Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipod Question

Options
  • 16-08-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Im looking into buying a bipod , probably a harris one , and I was wondering what length would be best. The 6-9 inch one is the right size for using prone but not long enough for sitting , and the 12-25 is right for sitting but not for prone. Any of the ones in between don't seem useful for either. (If it is relevent , it would be used in a hunting role, more than just targets) It is a decision between the two and any input / experiences on the subject would be greatly appreciated. or even if you want to recommend a differant make...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I have a Harris Series S, Model LM bipod on my .22LR and I'm very happy with it. It adjusts from 9'' to 13'' and seems to perfect for me when shooting prone, i rarely have the legs fully extended at that. I figured that the larger models where just to long and the shorter ones would be uncomfortable. But I must say that the quality of the Harris stuff is excellent, top notch engineering.

I still have the booklet that came with my one here, they come as follows;

Model BR 6 to 9 inches
    Model L/LM 9 to 13 inches
    Model H 13 1/2 to 22 inches
    Model 25/25C 12 to 25 inches

All come in a "S series" version bar the H, which is a hinged base, very handy when shooting on sloping ground.

I'd go for the L/LM if the others would be too long, I think the BR is to short for hunting use, Harris themselves recommend it as for shooting off a bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I have a Harris Bipod S-25C on my Anschutz 1710. It reaches from 13" to 27" and can be used in the sitting position. However, I found that if you see a rabbit when standing, it invariably disappears when you go to the kneeling or sitting position and I now only use it if setting the scope. I bought a full length bipod from Cabelas in the US. The price was around $37, but it has not arrived yet so I can't give a verdict. It is telescopic and clips to your belt when not in use.
    You should have a look at their site www.cabelas.com, go to shop, hunting/optics, hunting accessories, shooting sticks/bipods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I had seen full size ones somewhee before in a magazine but I dont know if they'd be any use to me. As far as I can remember , I've never taken a hunting shot standing upright (but I wont rule the possibilty out) . When are you expecting yours? I have until the 1st of September to make my decision you see.

_edit_ About the M - series , what exactly are leg notches?
    Also , does the 9-13 model measure exactly 9 inches from top to bottom when the legs a contracted or is it nine inch legs plus the mechanism equalling about 10 1/2 inches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

-I bought a Outers bipod from ebay its and exact copy of a harris bipod and is good quaility. Its 9-13" i had it on my .22wmr but didnt find it useful for hunting at all i've just shot targets with it and have practiced on shooting off the shoulder for hunting. I sold it to a gun dealer in kilkenny so if your in the area he might still have it.

The link to the auction i bought it off is
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52509&item=7169198531

I had seen full size ones somewhee before in a magazine but I dont know if they'd be any use to me. As far as I can remember , I've never taken a hunting shot standing upright (but I wont rule the possibilty out) . When are you expecting yours? I have until the 1st of September to make my decision you see.

_edit_ About the M - series , what exactly are leg notches?
    Also , does the 9-13 model measure exactly 9 inches from top to bottom when the legs a contracted or is it nine inch legs plus the mechanism equalling about 10 1/2 inches?
    The notches are "steps" in the legs that a spring loaded pin clicks into and that's how you set them at a particular height, there's seven I think, haven't counted.

The heights given i.e. 9"-13", the booklet says that's the height of the barrel, I'd have to measure my own to be more accurate, I will if you think it'll help your decision.

• Advertisement

No need. Based on that then I think I require the 9-13 one. In prone , I measured 9 1/2 inches to the swivel stud so that ones seems perfect. I will be going for a swivel model but Im still not sure about the leg notches. Because they move in set distances , does that not make them less versatile than the standard models?

_edit_ although 7 notches over 4 inches does seem versatile enough , and the swivel might compensate for any difference in levels.

No need. Based on that then I think I require the 9-13 one. In prone , I measured 9 1/2 inches to the swivel stud so that ones seems perfect. I will be going for a swivel model but Im still not sure about the leg notches. Because they move in set distances , does that not make them less versatile than the standard models?

_edit_ although 7 notches over 4 inches does seem versatile enough , and the swivel might compensate for any difference in levels.
    Ok I just counted and including fully extended and fullly closed there are 6 discrete heights to choose, from my experience that's plenty and can always find one to suit. Also the "LM" legs are spring loaded also which the "L" is not I think.

The swivel of the S series is a nice feature to have, saves any adjusting of the legs to get the crosshair back to vertical when shooting along a slope.

Okay , I have decide to get the 9-13 , with the leg notches and swivel.
    Thats the LM-S , I think.

Thanks

Okay , I have decide to get the 9-13 , with the leg notches and swivel.
    Thats the LM-S , I think.

Thanks
    Yip that's it.
    Just a side note, what type of sling swivel studs are on your stock because you may need a adapter if there not the type with just a hole straight true them. Like these.

Nah , I have checked , it's just a standard stud. Thanks for your help though , I really appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement