Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sourness whinging again!

• 16-08-2005 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4156464.stm
    He told Newcastle's website: "Part of me is angry about the timing of these games. They are Mickey Mouse games, and I've got six or seven players away.

"You will not find a manager who thinks it is a good idea to play these games a week into the new season.

<snip>

And Souness has had to lead training without the likes of Shay Given, Stephen Carr, Jermaine Jenas, James Milner, Emre, Jean-Alain Boumsong and Amdy Faye.

"The players are still finding their feet in the Premiership, then they're taken away from their clubs for a meaningless game," Souness added.

FFS, has he stopped whining since the end of last season? He sells six squad members, replaces them with two. Theres your problem Graham, not the bloody friendlies! Spurs have 13 away this week, is Martin Jol complaining? Is he making his excuses now for when it all goes tits up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

FFS, has he stopped whining since the end of last season? He sells six squad members, replaces them with two. Theres your problem Graham, not the bloody friendlies!
    He's signed five players. Lee Clark, Craig Moore, Emre, Parker and Tim Krul. He's sold so many players because he is breaking up a team which he had no involvement putting together.

Whats the point in starting the season proper only for it to be disrupted in the first week? Why not have the internationals last week? His team put in a solid performance at the weekend, something they could have certainly built on despite the loss, yet he is left with only a handful of first teamers for training until probably Friday. They play again on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

For one of those very rare seconds... I actually agree with Graeme Souness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

i'd happily see an end to club football to watch international football so can't agree with Souness. He has a point but I couldn't live without international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    i'd happily see an end to club football to watch international football so can't agree with Souness. He has a point but I couldn't live without international football.

Whois going to pay the players. Plus the fact that each country would have a grand total of about 30 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    i'd happily see an end to club football to watch international football

Hmmm, interesting...

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Whois going to pay the players. Plus the fact that each country would have a grand total of about 30 players.
    Didn't mean it as a serious point but anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Serious or not what sicko could think like that!!! :D Imagine life without club football...painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah, lets not say things we cannot take back Eirebhoy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

One of these threads pops up every so often about the International footie thing!!! why bother complaining about it when u know about it and u know it happens every season! Souness is a joke of a manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Big Nelly wrote:
    One of these threads pops up every so often about the International footie thing!!! why bother complaining about it when u know about it and u know it happens every season! Souness is a joke of a manager!

sorry but jokes are generally funny, Soooonesss is a twat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

souness is a twat, these are not mickey mouse games they're preperation for the last 2/3 qualifiers for the world cup, the biggest football competition on earth. he'll be managing mickey mouse football when he gets newcastle relegated

Davei141 wrote:
    Serious or not what sicko could think like that!!! :D Imagine life without club football...painful.
    I am serious about choosing the small amount of internationals a year over all the club matches if I had the choice. I don't mean to turn it into a debate though as its just not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He's signed five players. Lee Clark, Craig Moore, Emre, Parker and Tim Krul. He's sold so many players because he is breaking up a team which he had no involvement putting together.

Sorry, forgot about the filler. Surprised he hasn't enticed Dean Saunders out of retirement...

He has a piss and a moan about everything these days. Its not as if he's the only manager affected. How many Arsenal players are on duty? Chelsea? ManYoo?

As pointed out, its preperation for the run in to the WC.
    Why not have the internationals last week

What, and have him complain about them affecting his Inter Two Bob Cup campaign, or his preperation for the match at the Library? Give us a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Graham Sounness is a big monster dick who ruins every club he gets hold off, and needs to be lobotomised, and be made a soccer pundit.

Phew! I needed to get that off my chest since last night. See here.

Thanks for the access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He has a piss and a moan about everything these days. Its not as if he's the only manager affected. How many Arsenal players are on duty? Chelsea? ManYoo?QUOTE]

Have Ferguson and Wenger not moaned about the same thing in the past?

Stekelly wrote:

Have Ferguson and Wenger not moaned about the same thing in the past?

