" hours after a story has been reported.

It'll still be breaking news by the time her leg heals up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ciaranfo wrote:
    As much and all as I hate it, Madonna holds more immediate interest for some people.

I think you can rephrase that to "Madonna holds more immediate interest for the majority of Sky News viewers" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

To be fair people who watch Sky generally only watch it intently for about 12mins- so they can afford to lead with things like Madonna top of the hour.

If people are interested in Gaza as a more indepth story they'll stay through things like the Madonna story to hear about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Treated herself to a little 'pick me up'.....

madonna-ferrari.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Yea, they have their priorities all screwed up on news...

but were no better here either
    example...

the morning it was announced that Dimebag Darrel Abbot (ex. Pantera Guitarist) was shot dead on stage I was stuck in work and was trying all the Irish radio stations every hour on the hour for any news reports about it... not one!!!!

yet you’d be damn sure if Justin Timberlake sprained his ankle it would be mentioned at every bulletin during the day

• Advertisement

Their blanket coverage of stories can be a bit much. Even with a big story it is still nice to see a bit of something else during the hour. Sometimes they really go overboard. In 1997, when Princess Diana died, it seemed as if they were lucky she did as they reported no other news for a week. If she hadn't died they'd have had have gone off air as nothing else appeared to have happened for that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Sky News is easily the worst news channel around. I hate it almost as much as I hate the Evening Herald or BBC NI.

I remember recently I read in a Sunday paper an article about the bombings in London that seperated fact from fiction a few weeks after the bombs actually went off. I read through the myths and realised that every single myth I had previously heard of I had heard off Sky News. The article wasn't outright targeting Sky News or any other media organisation but it was obvious to anyone who had followed the news coverage of the terrorist attacks that these myths were being propagated specifically by Sky News and weren't just myths being spead around by word of mouth or weblogs.

I especially love their Sunrise morning news programme - it's more about the heavily scripted 'light banter' between the two shiny presenters with perfect postures than it is about anything newsworthy. That said I did see a report about the birth of two cats of some sort in a zoo somewhere which was apparently newsworthy because it was unusual for the two cats to mate while in captivity. Nothing was mentioned of whether or not these cats were endangered, just that the kittens were doing well. What baffled me was that the cats were born over a month prior to the date the news was broken, but I presume since Sky News are so swift with their breaking news flashes that it wasn't any error on their part in terms of how fresh the news was - obviously no one had noticed the birth of the kittens for a whole month until shortly before I had seen it on TV, which was when their 'roaming reporters' must have rushed to the scene on word that the kittens had just been discovered.

There is no in-depth coverage on the channel and the one time they did produce some sort of (probably self-proclaimed) expert on Iraq to talk about the constitution they interrupted him to go live to some other 'breaking news' which basically consisted of the mother of a murdered girl appearing for the first time at the scene of her murder to see where it was etc. The 'roaming reporter' in this instance was standing less than two metres from where this woman had shown up in hysterics with grief. There was nothing newsworthy about that particular 'breaking news' because there wasn't anything more to the story except to intrude on this poor woman's most desperate woman for the consumption of Sky News viewers.

Advertisement