Yep, but way to miss my point. He's complaining about the effect this will have on his task as manager of Newcastle, yet it will have just as much of an effect on other premiership managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep.
    However Souness is silly if he is trying to get some traingin done.
    Nearly every single Man Utd CHelsea and Arsenal player are internationals, so theres no point in having any training.
    In a sense its worse for Sounness, cause he has half a squad left.
    ---

btw eirebhoy:

Do you think you'd feel the same about Irish football if we had a couple of premiership size and quality clubs in Ireland?
    I know I'd be from Dublin before I'd be from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

souness is such a joke, awful, awful manager, cant believe they ever appointed him - on the verge of being sacked by blackburn he was, cant believe he hasnt been sacked yet but then again, freddie sheppard is a useless chairman so its not all that surprising.....but anyway these games are not pointless, theyre some match practice before the final stages of qualification for the one and only world cup, id understand if he bitched and moaned about a pointless tournament like the confederations cup....**** hes useless!

Sorry, forgot about the filler. Surprised he hasn't enticed Dean Saunders out of retirement...
    Yes because Lee Clark and Craig Moore are of the mammoth ages of 32 and 29. He's signed two and a half times the players you originally said.
    He has a piss and a moan about everything these days. Its not as if he's the only manager affected. How many Arsenal players are on duty? Chelsea? ManYoo?

As pointed out, its preperation for the run in to the WC.
    Hence why he said:

"You will not find a manager who thinks it is a good idea to play these games a week into the new season"

and

"It's not fair on the paying customer, not just at Newcastle but right up and down the country."

seems to me that he hardly thinks he is the only one affected. He's not having a moan for his sake, he's trying to raise an issue that affects all clubs, and he's right.
    What, and have him complain about them affecting his Inter Two Bob Cup campaign, or his preperation for the match at the Library? Give us a break.
    Well at least it wouldn't make the opening game of the English season pretty pointless. Its back to square one next week for a lot of managers.

Great to see all the Souness haters out in force. After all he did "ruin" Blackburn taking them from the first division to Europe through the league and winning a cup on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

After all he did "ruin" Blackburn taking them from the first division to Europe through the league and winning a cup on the way.

Ask Lemlin on here about what he did or didnt do to blackburn! he is a Blackburn supporter for years!!

• Advertisement

Well at least it wouldn't make the opening game of the English season pretty pointless. Its back to square one next week for a lot of managers.

I fail to see how it made last weeks matches pointless. Is it the break in training that upsets momentum? If thats the case then a match last week would have done the same, yes? Whatever way you look at it, any series of international matches means a break from club training, whether its the week before or the week after the season starts.

For the record, Sourness won 54 full caps for Scotland. I wonder did he ever play a meaningless friendly or two...
    Great to see all the Souness haters out in force. After all he did "ruin" Blackburn taking them from the first division to Europe through the league and winning a cup on the way.

He's had a great first year at Newcastle. One fit striker for the start of the season (after letting Kuivert and Bellamy go), and he let his ego drive away the two most talented players at St James Park, Bellamy and Robert.

How did his on again/off again relationship with Dwight Yorke work out again?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ask Lemlin on here about what he did or didnt do to blackburn! he is a Blackburn supporter for years!!
    Or just look at the facts.

He took them up from Division One having finished mid-table the previous year with a tally of points that would win the division in a lot of other years (Fulham got 101 points that year).

Finished 10th, 6th, and 15th (well clear of relegation however) in the subsequent years in the Premier League, and also won the league cup for the first time in their history, and their first cup win for 75 years.

Yes, ruined them.

I fail to see how it made last weeks matches pointless. Is it the break in training that upsets momentum?
    Yes. They will go straight from last weeks game into this weeks game as they played/will play Sun/Sat without a single full days training to address what went right and what went wrong.
    If thats the case then a match last week would have done the same, yes? Whatever way you look at it, any series of international matches means a break from club training, whether its the week before or the week after the season starts.
    I just threw out why not play them last week as a suggestion off the top of my head. Whats the point in playing internationals one game into the season? Why not play an extra one with the June internationals? Nothing has changed since then.

Im not one of these that thinks all friendlies are meaningless but I fail to see the point in disrupting the season the second it starts.
    For the record, Sourness won 54 full caps for Scotland. I wonder did he ever play a meaningless friendly or two...
    Well the reality of it is, probably not all that many. I wonder did he ever play one having only played a single competitive game in the season.
    He's had a great first year at Newcastle.
    I would put it more as a troubled first year. In April they were still in the semi finals of two cup competitions, and still in with a shout of Europe through the league. Then on-field bust ups between hot headed players that he played no part in signing saw the team fall apart and them lose six on the trot.
    One fit striker for the start of the season (after letting Kuivert and Bellamy go)
    Two fit strikers, one is suspended. Bellamy wasnt there last year, and Kluivert was a waste of money. Neither Souness's decisions however.
    and he let his ego drive away the two most talented players at St James Park, Bellamy and Robert.
    His ego? Are we talking about the same players that refused to play for the club at times? The same players that lied to the media as to why they were not selected? Yes, his ego ;)
    How did his on again/off again relationship with Dwight Yorke work out again?
    Ah yes, Dwight Yorke, another model professional on and off the field. He also found the door at Old Trafford fairly sharpish didnt he? I suppose that is Souness's fault as well?

I would put it more as a troubled first year. In April they were still in the semi finals of two cup competitions, and still in with a shout of Europe through the league. Then on-field bust ups between hot headed players that he played no part in signing saw the team fall apart and them lose six on the trot.

And yet both players are still at the club, and near certainties for the first XI. Contrast that with Bellamy and Robert.
    His ego? Are we talking about the same players that refused to play for the club at times? The same players that lied to the media as to why they were not selected? Yes, his ego ;)

You won't find me denying that both players are ars*holes, but then a great deal of professional footballers are prima donnas, so what do you expect? Sourness' "crime" was to allow his own ego to get in the way of keeping two very talented players, who with the right man-management could do a job for the club. I've never had a problem with the man's tactical awareness, but sooner or later he lets that monster ego of his get in the way. It will happen at Newcastle.

Ah yes, Dwight Yorke, another model professional on and off the field. He also found the door at Old Trafford fairly sharpish didnt he? I suppose that is Souness's fault as well?

Did I say it was? You either have a problem with the player or you don't. Sourness mouthed off about him in public, then made like he was happy to welcome him back into the fold. Lacking in people skills would probably be the best judgement of him...

And yet both players are still at the club, and near certainties for the first XI. Contrast that with Bellamy and Robert.
    Both players have shown a desire to stay, despite in Bowyer's case being touted to other clubs, thats why they are still there. Contrast that to Robert and Bellamy.
    You won't find me denying that both players are ars*holes, but then a great deal of professional footballers are prima donnas, so what do you expect? Sourness' "crime" was to allow his own ego to get in the way of keeping two very talented players, who with the right man-management could do a job for the club.
    The two players have been trouble long before the arrival of Souness. And what do they base their fiery reputations on? What have either player ever achieved in the game? Whats Bellamys record for goals in a season? 15? How many caps has Robert got? 5?

These two players have believed their own hype for too long. Souness was right to sihp them out.
    Did I say it was? You either have a problem with the player or you don't. Sourness mouthed off about him in public, then made like he was happy to welcome him back into the fold. Lacking in people skills would probably be the best judgement of him...
    Well Bellamy could learn something from that too ;)

Im not saying Souness is a great man-manager, but he takes no sh1t, something that Newcastle needed badly. He has signed some class players, who come with good attitudes, more are expected, and judging by Sundays showing, they will do a lot better than people think.

And back on topic, he is dead right to point out the idiocy to have friendlies at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I reckon that Souness will be the first manager sacked this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I reckon that Souness will be the first manager sacked this year...

I've got money on it :D

Advertisement